Is Tim Tebow good for the NFL?

. . . If he is indeed better than 80% of NFL backup QB's, it begs the question of why the Broncos, Jets and Patriots got rid of him.

He doesn't fit the classic QB mold. The NFL is a boring, unimaginative, wooden-headed league. Chip Kelly has shown some signs of willingness to think outside the box. That probably explains why the Iggles signed him.

I admit that his goody-goody persona can be off putting. Someone asked him what he would do if he couldn't play football. He said he'd be a missionary and bring Christianity to the Philippines!

if it doesn't go well he is certainly in a city that will let him know....and btw the kneel-down prayer...wasn't that a distraction of his making?

In his defense, he is far from the only player to do that or similar. The NFL sometimes resembles a revival meeting when it does not resemble the Wild West.

I wish him luck. Especially in Philly.

He is Gator scum... so no, not particularly good for the NFL. :D

Seriously, all things considered I'd say he is pretty irrelevant.

He doesn't fit the classic QB mold. QUOTE]

And that is just one of his many problems. There is a reason that most successful NFL QBs are pocket passers. With 11 defensive headhunters gunning for the QB on every play life can be short out from the protection of the pocket.

I can't figure out why Philly is wasting any money on Tebow. He has proven that he doesn't have what it takes to play in the NFL. Maybe they figure to recoup their losses from jersey sales.:D

One other comment. If Tebow is really serious about resurrecting his pro career why won't he consider the CFL? Again it seems like a pride issue. Curious that such a religious guy has issues with pride. :scratch2:

cubdog

The most important stat in any sport is Wins/Loses...

From the bleacher report"

"Tebow has started 14 games in the NFL, compiling a record of 8-6. His body of work may not be that large, but that's not his fault. When it comes to being a starting quarterback in the NFL, Tebow has a winning record. On top of that, he is also 1-1 in the playoffs."

I think a second chance as a starter in the NFL couldn't hurt... I mean I am Browns fan and I assure you I have thought to myself more than once or twice over the last 4 or 5 years why not give this guy another chance, he can't be as bad as _________ fill in the blank?

I hate Philadelphia sports fans but to their credit they are a performance driven lot. Tebow's shenanigans and do-gooder persona would matter worth a damn if he doesn't generate results. If pro sports does one thing correctly it's that it is primarily a meritocracy. Take a knee all you want bro but you better help win some games or else.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The most important stat in any sport is Wins/Loses...

From the bleacher report"

"Tebow has started 14 games in the NFL, compiling a record of 8-6. His body of work may not be that large, but that's not his fault. When it comes to being a starting quarterback in the NFL, Tebow has a winning record. On top of that, he is also 1-1 in the playoffs."

I think a second chance as a starter in the NFL couldn't hurt... I mean I am Browns fan and I assure you I have thought to myself more than once or twice over the last 4 or 5 years why not give this guy another chance, he can't be as bad as _________ fill in the blank?

This guy?

paul-reubens_1.jpg

He's probably better than 80% of NFL backup QBs, many of which just cannot suck enough.

You never know. Remember a guy named Kurt Warner? He was the Rams' 3rd stringer/practice squad QB in 1998, and 2nd string going into 1999. He turned out to be a LOT better than any of the three QBs that had been ahead of him on the depth chart either year.

(Admittedly, he did have proponents on the coaching staff who wanted to promote him to the starting job in 1998, as Banks was horrifying and the #2, whose name I cannot remember right now, was nothing special. And he had me in the last row of the stadium, constantly yelling that they should give him a shot. I'm pretty sure I was the ONLY fan in that building who didn't think the '99 season was toast when Green went down. I had no clue just how right I was, though...)

I find Tim Tebow kneeling for a prayer prior to a game a very natural and appealing thing to do and to see. I certainly prefer that to most of the posturing that takes place in a game, and I watch quite a few games.

Tim Tebow's foundation, which he started when he graduated from Florida, is helping to fund a new hospital in the Phillipines. His connection there is real - he was born there. His parents were there as Baptist missionaries.

I also like the fact that people were actually looking up scripture when he wore the biblical references on his eye black when he played in Florida. I, for one, think his morals are good for the NFL. One thing is for sure, Tim Tebow has the courage of his convictions.

Will he have success as a quarterback over time - I doubt it. I am a big Broncos fan and was relieved when they got Peyton Manning. I wish Tim the best.

I'm not even a believer, but I respect Tim Tebow's willingness to be what he wants to be. Seems like a helluva guy. As for his qb skills? I honestly don't think he's been allowed to mature, but I'm no expert on that violent ground acquisition game known as football, which, is in fact, a crypto-fascist metaphor for nuclear war.

Anyone know the film I'm referencing?? Hint - it has Rodney Dangerfield and Robert Downey, Jr in it.

I don't know if there are bigger distractions than Aaron Hernandez or "deflate-gate", but somehow the Patriots managed to still play and win football games. Tim Tebow would obviously cause some interest, which it is doing in this thread, so I don't see how that should be much of a problem for a league that relies on pubic interest to make money. In fact, having a "choir boy" in the league as the main "distraction" would be better than having the focus on players like Ray Rice or Adrian Peterson.

As for whether he is good enough to play in the NFL, that is a separate question. However, when the game is played for stats rather than wins, I think it is time to re-evaluate the goals. Tebow simply wins games. Denver was Awful with a capital A before he was allowed to play. If I remember correctly, they were working on a record of around 1-5 when they put him in and somehow they miraculously made the playoffs that year. He also set a record for a 33 yards per completion in that game when they beat Pittsburg.

Denver could have put in a short route, short pass offense if they wanted to get his pass accuracy stats up (he put up record numbers in the category in the SEC*), but they decided to "spread out" the offense to leave more room for the run. It worked, but his stats looked bad in the process.

Be aware that the guy that he replaced totally sucked that year, but somehow he went on to be a backup for the Cowboys and a starter for the Bills.

*He was the SEC's all-time leader in career passing efficiency (170.8), completion percentage (67.1%), passing touchdown to interception ratio (5.5 to 1)...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_Tebow

I don't care what the stats say whether those or his completion totals, TD passes, or his won lost record. Regardless of what I might think of him, I've seen him play. And I, along with virtually ever expert, which I am not, have come to the same conclusion. As a professional QB Tebow is terrible.

It's funny how everyone cites the very few games he helped Denver win like Tim Terrific, was a one man team who picked up and carried the entire organization on his back. Not so and if he was that impressive in Denver why did they get rid of him? And if he showed so much potential there why so little interest in his services still to this day? Even his current contract is as small as league rules allow with zero bonus money included.

I started this thread simply because, for all of Tebow's shortcomings on the field, he is a very interesting sports figure and I knew this thread would be entertaining. It has proven to be so although I continue to be amazed that so many see talent where there is none.

cubdog

I have said it on several past posts about Tebow, he is not, and never will be, an NFL QB. He just plain sucks at it. While it is true that he trained very hard to correct his goofy throwing motion and lousy footwork, what hasnt been corrected, and more than likely never be corrected, is his inability to read defenses and coverages. When he was here in Donkey Town, they had to rewrite and simplify their playbook just for him. As for the "winning record" that he had in Denver, that was a pure fluke. He can only play college style football. Most of the teams they played that year had not faced a college style offense since, well, college. But look at when they played Detroit, Green Bay, and New England. Those teams all watched video and prepared themselves to play a college style offense. When they did play, they demolished Tebow and the Broncos. That play off win against the Steelers, was nothing more than the Steelers looking past the Broncos and being unprepared. They were losing badly at half time. The second half, they came out and got their heads on and back in the game and took it to OT. The opening play of OT caught Denver in an illegal formation that the Steelers saw and hesitated, expecting the refs to throw a flag. They never did and the hesitation allowed the receiver to get a jump on the defender and the rest is history. One thing all the Tebow lovers fail to see is that there are 10 other players on the offense with him. It is NOT Tebow, but ALL the other players who contribute to make the offense work. With a good supporting cast, a mediocre QB will look better than he really is.
As far as Tebow correcting his throwing motion, that remains to be seen. If he ever gets a chance to play in a game. It is one thing to work out on a practice field, and something entirely different to do it full speed in a game situation. My feeling is, if given the chance to play, when he is under pressure from some of these DBs, he will revert to what he knows and does best, throw with that same goofy motion and footwork. If Tebow wants to play in the NFL, he simply needs to swallow his ego and over-inflated pride, and play a position, like running back, that he actually has some talent for.

Most of the teams they played that year had not faced a college style offense since, well, college. But look at when they played Detroit, Green Bay, and New England.

This happens all the time. A backup QB gets put in, makes a few great plays and wins a game. It then takes a few weeks for other teams to figure out how to counter and pressure that QB. The great QBs respond and adapt. Tebow didn't.

It's never the stats . It's wins and losses and playing on your own terms . That makes him a winner in my book .

It's never the stats . It's wins and losses and playing on your own terms . That makes him a winner in my book .

I'm sure the fact that he is a winner in your book will impress all the NFL owners and GMs. They never pay any attention to meaningless stats that give insight into a QBs potential to help the franchise. As far as playing on his own terms I believe that might work on the sandlot not so much in professional sports. Never has, never will.

cubdog

Back
Top Bottom