Tube dac 11 sounds grainy and rattly on some songs

srinath

I have a few songs it sounds like it rattles my speakers.
The same songs from my CD player into the receiver via optic (using the dac in the receiver) sounds fine.

The DAC also does it on the same songs via analog in put.
It also does it from my ipad on the same song. And its quite a few songs, not just 1 song.

The dac has some rattle in headphones, but into the amp and speakers from that is far worse.

Its tied to the song/s, regardless of the source/input mode.

And it got bad just in the last 2 days. before that it was fantastic.

I plan on opening it up, blowing out the dust etc and looking into it. But has anyone had it happen. What should I be looking for ?

Thanks.
Srinath.

Not sure what distortion(s) you are describing but my first thought would be to try a different tube.

I heard a few years back that there was something that gets loose in there. Jay told me. Have to PM him for a refresher.

I would first unseat and re-seat the tube. It may look properly installed but be loose. If you are using the stock tube and still having this issue, then replace with an upgrade. These are easy first steps to take. Also, you may have to adjust the gain (volume) on your 11. Some tracks with heavy bass can be killers at my normal volume -- anything by the XX, for instance, has to be turned down or bass will seriously rattle. Hope it turns out to be no big deal. Good luck.

Any rattling I may have had was only with the stock tube, although not a bad one I have had no noise, crackly stuff since upgrading to a low noise Jan-Phillips 6922 few years ago.

Back
Top Bottom