Infinity Kappa

blazeaglory

Will Infinity ever come out with an new model Kappa series tower? Does Infinity even make hifi speakers anymore? I know they make good speakers but it seems they lost something since the days of the huge towers?

I doubt that you will ever see anything like the "golden age of Infinity" ever again. With the departure of Arnie Nudell and the sell-out to Harman International, they are relegated to the big box store market. They are working at rapidly destroying (if they already haven't), the JBL and Mark Levinson brands as well.

I doubt that you will ever see anything like the "golden age of Infinity" ever again. With the departure of Arnie Nudell and the sell-out to Harman International, they are relegated to the big box store market. They are working at rapidly destroying (if they already haven't), the JBL and Mark Levinson brands as well.
You can add Revel speakers to that list.

I wonder why?

I can guarantee that if Infinity put out a similar line for hi end audio, it would sell out. Dont they realize that the wage gap has increased towards the rich? haha

Either way, I want to see some new ultra hi end Infinity's (add JBL and the others to that list as well)

Unfortunately audio is dead

I wonder why?

I can guarantee that if Infinity put out a similar line for hi end audio, it would sell out. Dont they realize that the wage gap has increased towards the rich? haha

Either way, I want to see some new ultra hi end Infinity's (add JBL and the others to that list as well)
Audiophiles are a dying breed.

Audiophiles are a dying breed.

Not so sure. There are some VERY nice speakers being made in a price range where the sky is the limit. Wide range of prices on very nice new gear as well. Emotiva comes to mind as high end gear for the masses. (very nice stuff btw)

Someone must be buying it or there would be no market for it. Prices for used gear has gone way up in the last 10 years or so. Good stuff on CL is gone in mear minutes. Plenty of philes out there...

Infinity has been owned by Harman since 1983 and the end of high end didn't come until the late 1990s. The departure of Arnie (1990 or 1991) might be more closely related, but I suspect there's not just one cause that can be pointed at as the reason for their downward quality trend. It might be indirectly related to the Harman takeover; as Harman increased their portfolio of subsidiaries they probably realized that having multiple brands competing against each other in the same space didn't make sense (although I didn't see any brand in their current holdings that competes directly with Infinity's classic line), or it may be just, as another poster mentioned, that audiophiles are a dying breed and that there wasn't enough profit to justify the expensive development and manufacture of high-end models.

Not so sure. There are some VERY nice speakers being made in a price range where the sky is the limit. Wide range of prices on very nice new gear as well. Emotiva comes to mind as high end gear for the masses. (very nice stuff btw)

Someone must be buying it or there would be no market for it. Prices for used gear has gone way up in the last 10 years or so. Good stuff on CL is gone in mear minutes. Plenty of philes out there...

I agree.

I like Infinity and all, but I doubt that.

Is it people just want to vintage Kappas (or other Infinitys)? I could totally see a really big promotion for a new Kappa line going over really well. At least something similar.

Why dont you think they would sell? I dont mean mass market, Im talking about extreme high end

Infinity has been owned by Harman since 1983 and the end of high end didn't come until the late 1990s. The departure of Arnie (1990 or 1991) might be more closely related, but I suspect there's not just one cause that can be pointed at as the reason for their downward quality trend. It might be indirectly related to the Harman takeover; as Harman increased their portfolio of subsidiaries they probably realized that having multiple brands competing against each other in the same space didn't make sense (although I didn't see any brand in their current holdings that competes directly with Infinity's classic line), or it may be just, as another poster mentioned, that audiophiles are a dying breed and that there wasn't enough profit to justify the expensive development and manufacture of high-end models.

I could see that. I never really liked it when different companies were absorbed into one big company. It dilutes the products IMO

Also, in regards to the "polydome", how good of a mid range (or speaker in general) is it?

Is it a good design for sound and just expensive to make? Why dont we see more of them in speaker systems today?

Also, in regards to the "polydome", how good of a mid range (or speaker in general) is it?

Is it a good design for sound and just expensive to make? Why dont we see more of them in speaker systems today?

It was a good design, Genesis loudspeakers used it in a few different speaker models when Arnie Nudel was with them, the dome was made of titanium, they even used a similar version of the emit-r, here are some pics.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 110
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 108
  • 470958-genesis_vi_speakers.jpg
    470958-genesis_vi_speakers.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:
It was a good design, Genesis loudspeakers used it in a few different speaker models when Arnie Nudel was with them, the dome was made of titanium, they even used a similar version of the emit-r, here are some pics.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

I love that second pair of speakers, very nice!

1. Genesis III
2. Genesis V
3. Not sure, seems related to the Genesis 400, but that model has twin woofers and no midbass. This one appears to have a single woofer and a midbass.

Back
Top Bottom