Vintage Turntables From The 1960's

beatboy77

Just curious for our turntable historians. When the British Invasion hit the US in 1964 and continued for several years, what were some of the more popular turntables/models in the US? Were they actually any good?

Josh

The quality of turntables c. 1964 ranged from a Thorens TD-124 or Garrard 401 - still rightfully considered world class (with resale value to match) - through to more modest yet excellent offerings like the Acoustic Research AR-XA or Dual 1009 - way down to the more common tabletop portables and consoles.

I would assume that the console stereos were in most homes of families that listened to music and weren't audiphiles

Garrard's Lab 80 was introduced in 1964 and was their top of the line consumer offering with the same design engineer as the 401, Eric Marshall.
It was quite popular and well built. Beautiful turntable too.

D538E64E-D47E-4364-804C-9DBF4DBE8163_zpsk86mc8g1.jpg

I'm curious about the OP's original question... are you looking to experience those records the way they were originally heard? If so, you'd be best served by something like this:

7858792942_f945cbb3a5_z.jpg

AK'er sberger has one of those and speaks very highly of it.

Great table, but wouldn't ever had known about them if SFBayArch hadn't sold me one, and spent much time bringing it and subsequent ones up to spec.

Just giving credit where credit is due.

Braun made some really nice tables in the 60s as well. My PS-500 is a daily driver in a secondary system, works flawlessly and sounds excellent. Great design and build quality. They had a number of other nice designs as well as a couple in the same series that were even more up-market.

Of course the Thorens TD-125 is also a 60s table (not just the 124) and a fine decl in its own right.

Rek-O-Kut also had several excellent models available in 1964.

I think the Fairchild 412 and 440 were also still available.

I hadn't thought about it before, but all of my turntables date from the '50s-very early '70s:

c.1956 Rek-O-Kut L-34
1961 Thorens TD-124
c.1964 Acoustic Research AR-TX
c.1965-71 Dual 1019
c.1970-71 Dual 1219

I guess I like old stuff, LOL.

I have the following early 60s late 50s table. Like em all and have them in rotation.

ROK Rondine Deluxe
Fairchild 412 w/SME 3009 II arm
Thorens TD111 w/Grado Wooden arm
Empire 598 III - this one may be newer
Miracord 50H - my only changer

Braun turntables were never officially imported to the USA. In that era, the Garrard 401 was not sold here either except by special order. AR TT, TA, and XA were very popular, Thorens was still selling the TD 124, the TD 150 belt drive came later in the 1960's. Dual 's 1009 and 1019 were super popular, Garrard's LAB 80 and the AutoSlim line changers were very popular items. ELAC Miracord was well loved. Empire was a high end coveted turntable, and the Rek-O-Kut Rondine was at the tail end of their being marketed to audiophiles, as CCA bought the company in the late 1960's and continued marketing them to broadcast stations. This list is not complete but gives you a picture of 1960's HiFi record playback equipment.

I think kids who played Beatles records used small kids turntables or the parent's console stereo. I'm sure audiophile dad with his classical records would not play that garbage on his hi fi

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

I think kids who played Beatles records used small kids turntables or the parent's console stereo. I'm sure audiophile dad with his classical records would not play that garbage on his hi fi

Tell me about it...I have a first UK pressing of Sgt. Pepper's that I got from my aunt...even after cleaning I can hear all the damage she caused to it :(

I have the following early 60s late 50s table. Like em all and have them in rotation.

ROK Rondine Deluxe
Fairchild 412 w/SME 3009 II arm
Thorens TD111 w/Grado Wooden arm
Empire 598 III - this one may be newer
Miracord 50H - my only changer

How do you like the SME on that Fairchild?

Many did, some didn't.

It's a nice match for the Fairchild. Have seen more than one online with this combo. The only issue with my arm is that the arm drops much too fast when using the cueing lever. I do not want to take the chance of damaging it so I have not tried to fix it. I understand there may be an opportunity to add dampening fluid but you have to remove the outer shell on the arm. Since mine, as are all of these, is relatively old it would take some effort to make that happen. I have learned to deal with and just lower the arm with the cueing lever slowly until I hear the stylus engage the lead in groove. I have the currently mates with a Sumiko Blackbird HOMC. Been pleased with the entire combo.

The 60's ...

We played our Beatles records on a RCA Orthophonic Console. It had a changer and a dedicated satellite speaker cabinet. If not on the "good" stereo, we also had the portable stereo phonograph in a suitcase thing. One speaker was in the removable top cover and the other in the lower main unit.

Killed lots of records with these beasts of burden. :music:

Last edited:
I was thinking of opening a thread, but I will post here since it fits well. In my childhood (a bit over a decade ago) I got a suitcase thing record player that is no longer with us. I am 98% sure it was British, it had the schematic stuck on its bottom, and instructions to switch voltages. I can't remember the maker and google was not my friend. I believe it was something ending in -ton. Tehnoton? Teleton? It was tubed and fully automatic with a disk changer too. It had all the speeds and a cart you could flip to use on the 78`s(I still have the cart). It had one internal speaker and two knobs, one for volume and one for treble bass I think. It used to give me powerful electric shocks when I touched the metal parts, this being one of the reasons why it was taken apart.

So anyone has any idea what I am talking about?I believe it was made in the 60's or maybe the late 50's

Back
Top Bottom