Schiit Loki with TD 11?

Gridslayer

This and that...
Subscriber
I've been considering adding DSD to my playback possibilities. Can the Loki from SChiit be used with the TubeDac 11?

Here's what their website says about connection:

" Now, you can add DSD to any DAC for only $149. Yes. You read that right: pure DSD playback capability. $149. Meet Loki. Loki is a complete DSD DAC and switching system. Just connect the output of your current DAC to Loki, connect Loki via USB to your computer, and you’ve added DSD to your system."

I have USB goining inth the M2Tech USB to Spdif converter, into the SPDIF input on the Tube DAC. Would I then send the (already converted to analog) signal from the TD-11 to the Loki and then a USB cable to the computer? That's how I read it, but it doesn't make sense to me...

I used one with a couple of different USB DACs and it worked as described.

The correct hook up from the manual says:

1. Connect your computer to the Loki’s USB input with a USB 2.0-rated cable
of 2 meters or less in length (that’s about 6’ for us in backwards-land.)

2. Connect the Loki’s RCA outputs to your preamp or amp with high-quality RCA cables.

3. Connect your current DAC’s output to Loki’s RCA inputs with high-quality RCA cables, so you can pass through the output of your current DAC. Or not. This is optional, but we thought you’d like the convenience.

ON THE FRONT

1. When Loki is connected to a powered USB port, the USB port LED
will light.

2. When Loki detects an incoming DSD datastream, the DSD lock LED will light.
You’re now ready to listen to DSD!

3. The front panel button switches between DSD (out) and the output of your current DAC (in). It’s really that simple. Have fun, and enjoy your new format!

http://schiit.com/public/upload/PDF/loki-manual.pdf

OK I see. They run in parallel, not daisy-chained. Makes sense now....

Last edited:
The hook up was the easy part....from page three of the manual.

IMPORTANT
Setting up your computer for DSD playback is NOT plug and play. It’s best to sit back, relax, and expect to dedicate some time to it, especially with PCs, and especially with Foobar.

Think of it as a science project on the edge of computer audio.

Or drink. A lot.

"Science project on the edge of computer audio" sounds about right, as does the drinking part.

But the payoff...this DSD thing can sound VERY good!

So are you guys hearing a big difference between DSD files via the Loki vs. FLAC on the TD-11?

I haven't heard either of those DACs so have nothing directly related to share.

I do however listen a lot to DSD and wav on the same DAC (Resonessence Concero HD) and wav on a tube based AudioNote DAC. I love having the DSD option and some of my best sounding digital is DSD - mostly releases sourced from analog or DSD masters. To me, it sounds better played natively as DSD through the Concero than converted to PCM and played through the more expensive AN.

If there is music out there on DSD that interests you but you like the PCM DAC you have (as I did in the AudioNote), the Loki seems like a nice low-risk way to test the waters. Another option and maybe the better one if you can believe the buzz around it, would be the iFi Nano iDSD - DSD, DSDx2, hi-res PCM, a headphone amp, level control, SPDIF conversion...every including the kitchen sink so lots of application possibilities.

Back
Top Bottom