New here, looking for quality restoration services

Ttownmurse

Hello all! I've been a lurker at audiokarma for quite some time, and really enjoy the site. I recently decided to join so I could say thank you, and also ask around for suggestions on who to entrust my SA-9500 II, and SG-9500 with for a full restoration. Both pieces of equipment are in working order, but have very dusty boards, as well as the typical static in some sliders and knobs, and cutting out on occasion as well.

I actually had some initial restoration discussion with Circle Audio, but after reading more than a few horror stories about them on this site, I cut that discussion off quickly. I'm more than thankful that this forum exists, and that I found out the truth before I sent my gear to them.

I am also in preliminary discussions with a company called Pacific Stereo. Does anyone have any experience with them, or no anyone who does? I'm also open to suggestions of other companies/people who have good reputations around here.

Any help is greatly appreciated!!

Listing your location will be beneficial to finding a local AKer who may be of assistance.

I'm also looking for someone to rebuild my Pioneer SX-1050. I live in the Minneapolis, MN area. It works perfectly and I think it sounds good but I'm wondering what it would sound like if it was rebuilt.

There are members right here that do excellent restorations ---- but their back log is 1-3 years.
I won't mention their names but if they are interested I'm sure they will chime in.

If it was me before sending them out for a full restoration I would clean all the controls (Pots & Switches) on the SA 9500II with D5 Deoxit & the sliders on the SG 9500 with Deoxit faderlube.

And then see how they sound. It is a very easy job & there plenty of threads on how to do it here on AK.
Shouldn't take more than $15 for the Deox it cleaners and hour of DYI time & it may fix all of your problems. You need a 1.5mm allen wrench if you choose to remove the volume & selector knobs for clean up.

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=207005

Good luck.
PQ

Ttown; Paul Hovenga (Many Moon's Audio) is in Collinsville. He's an AK member and does really good work. See sponsor list at the bottom of the page.

Jeff; Contact AK'er Mattsd. He's in Ohio, and is very good.

Both of them have waiting lists.

If it was me before sending them out for a full restoration I would clean all the controls (Pots & Switches) on the SA 9500II with D5 Deoxit & the sliders on the SG 9500 with Deoxit faderlube.

And then see how they sound. It is a very easy job & there plenty of threads on how to do it here on AK.
Shouldn't take more than $15 for the Deox it cleaners and hour of DYI time & it may fix all of your problems. You need a 1.5mm allen wrench if you choose to remove the volume & selector knobs for clean up.

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=207005

Good luck.
PQ

I've already done that. My SX-1050 works perfectly and I think it sounds great. I'm just wondering if it would sound different if it was recapped.

Check out the Audio Doctor in PHX. www.audiodoctor.biz. I brought my Pioneer SX- 950 to him for a recap, turn around time was very short, and it made all the difference in sound quality. Not that it was bad before... Really nice guy too.

I've already done that. My SX-1050 works perfectly and I think it sounds great. I'm just wondering if it would sound different if it was recapped.

If you change out the caps & rebuild your gear it will sound different.
How much different depends on who is doing the work & what components they use & replace.
Your system & your hearing all play a part in the equation too.
But as I have read here often... “Different is easy....better not so much.”

It is totally a judgement call. If you really like way it sounds.
I would take it to a qualified tech have them bench test it & see if it runs to specifications.
Or does it need obvious servicing to bring it back up to spec?

There is an argument for preventative maintenance too.

Good luck what ever you decide to do.
Great techs are hard to find ,worth the wait & expense if you cherish you gear.

Cheers
PQ

A good cleaning and checkup is a good move on the gear in this thread.

Restoration is a good move if there is indication to do so, as in cleaning doesn't help eliminate problems or things measure poorly and will not adjust.

Depending on how tired the units are now, restoration can make things sound different.
Typically they sound "cleaner".
The bass is smoother and more defined.
The mid is clearer.
The highs are cleaner and crisper.

Done well by a good tech, restoration is a wise investment.

Pacific Stereo owns the website Tapeheads.net. He has a restoration thread over there bragging about his work. The results look good and he seems very thorough. Something any number of well-respected techs that post on AK can do, also.

I would be concerned about shipping the units as much or more than the tech if you select one of the ones that has a good reputation.

Yet another reason I think we should have a geographical sticky for all our techs who are willing/able to do work. Some great guys out there. Zebulon, Mattsd, Echowars are the three I've bought gear from or had do my work. All three are great.

Yet another reason I think we should have a geographical sticky for all our techs who are willing/able to do work.

How do you provide those techs that have paid banner ads a distinction commensurate with their support of this site compared to those that do not pay for an ad? That may have been a sticking point in the past.

How do you provide those techs that have paid banner ads a distinction commensurate with their support of this site compared to those that do not pay for an ad? That may have been a sticking point in the past.

My apologies. Hadn't considered that.

I'm thinking a paid ad isn't the same as being buried in a sticky thread?

I dunno, I just see lots of newbies asking this question. :scratch2:

One of the best techs and nicest guys on AK is within 1/2 hour of driving time. Why consider anything else?

Check out the Audio Doctor in PHX. www.audiodoctor.biz. I brought my Pioneer SX- 950 to him for a recap, turn around time was very short, and it made all the difference in sound quality. Not that it was bad before... Really nice guy too.

Thanks for the info:yes: This is close to me and from the bio appears to be a nice place for repairs:music: I still will only trust Echowars with my Kenwood Supreme 600 when he has time & space:D I may contact them to look @ some other gear. ( Pioneer SA 9800)

Back
Top Bottom