Yamaha gear sold via PX?

samosui

I know that thousands of Sansui and perhaps also a lot of Pioneer stereo components were sold through the PX and ended up here in the US. Was Yamaha available through the PX also?

Happy listening :music:
John

I know that thousands of Sansui and perhaps also a lot of Pioneer stereo components were sold through the PX and ended up here in the US. Was Yamaha available through the PX also?

John

In the AF. It was know as the BX and yes it was, at least 1978-82 W.Germany. Purchases
CA-1010,CT-1000,P-750,NS-1000M,NS-1000,C-6,M-4 and a T-1. M-2, C-4 and C-2 were available. But out of my price range at the time. Kinda shot my wade on the NS-1000's
AK'r wajobu by chance ended up with the CA-1010 at one time.
In 1994 the NEX (Navy exchange) at Keflavik NAS,Keflavik,Iceland offered some Yamaha pieces. It was a very small exchange though.

Last edited:

John

Absolutely yes.

Some of the gear that I have purchase was from USN who purchased overseas, same goes for some of the guys I know who also buy used Yamaha.

I was told, and can't verify, that the 220-110 switch selectable models were required by the PX for sale to US service personnel.

Norfolk Va area, is always a good source.

I bought my C-4/M-4 combo from the Bremerhaven PX 1982'ish.

Got my JBL L112's there too.

Attachments

• Yamaha C-4 and M-4 Warranty Cards001.pdf
    794.8 KB · Views: 25
Another "yes" to the list. Served in Germany (1980/83) Korea (1984/85) and Alaska (1987/90). Being Army, we had the AAFES, which "we" called the PX. Being into stereo equipment, I was glad that I spend most of my military career overseas since the audio/video selection was far greater than at any Stateside posts. Sometime around the mid 90s, Stateside PX started to offer a better selection of audio equipment... Kenwood, Pioneer, Sony and Carver coming to mind, but never saw any Yamaha gear... Both Alaska and Hawaii are considered overseas postings and with soldiers, in my unit, it was a close fight between Yamaha and Carver... By the mid/late 80s, both Pioneer and Kenwood had lost their status with the troops... Back in 1980 and to about 1982, Pioneer was the most popular band that filled the barracks. Also, the various dbx "black boxes were also very popular up to around 1989/90.

From 1980 to 1983, I preferred Kenwood and dbx equipment. When I bought my third system, I went with Yamaha in 1987... RX-1100, CD-2000, KD-720(??) and a Yamaha turntable... which was quickly replaced. For the video side, I went with a JVC and NEC VHS/VCRs and added a Pioneer LD player around 1989/90.

BTW, some of the best times in my early life was spent at the PX reviewing everything they had in stock during my limited amount of free time... Back then, they had a separate building for all the audio/video gear in most of the main PXs in Germany.

I was stuck in a Stateside units twice for about 2.5 years and the only time I ever saw any Yamaha gear was at the local pawn shops.

I retired from the Army and moved back to Alaska. While making my normal pawn shop runs in 2008, I bought a used, but in very good condition, MX-1000, CX-1000 and TX-1000 for $500... I knew that some G.I. had picked it up at the PX (In Alaska??) around 1989/90... I just hope that he just wanted to get rid of it and didn't fall into hard times.

I bought a C-50 & M-50 from the Clark Airbase, Philippines BX in 1983. They had a large selection of Yamaha gear at that time. Price was a bit less than half of what they were going for in the Seattle/Tacoma area.

Cheers,
James

Last edited:
Another "yes" to the list. Served in Germany (1980/83) Korea (1984/85) and Alaska (1987/90). Being Army, we had the AAFES, which "we" called the PX. Being into stereo equipment, I was glad that I spend most of my military career overseas since the audio/video selection was far greater than at any Stateside posts. Sometime around the mid 90s, Stateside PX started to offer a better selection of audio equipment... Kenwood, Pioneer, Sony and Carver coming to mind, but never saw any Yamaha gear... Both Alaska and Hawaii are considered overseas postings and with soldiers, in my unit, it was a close fight between Yamaha and Carver... By the mid/late 80s, both Pioneer and Kenwood had lost their status with the troops... Back in 1980 and to about 1982, Pioneer was the most popular band that filled the barracks. Also, the various dbx "black boxes were also very popular up to around 1989/90.

From 1980 to 1983, I preferred Kenwood and dbx equipment. When I bought my third system, I went with Yamaha in 1987... RX-1100, CD-2000, KD-720(??) and a Yamaha turntable... which was quickly replaced. For the video side, I went with a JVC and NEC VHS/VCRs and added a Pioneer LD player around 1989/90.

BTW, some of the best times in my early life was spent at the PX reviewing everything they had in stock during my limited amount of free time... Back then, they had a separate building for all the audio/video gear in most of the main PXs in Germany.

I was stuck in a Stateside units twice for about 2.5 years and the only time I ever saw any Yamaha gear was at the local pawn shops.

I retired from the Army and moved back to Alaska. While making my normal pawn shop runs in 2008, I bought a used, but in very good condition, MX-1000, CX-1000 and TX-1000 for $500... I knew that some G.I. had picked it up at the PX (In Alaska??) around 1989/90... I just hope that he just wanted to get rid of it and didn't fall into hard times.

Naples NATO base stereo store, largest seller in the world at the time 1974-80, lots of Pioneer, Thorens, Bose on the high end and if I recall correctly Revox tape players, and AWIA sp and some other affordable stuff to fill out the lines.

By the time the Fleet pulled out on their return leg to Norfolk, the large showroom building and remote warehouses were stripped to the light fixtures by the Fleet.

As many as 25,000 sailors and marines, with 4 months pay in their pockets. Italian Motorcycles were also loaded into dead spaces on the ships too after they were completely dry.

The PX at the NAVSUBACT sp, while offering audio gear, was by comparison the ugly sister and didn't try very hard to compete with the AFSOUTH NATO audio warehouse.

Someone told me the NATO store sold $2.5 to $3m when the fleet was in in 1975 dollars so lets say $6M in three to five days max.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
"nategr8d8
02-05-2003, 02:12 PM
10 years in the US Navy as an Electronics Technician! I bought my first stereo system while at sea from the AAFES Catalog in 83? It was a Sanui C-2101 and B-2101 system with a Denon DP62L turntable with a Shure V15MR cartridge

The speakers were Klipsch Heresy's that I bought in the AFsouth store in Naples, Italy."

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

cv59_3.jpg

I think by 1981, they were all closed down, but they did also have the Audio Clubs prior to the stereo stores in the AAFES/PX.

Absolutely yes.

Some of the gear that I have purchase was from USN who purchased overseas, same goes for some of the guys I know who also buy used Yamaha.

I was told, and can't verify, that the 220-110 switch selectable models were required by the PX for sale to US service personnel.

Norfolk Va area, is always a good source.

Interesting comment, I live in Va Beach down the street from Norfolk. Owner of 2 technics TTs , 1610 & 1710 both 110/220 switchable. And a non-working PL-1000 which I think is also switchable.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for all your replies. Lots of history here.

I have a Sansui AU-555 integrated amp and a pair of Sansui SP-3500 speakers from way back around 1971 that a friend got for me through the PX back then. If I recall correctly there was a color pamphlet with various manufactures and different models and I recall that Sansui was well represented. Maybe Pioneer and Akai or Teac too.

I don't recall seeing anything from Yamaha though although maybe it's just my memory not working like it used to. In any event, hats off to anyone and everyone that's served.

Happy listening to all :music:
John

The way a PX purchasing manager explained it to me, the PX system and military were the largest customers in the world for stereo, photo gear and some of the other good toys.

They would decide which models they wanted, then approach the manufacturers with their requirements. Once a deal was stuck, the factory would do a large production run for the PX system, works in US and overseas was always a requirement.

My only regret is that I didn't buy more stuff from the PX and catalog back when gold was 35 an oz, including more gold.....the good old days.

Just about anything from the 70's early 80's with a voltage selector on the back was sold at the PX.
I am convinced my Yamaha CR 2040 which is the euro model was purchased there.

Thanks everyone for all your replies. Lots of history here.

I have a Sansui AU-555 integrated amp and a pair of Sansui SP-3500 speakers from way back around 1971 that a friend got for me through the PX back then. If I recall correctly there was a color pamphlet with various manufactures and different models and I recall that Sansui was well represented. Maybe Pioneer and Akai or Teac too.

I don't recall seeing anything from Yamaha though although maybe it's just my memory not working like it used to. In any event, hats off to anyone and everyone that's served.

Happy listening to all :music:
John

Yamaha did not start producing, and selling stereo equipment mass market until late 71', early 72'.
That's why so many slobber all over Sansui, and Pioneer. It's not just the sound, Pioneer and Sansui made more units. Yamaha was always more of a niche market.

Yamaha did not start producing, and selling stereo equipment mass market until late 71', early 72'.
That's why so many slobber all over Sansui, and Pioneer. It's not just the sound, Pioneer and Sansui made more units. Yamaha was always more of a niche market.

Yes, I remember reading somewhere that Yamaha was in more of a niche market and not a widely available brand in the US, at least not from the number of retail outlets where they could be found.

But they certainly do know music and sound quality given their background. And they are still making stereo gear. :thmbsp:

Cheers,
John

I was AF in Wiesbaden Germany from 85 to 87, there was a AV club just up the road at Hainerberg where our BX was located, and there was a huge AV club in Mainz Kastel, about a 7 min train ride away. Yamaha M-80 and C-80 were the big ones being sold during that time, Onkyo M504s also. My system was modest compared to others, I had a Yamaha A-1020 Integrated amp with B&W DM110i speakers.
My roommate bought a pair of Carver M1.5, and Polk SDA-SRS speakers.
Everyone in our dorm had monster stereos, Klipsch, Polk, Infinity, JBL, Yamaha, Onkyo, Technics, Soundcraftsman, Carver, Denon, ADC, Sony, Marantz, DBX, etc.
Just about every brand and model were sold it seems like.
And as others have suggested all the equipment had 110/220 selectable switches

Makes you wonder about the PX-1, PX-2 and PX-3.

Hard to say, but Mil was the biggest customer in the world, and I was told that they went in together on buys with the factories and got exactly what they wanted. Turntable with special features, why not, 110-220 for sure.

My uncle was in the US Air Force in Germany in the early 80's. He bought a Yamaha C-4/M-2 combo along with a pair of JBL L150s. Years later when it was all sitting unused and I inquired about it, he gave it all to me :)

Chris, were you into Yamaha before the gift from your uncle? In any event, a nice gesture by your uncle and a great gift :thmbsp:

Cheers,
John

Back
Top Bottom