EXTREMELY thourough P-51 Mustang Restoration - Working Guns!

chinacave

Its Like a Jungle Sometimes; It makes me Wonder
Now THAT is attention to detail!

P-51 Mustang Resto w/ WORKING .50 Cal
Some people just have to go the extra little mile in detailed restorations.

My hats off to him / them -

Testing the SIX Browning .50cal

Many questions. Bet he cant fly it (legally) very far... at least with the guns installed!*

You think YOU Spend a lot on ammo? Hahahaha! - And AvGas too!

Also - found this while looking at the pilots-eye view of starting & flying a P51 by Kermit Weeks -

Flying the P-51

*Nope - he sure cannot! The 'MAN' keeping him down...EAA blurb with a bit more detail

But the guns you see here in Twilight Tear’s wings are not the real ones. ATF rules are much stricter once the airplane leaves the ground. So Fagen has aluminum replica Brownings installed in the wings, and the real .50 calibers stayed home in Minnesota under lock and key

Last edited:
just did a little research on WW2 fighter planes and discovered the p-51 was built for and used by the RAF before we started to use it. also that it almost did not get built since the p-38 and p-47 were already in production but North American Aircraft promised to build the RAF a better plane in 120 days. Once they added the merlin engine being produced in Packard plants it became a Bf-109 eater!

I've been to Mr. Fagen's museum...well worth the time. Even got to visit the shop while techs were doing an annual on a P-40.

In the USA each of the Brownings would require a $200 Tax stamp to be in operating condition. Ammo runs about $3.00 a round if reloaded.

Back
Top Bottom