Psvane TC5 - KT120 Amp? Feedback?

ictwoody

I like vintage gear — my preamp is from 2007.
Anyone every heard one of these beasts? It's very interesting to me. I really enjoyed my Shuguang S8MK and all the other GF products I've owned. I'm considering one of these to try with my Salk Songtowers.

Other than the one glowing review for the amp linked from the GF site, anyone have anything else to add?

- Woody

I wish I could help. It's a nice looking amp and I wonder how it sounds compared to the S8MK.

cubdog

I wish I could help. It's a nice looking amp and I wonder how it sounds compared to the S8MK.

cubdog

That's what I'm wondering too, Cubby. Based on my experience with the S8MK I'd buy one of these in a second if I just had a couple more opinions. I really think if it's as good as the S8MK that it would be awesome with my Salks.

- Woody

Not trying to paddle anything, but the TC5 is an awesome amp.... the TungSol KT120 cannot really show its full potential unfortunately as the Russian made tubes are more dry harsh sounding, when compared with Chinese tubes side by side. Psvane is still working on their KT120 tube design improvement on reliability. I had opportunity to listen to TC5 with Psvane KT120 before it was recalled - it was way better sounding than with the TungSol tubes.

So if you want to explore KT120 tube amp now, this is a very good amp to own. To experience it as a great KT120 amp, you will need to wait for a better KT120 tube.. dilemma... isn't it?

Rachel @ Grant Fidelity

Not trying to paddle anything, but the TC5 is an awesome amp.... the TungSol KT120 cannot really show its full potential unfortunately as the Russian made tubes are more dry harsh sounding, when compared with Chinese tubes side by side. Psvane is still working on their KT120 tube design improvement on reliability. I had opportunity to listen to TC5 with Psvane KT120 before it was recalled - it was way better sounding than with the TungSol tubes.

So if you want to explore KT120 tube amp now, this is a very good amp to own. To experience it as a great KT120 amp, you will need to wait for a better KT120 tube.. dilemma... isn't it?

Rachel @ Grant Fidelity

Thanks for the thoughts, Rachel. This is interesting info.

Since Cubdog owns, and I used to own your Shuguang S8MK KT88 amp (mine had black treasures in it,) how would you compare the KT120 amp (with Russian tubes) to the KT88 based amp?

- Woody

Compared to S8MK, TC5 is a much more powerful amp goes deeper than S8MK. I used it with a pair of wood horn speakers at 92dB efficiency and the bass was felt on listener's body.... very emotional :)

I don't think TC5 should be paired with a bright sounding speaker - it may get a bit overpowered feeling.... But for those known as hard-to-drive speakers, this one will do wonders.

I have TC5 in my office now running with 84dB LS3/5A (Ian's favorite and his crossover work) - it is beautiful sounding, but I might be biased as you know it is related to Ian....

Hope this helps, a bit, at least.

Rachel @ Grant Fidelity

Back
Top Bottom