BIG speakers, small room, 1kWpc

vinyldavid

Collectorius Giganticus
Subscriber
It's been quite a while since I posted here, but I haven't been satisfied with the sound of my home system for a long time.

3 years ago, I moved and my bedroom/main listening space was severely downsized from a 11x16 bedroom with a walk-in closet to a 10x12 bedroom with a regular closet.

Last year, a good friend of mine bought a converted school building to live in, and I was promised the ability to rent a classroom or two for my own purposes. That fell through, but for almost all of last year, I had acquired large things and made plans to build a legendary-class home theater/audiophile listening setup.

Now that that's definitely no longer an option, though a series of circumstances beyond his control, I have a lot of interesting things in storage.

These speakers are one of them. I have a total of 3, for a future LCR array. A friend of mine buys truckloads of ex-theater speakers and venue de-installs, and blows them out at incredible prices. Trouble is, there's not a huge market for that here in StL.

They're called the ElectroVoice VariplexB, a near 7-foot-tall monster designed to fill large movie theaters with THX-approved sound. Mid/High Packs are 8Ω. Bass bins are 4Ω.

Just for fun, I decided to stuff them into my 10x12 bedroom, along with a rack of amplification and processing suitable to drive them. Stock, they require biamping with an active crossover. The crossover network also includes compensation for high frequency losses incurred for firing through a screen, so the top end is pretty hot. I'm knocking it back 6db at 4.5khz. When I get some more speaker wire, I will bypass the crossover entirely and triamp them.

Amplification consists of a Yamaha PC-5002M (750wpc rated into 4Ω, 900w measured), Yamaha P-2100 (100wpc into 8Ω), and as soon as I get the rest of my speaker wire, Yamaha P-2075 (50w into 8Ω), and processing is performed by the Yamaha D-2040, a stereo digital active 4 way crossover and speaker processor. Very handy device.

I don't have good pictures, since I got this up and running all of 2 days ago, and they necessitated a large amount of re-arranging, so it's a bit of a mess. Not everything is set up right now, I'm driving the system off my MacBook Pro plugged straight in to the active crossover. When I get some more time this weekend I'll wire up the rest of it again.

Full Equipment List (not all seen in the pictures)
Lenco L75
Audio Research SP-3 Highly Modified Preamp
Technics RS-1500 R2R
MacBook Pro (Late 2011)
Teac X-3
Technics RS-M85
Various video decks (mainly used for transfers)
Yamaha D-2040
Yamaha P2075
Yamaha P-2100
Yamaha PC-5002M

yamaha%20power.jpg~original

IMG_3115_2.jpg

IMG_3116.jpg~original

Now, for the sound...

Good god. Once you get over the fact that the speakers are so tall it sounds like many things are coming from different heights, I have never heard a faster, detailed without fatigue, surprisingly refined, and open-sounding speaker in my home. The bass needs to be worked on, but I attribute that to the right one sitting directly in corner, and it doesn't sound bad, there's just too much of it. The bass is incredibly powerful, effortlessly shakes the room, and they get loud without sounding loud. They can come close to the power and realism and scale that I hear in live concerts, especially with massed choral works. Something not easily done.

My friend in the school also has 3 of these, and, while testing, we discovered the top boxes play REALLY well with tube amps (and at 107db/w, they should!). I'll be hooking up a PPEL84 Stromberg Carlson amp I've been enjoying lately after everything is set up and see how it sounds.

I don't think they'll be here for very long, but it will be fun. Given the size of the room and the fact that I have neighbors, I will probably go to a minimonitor/sub setup shortly.

Last edited:
Great,I did the same thing back 20 yrs ago in an even smaller room in my House somewhere in the area of 5000 watts x 2.Had this for over a year and it really did sound good:)

Under these circumstances, do you wear earplugs, just until you have everything playing smoothly?

Under these circumstances, do you wear earplugs, just until you have everything playing smoothly?

None needed. Even flat, they're quite enjoyable. I am barely even asking 0.1w of the PC-5002M for a quite enjoyable listening level.

1w is a lot more fun when there's 749 more where it came from :) :music:

I really like the lamp with the electric meter attached to it. :thmbsp:
I too have most of my stereo stuffed into my little bedroom. Now that the kids have left the coop, My plan is to use one of the bedrooms as a man cave. I also like the rack. :thmbsp:

Started to laugh when I noticed the Advent 300. Could see the faces on friends faces when they catch you using it to drive some pair of Minimus 7s in the room. Just a vision. Way too much stuff there and am trying to figure out where, and if, you sit. I am not sure you can straighten out the bass issue without moving it all to a far larger room where the bass can breath.

Is that a ribbon or planar on the top horn, the one with a vertical slot?

I have something sorta similar in my workshop. 2 x 15" vertical in 10 cu ft box with large compression driver and wood waveguide.

I love it. It can sound great pretty close (though not as close as dual concentric Tannoys) and the bass is not a problem, really.

A lot of people who tell you it doesn't work ... haven't tried it.

Started to laugh when I noticed the Advent 300. Could see the faces on friends faces when they catch you using it to drive some pair of Minimus 7s in the room. Just a vision. Way too much stuff there and am trying to figure out where, and if, you sit. I am not sure you can straighten out the bass issue without moving it all to a far larger room where the bass can breath.

Seating is available on a queen size bed not shown in photos, as well as two huge leather chairs that are about 2 feet from the speakers (I sit there more to read than anything). Sweet spot is about a foot from the back wall.

I'm getting the bass evened out using the Yamaha active crossover-I need a better RTA to see the finer than 1/3oct resolution than the free RTA app provides. There are two parametric EQ's per channel, I'm using one to scoop out some 200hz and one to boost 45hz and below a couple db.

So, deafness is in VD's future I see. Big speakers in a small room is not smart......

Average listening level around 75db for 45 minutes (measured with iPhone), 0.1w on the 5002M. Don't think there are any issues with that. :thmbsp:
I have no doubt that I could hit 120db in-room with this setup. I would never try such a stunt, seriously.

I've also got EV Georgians in the living room that I'm building up to be something special.

I'm actually quite anal retentive about SPL's, the concerts I run are far quieter than most, and when I set up DJ systems for my DJ friend, I wind it up to 95db on the dancefloor for 15 seconds, check the balance, and then earplugs go in for the rest of the night.

Is that a ribbon or planar on the top horn, the one with a vertical slot?

I have something sorta similar in my workshop. 2 x 15" vertical in 10 cu ft box with large compression driver and wood waveguide.

I love it. It can sound great pretty close (though not as close as dual concentric Tannoys) and the bass is not a problem, really.

A lot of people who tell you it doesn't work ... haven't tried it.

1.4" Compression driver on a designed-for-theatre horn (strange dispersion pattern, very little above, tons below). It's really fun-even my tin-eared mother can tell that there's a lifelike quality to the sound that you don't generally hear in reproduced audio, ever.

Last edited:
Dude ... OMG - I thought I wan nuts. I'm thinking some Turbo Lover at 11 would peel your hair back!

I have a setup somewhat like that using EV Sentry III's, Sentry 500's and Sentry 100A's. I can run all of them at the same time or in any combination I choose. Stunning audio quality. These are early pix before it was finished, after I clean the leftovers up I'll post what it looks like now.
i8QoYWq.jpg

IwhmMOA.jpg

I have a setup somewhat like that using EV Sentry III's, Sentry 500's and Sentry 100A's. I can run all of them at the same time or in any combination I choose. Stunning audio quality. These are early pix before it was finished, after I clean the leftovers up I'll post what it looks like now.

Sentry 500's are on my short list, a friend has some and they're my favorite mid-size speakers. I also want EV Sentry III's. I like EV :D

I own and love 100A's. My aforementioned top-notch listening system was supposed to have a dedicated 2 channel portion consisting of EV Sentry IVB's (a local friend has some), and my pair of EV 30W's for the low end. IVB's powered by my H/K Citation II and 30W's by a custom PP 6V6 tube amp with Radio Craftsmen iron that'll go down to 15hz.

The rest of the system was supposed to be LCR biamped Bozak Concert Grands, LCR triamped VariplexB's, my pair of double 18 EV subs, and the above EV stuff, with the ability to switch between them at will (with minor repatching), with Klipsch Heresys for the mid-surrounds and EV Georgians for the rear surrounds. Projector is a Barco 1209, capable of well beyond 1080pHD. I have all the drivers/crossover cores to build the Concert Grands (and have a factory lowboy CG), most of the amps needed, and, the only thing I would have had to buy was the EV Sentry IVB's.

Last edited:
might I ask what the silver power amp on the bottom left is? love to find a pair of the Interface D. ;-)

The silver amp in question is a BGW 750, I power the woofers of my Sentry III's with one and let me tell you it's one hell of an amp ! :music:

Those pictures remind me of my teenage years living with mom & dad.

I can still hear my dad pounding on my bedroom door... TURN IT DOWN!!

Don't think he appreciated the Led Zeppelin turned-up to 12 and beyond. I should have tried some Glen Miller, maybe he wouldn't have been so pissed.

Heck-of-a-system you have there. No basement or living room access?

Back
Top Bottom