Infinity Qb - Need advise

kwape

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I just grabbed these speakers. I've never heard any Infinity speakers till now, these sound like they have some potential. They will need some tlc, but I would like to bring them back to life cosmetically and sonically. One cabinet has some moisture damage, I will need to give the faces a light sanding and repaint in black. All drivers are working. Though I think there's air leaks on the woofers. Seems like the rubber surrounds are loose in some areas on the basket. Does anyone know if new surrounds can be bought for these?

I've had no luck e-mailing rick cobb.

on the crossover there's one cap labeled 7750 C11. Does anyone know what the value is?

Infinity%20Qb%20Speakers%20004_zpsltbu5m09.jpg

two pots on this model

Infinity%20Qb%20Speakers%20005_zpsnbjbx2vz.jpg

Infinity%20Qb%20Speakers%20008_zps23fwyo7w.jpg

Infinity%20Qb%20Speakers%20009_zpsfcitcjh5.jpg

Infinity%20Qb%20Speakers%20010_zpskv56qm1o.jpg

I will need to make a new frame for one grill. I can get that done no problem. Need to find new grill cloth in a similar color

Infinity%20Qb%20Speakers%20011_zpshx4i3kmz.jpg

Qb are good speakers. here is the tech sheet. silver 12.5 cap is due for replacement. the yellow 6.8 is ok. since the rubber surrounds generally don't deteriorate, you may be able to just glue them back in place. they look better with black grill cloth.

Attachments

• infinity_qb.pdf_1.png
    infinity_qb.pdf_1.png
    26.3 KB · Views: 48
thank you. I have been able to re-glue the surrounds. I'll get the caps ordered.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 69
From my own personal experiences, I'm in complete agreement with Loquatious, replace the silver cap, KEEP the yellow cap. I would add that you should clean the pots with some contact cleaner like D5, run a bead of glue around the insides of the cabinets to make sure they are sealed, and add about 50% more stuffing as they are a bit boomy around 100 Hz. A simple brace for the baffle helped too.

They are a nice introduction to Infinity speakers.

thanks for the input. I'm getting them fixed up. to what level cosmetically depends on how well I like them. I've got the faces painted, you can tell the one speaker that had the moisture damage. I may consider redoing that one with some wood filler and re-paint. Along with new veneer.

right now i'm just going to focus on the x-over, fixing the grills with new cloth, and bracing. If I really like them i'll go crazy with inductors and veneering, just for fun.

I have glued the woofers all around.

Attachments

• in 001.jpg
    in 001.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 80
  • in 002.jpg
    in 002.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 64
  • in 003.jpg
    in 003.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 56
spending money

decided to have these veneered, my first attempt at veneering a speaker. They aren't too big, but will require some wood filler. I think this is a good speaker to learn on. I just don't like the condition they're in cosmetically, it may be hard to tell in the photos, but its been bothering me and needs to be fixed.

I was going to go crazy and spend on some clarity caps but opted for the solens and veneer instead. Along with black grill cloth, binding posts, and some wellbond adhesive from madisound. Solens from partsconnexion as part of a large order of stuff I needed from them anyways. Their prices and variety of products is nice but their shipping has always been slow and frustrating in my experience.

For veneer I purchased a 4'x10' sheet of red birch 10 mil paper backed http://www.ebay.com/itm/291534494317?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

can anyone speak on what's the best adhesive method for a rookie to use. The cold bond stuff is easily available everywhere but looking for an experienced opinion. I was considering tung oil as a finish. The tung oil worked well on my amplifier project oak pieces.

They will look great with real wood veneer! Tung oil is a good choice too.

If there is a lot of water damage to one of the baffles, you could easily replace it. You could mirror the speakers when you did it too!

no more water damage. I used some wood filler. But next time I will buy new wood for the baffle. wood filler is a real pita and requires lots of patience. I have them painted both sides with rattle can textured finish. It's as good as I can get with spray paint. You may notice some areas look darker than others and there's nothing I can do about it. Adding more layers doesn't help. Once the can spits out a dark spot then that's just what is gona be. I even sanded and repainted but the results were the same. Have to wait 48 hours for a full cure then some semi gloss polyurethane I will put on tomorrow. New grill frame in process as well. I would like to have these ready for veneer when the supplies arrive. I went with the better bond heatlock glue. Since everyone says it's so easy and I've never done this.:smoke:

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
baffles n' stuff

I have the baffles painted. The inconsistencies in tone from the spray paint evened out some after 4 coats of polyurethane. I think I can live with them as they are now.

The grill frame has been made and painted. Biscuit joints.:smoke:

001_zpstbpbz6tl.jpg

002_zpsc2cyqx8q.jpg

004_zpslzq3aecw.jpg

003_zpsiiol31qj.jpg

since I have filled the holes in the baffle that had water damage and built the grill frame for it, might be nice to use magnets instead of the stock grill holders.

005_zpsdc0eh4bo.jpg

red birch. looks promising :thmbsp:

real milk tung oil on order. now I can start the fun part. veneering, then crossovers.

Last edited:
If those are the original frames, they have a dent beside the tweeter, to help horizontal dispersion.

(Edited, I see you re-built the frames) If you can, try to make that dent present in the originals.

no more water damage. I used some wood filler. But next time I will buy new wood for the baffle. wood filler is a real pita and requires lots of patience. I have them painted both sides with rattle can textured finish. It's as good as I can get with spray paint. You may notice some areas look darker than others and there's nothing I can do about it. Adding more layers doesn't help. Once the can spits out a dark spot then that's just what is gona be. I even sanded and repainted but the results were the same. Have to wait 48 hours for a full cure then some semi gloss polyurethane I will put on tomorrow. New grill frame in process as well. I would like to have these ready for veneer when the supplies arrive. I went with the better bond heatlock glue. Since everyone says it's so easy and I've never done this.:smoke:

Where did you find rattle can textured paint?

it's just cheap rust-oleum black textured spray paint. They sell it at Wal-Mart, home depot in my area. If I was to do this again I would try the krylon version of this paint. Krylon tends to spray evenly and would likely do so in textured finish as well. No stores I found sell krylon so you may have to order that one online if you choose.

gotten the cabinets prepped. Sanded with 100grit and filled.

Kenwood%20KA-6006%20004_zpsuaa94hih.jpg

Kenwood%20KA-6006%20003_zpsxntrpmgs.jpg

001_zpsapgr9ygs.jpg

002_zpsygv2aplm.jpg

Kenwood%20KA-6006%20008_zpstgbznyht.jpg

screw holes filled

003_zpsa0h9cdav.jpg

004_zpsueg9lyur.jpg

Last edited:
They look ready to go! I can't wait to see how they turn out.

Be sure to get every bit of dust off them before you try to glue the laminate.

I just grabbed these speakers. I've never heard any Infinity speakers till now, these sound like they have some potential. They will need some tlc, but I would like to bring them back to life cosmetically and sonically. One cabinet has some moisture damage, I will need to give the faces a light sanding and repaint in black. All drivers are working. Though I think there's air leaks on the woofers. Seems like the rubber surrounds are loose in some areas on the basket. Does anyone know if new surrounds can be bought for these?

I've had no luck e-mailing rick cobb.

on the crossover there's one cap labeled 7750 C11. Does anyone know what the value is?

Infinity%20Qb%20Speakers%20004_zpsltbu5m09.jpg

two pots on this model

Infinity%20Qb%20Speakers%20005_zpsnbjbx2vz.jpg

Infinity%20Qb%20Speakers%20008_zps23fwyo7w.jpg

Infinity%20Qb%20Speakers%20009_zpsfcitcjh5.jpg

Infinity%20Qb%20Speakers%20010_zpskv56qm1o.jpg

I will need to make a new frame for one grill. I can get that done no problem. Need to find new grill cloth in a similar color

Infinity%20Qb%20Speakers%20011_zpshx4i3kmz.jpg

While it looks like you are making excellent headway, if the cabinets fail for some reason, I do have two that I can part with that are in pretty darn good shape. I picked them up cheap as I needed donor parts. If not, they will sit until I decide it is time to rebuild them for real.

Nice work and congrats! You are on the road to many more Infinity models! :yes:

After a couple more applications with the wood filler, got them really clean. One Cabinet done veneering. I think they will look crazy after tung oil. Sanded with 320 grit

002_zpsbcentu5w.jpg

003_zpshlfrav8y.jpg

004_zpsld6oshyo.jpg

005_zps4kgodq89.jpg

007_zps9mtojuct.jpg

008_zpsqkl7qa1v.jpg

Back
Top Bottom