Trying to match a center channel to QLS1

rpampt

Analogeous Vinylitis
In the not to far off future, I have plans to change my system up some. I will continue using my QLS1'S for my stereo rig, but will also be trying them as fronts for my Home Theatre. I know the match across the front is the most important to maintain proper balance of tone across the front. Unfortunately minimal size is somewhat important in my case. Does anyone have an idea of any center channel speaker that be even closely resembles the voicing of the QLS. I have a couple other small ones I'll try, but if the HT is a reasonable success, something more proper may be in order.

AND NO...Another QLS1 as a center channel is not in the cards!!! :)

An orphaned Q3 would be ideal but not "minimal size". You want a speaker with a matching dome and mid bass coupler. Maybe a home made speaker with matching Infinity drivers is the ticket.

Matching a the QLS1 which debuted in 1976 to a modern center channel design? I'm afraid proper voice and timber matching would be fairly difficult to accomplish.

I'd look for a Q5 or Qjr, but I can't recall ever seeing a pair come up on eBay. You could also try a Qe, not exactly the same, but it's of similar vintage, it's small, and they are more abundant than either of the other two. And the Qe would make a great surround speaker if you decide it doesn't work well as a center.

I've often thought of making a Quantum based 5.1 surround system.
Mains: QLS 1
Surrounds: Q2
Center: Q3 in series, on their sides, one above the screen, one below.

I've often thought of making a Quantum based 5.1 surround system.
Mains: QLS 1
Surrounds: Q2
Center: Q3 in series, on their sides, one above the screen, one below.

Well that'd be quite, quite.................Awesome!

You can always make a custom center channel !!! Depends how much you want to put into it. You could use a Infinity quantum 2 crossover. 2 stock emit tweeters, stock quantum midrange and mid-bass. Than the woofer would have to be replaced with a small one. You could use infinity infinitesimal 0.1 - 0.2 woofers. They are Dual Voice Coil woofers like the quantum woofer. Make a Custom enclosure. Drivers and crossovers are all the same so they should sound very similar to your QLS 1s. Good Luck. :thumbsup: First Here's a picture of my custom Infinity kappa 9 center channel. Than a few other pictures of custom made centers. Hope all this give you a few Ideas.
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Thank you , I did not make the kappa 9 center Cabinet. But I up graded all the Drivers to the best of the best, and it is mine !!! :music:The rest of centers I are not mine and I did not make them. I Just thought they were cool :bigok: ‼️‼️‼️

Back
Top Bottom