Motorola Console Identification

Prblack

I have a chance to pick up a Motorola console. Owner says it is an FM Stereophic Custom 20, Model number SKR183W. Owner believes it is a tube model as it takes time to warm up when turned on.

Can anyone shed any light on this model - can't seem to find any information via a Google search. Primary question is: it is tube or solid state. And is it a decent model or not.

Appreciate any help I can get on identifying this model. Thank you.

There was an SK183 that had a tube tuner but solid state amplifier.
Not sure about quality but my experience with the early solid state amps is that it's hit or miss when you need to replace the germanium devices. I prefer all-tube, but others have had good experience with ss. My best performing AM tuner is an early ss from Magnavox.

Finally got a pic from the owner and it turns out to be model SKR163W. Also attaching a picture of the amp marked as HS-1239A. Believe that large component on the right is the vibrasonic chamber? Powering the speaker in the middle?

Opinions on this unit? Thank you.

Attachments

• SRK163-HS1239A.jpg
    SRK163-HS1239A.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 91
That is Nice!! Looks very similar to what I want do with this one. I'm planning on creating more of a component like 'Receiver\Amp' that I can connect my turntable, tape deck, and speakers to. What about the Vibrasonic chamber and speaker. Thought about using it like a subwoofer in a home theater setup. Or just disconnect it? Is that something I can do or will this stress the amp? I am pretty new to the hobby and totally new to the tube amp systems so welcome any advise I can get.

Also planning on replacing all of the capacitors as I doubt anything has been done to this since it left the showroom floor.

Thank you.

You can just disconnect the vibrasonic, at least that's what I did. It is a novelty that wears off in about, oh, four seconds. It saves a 12AX7 tube, does not stress the system at all.

But yes you can use the woofer as a sub - that is why I put in a level control for the woofer's amplifier. Outside the console using other speakers it was too boomy, and I like to dial in just the right amount of bass when I listen.

The one that Swankey linked you to looks like a more direct match, but they are very similar. Lots of fun, you will learn a whole lot. Degree of difficulty is not that high and there is plenty of working room under the hood.

Many thanks to everyone! I'm sure I will have lots of questions as I progress. It is really nice to know there is a place to get questions answered by folks that have the knowledge to actually answer the question!

I also wanted to thank everyone for their patience and decency. I have encountered nothing but respect and courtesy on this site, and that is not the case on so many other online locations where the primary goal seems to be to ridicule and denigrate anyone that asks a question they feel is ‘inferior’, or has been asked before, or is just ‘stupid’. I do not see that here, and that is a wonderful thing. Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom