Seattle DIY Meet August 27th

I'm not a do-it-yourselfer. I can't hang a picture properly. But I just parted out a Thorens 165. Is it ok to bring parts to this get together to sell to anyone who might be able to use them? Thanks very much. Cheers for now. David.

P.S. I also have the gear below that is either not working or just needs a good cleaning. I'd love for them to find good homes. Should I get them out of storage and load up the Volvo wagon?

RECEIVERS
Kenwood KR-3090 Receiver
Pioneer SX-450 Receiver
Concord CR-250 Receiver

CASSETTE RECORDERS
Nakamichi BX-100 Cassette Recorder
Aiwa AD-1250 Cassette Recorder
BIC T-1 Cassette Recorder
Teac V-380C Cassette Recorder
Yamaha K-300 Cassette Recorder

CD PLAYERS
Pioneer PD-F1004 CD Changer
Sony CDP-C20 CD Changer
Sony CDP-CE415 CD Changer

Last edited:
I think the World is certainly a lot better off without me calling the shots. If you can only make it for a limited time, that's still better than not attending at all!
:thmbsp:

I'll bring a preamp, amp and a phonostage just in case, but it's even better if people have their Super-Duper creations there to try out instead of just my rather mundane gear. If you could, you may want to bring a couple of specially selected LPs to demo your TT with. That will insure that your TT is shown to it's full potential!

Best Regards,
TerryO

thanks Terry , I think I will be bring my A/D/S econowaves and Mcintosh ma6100 integrated, obviously the Mac isnt DIY but it has two phono inputs for the two arms. I am going to try and push back my appointment so I can stay a couple more hours, looking forward to it!

I'm not a do-it-yourselfer. I can't hang a picture properly. But I just parted out a Thorens 165. Is it ok to bring parts to this get together to sell to anyone who might be able to use them? Thanks very much. Cheers for now. David.

P.S. I also have the gear below that is either not working or just needs a good cleaning. I'd love for them to find good homes. Should I get them out of storage and load up the Volvo wagon?

RECEIVERS
Kenwood KR-3090 Receiver
Pioneer SX-450 Receiver
Concord CR-250 Receiver

CASSETTE RECORDERS
Nakamichi BX-100 Cassette Recorder
Aiwa AD-1250 Cassette Recorder
BIC T-1 Cassette Recorder
Teac V-380C Cassette Recorder
Yamaha K-300 Cassette Recorder

CD PLAYERS
Pioneer PD-F1004 CD Changer
Sony CDP-C20 CD Changer
Sony CDP-CE415 CD Changer

We'll try to have a table available for swap, trade or sale items. However, you'll be responsible for looking after your own gear.

Best Regards,
TerryO

thanks Terry , I think I will be bring my A/D/S econowaves and Mcintosh ma6100 integrated, obviously the Mac isnt DIY but it has two phono inputs for the two arms. I am going to try and push back my appointment so I can stay a couple more hours, looking forward to it!

That sounds like a great idea! The Econowaves are certainly welcome addition, I'd really like to hear them myself.
:thmbsp:

Best Regards,
Terry

Well it's over and I've caught up on some badly needed rest. The meet was fun (they always are) and I got to know a few more diy'ers. All in all, I think it went off well although attendance wasn't as high as some previous meets we've had. The really nice weather probably distracted a lot of people. This summer has been notable for the rain and dismal, overcast days, it's like we've just skipped a season altogether.

I'll try to give some of my impressions of the meet tomorrow, but it's a lot better if others could offer their view. Also, if anyone took pictures and would post them that would be very much appreciated.

Best Regards,
Terry

Per Terry's pic request, alot of stuff mixed together, maybe owners can list what belongs to who if they want.

Bruce,

4th pic; Will's speakers and F5 amp,

5th pic; Terry O's speakers,

6th pic; Jerermy's DIY turntable

Attachments

• IMG_1099.jpg
    IMG_1099.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_1096.jpg
    IMG_1096.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1119.jpg
    IMG_1119.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_1113.jpg
    IMG_1113.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 661
  • IMG_1097.jpg
    IMG_1097.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1103.jpg
    IMG_1103.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
A few more pics 1st; Will getting a chance to listen to really high vol level on speakers he made with help, 2nd; Will's F5, 3rd; a nice stack of stuff, 4th; a nice tube set up, 5th; Dave R's DIY set up, and 6th; my TV speaker set up.

Attachments

• IMG_1115.jpg
    IMG_1115.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_1106.jpg
    IMG_1106.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_1107.jpg
    IMG_1107.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1121.jpg
    IMG_1121.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_1094.jpg
    IMG_1094.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_1095.jpg
    IMG_1095.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
Hey Doc!

Thanks for posting those pictures, it really helps.
I'll try to fill in some info, at least what I know, about the gear shown.

Best Regards,
TerryO

This is a two-fer picture.
In the foreground is DaveR's 3 ways (with series crossovers) playing. The ugly "speaker stands" are the product of some crazed weirdo that shouldn't have been allowed in. After all, we need to hold ourselves to a very high standard in diy.

Will's Pi-4 hi-effeciency speaker adaptations are in the background. Will is 17 years old and is already turning out really nice work.

In the middle are three diy amplifiers. From left to right: Rene' Yeager's Push-Pull Class A tube amp with O'Netics Iron, next is Damon Hill's Leach amp that has been built, rebuilt and modified for over twenty (?) years. Last is my Chip Amp.

attachment.php

Last edited:
Here's a little better picture of Will's speaker and his Pass F5 amp (minus the face plate). Excellent workmanship, it's abundantly clear that he listened closely to my advice...and then disgarded it.
:scratch2:

attachment.php

I've got to go and pick up my youngest son...to be continued.

Last edited:
Here's a couple of speakers from some escapee from The Half-Way House for the Criminally Insane. The pair on the left were named the "Hi-Tweek Black Box Nearfield Monitors" a single driver application with nearly every driver modification (save one!) performed to a Radio Shack 1197 driver.

The second was the "Big Money" speaker, in which the builder took a decent design (Rosgaard DR-1) and invested his entire life savings in the finish. Talk about expensive speakers. However, if it's true that you get what you pay for, then these would have to sound like about $70,000,000!

attachment.php

Best Regards,
TerryO

This is Jeremy's diy TT that he recently finished. He actually had his own room to show off his system. Everyone was really interested in it and there wasn't any disappointment, as it performed quite nicely. Jeremy also had a pair of Econo-waved speakers that weren't bad at all.

His setup nearly max'd out our Critically Calibrated Coolness Factometer!
attachment.php

Best Regards,
TerryO

Last edited:
Will's Nelson Pass F5 amplifier. Please note that it's a true dual mono design, with dual Power supplies even down to a separate power cord for each channel!

Very nice workmanship, and I can't wait to hear it.

attachment.php

Best Regards,
TerryO

This is Rene' Yeager's new Class "A" Push-Pull amplifier with World Class O'Netics output iron. He was using an outboard precision Power Supply and it sounded great. Top Notch sound from a top notch designer.

attachment.php

Best Regards,
TerryO

This is Dave Rosgaard's 2.1 home computer system being driven by a barely visable portable CD player. The Subwoofer also houses the amplifier for the sub and both mains. A modest system (by Dave's standards), but it sounds quite nice indeed. Please note that Dave spared no expense on his mini-system and uses the fabulous "Moonshine White Lightening" speaker cables!

attachment.php

Best Regards,
TerryO

Last edited:
Last, but certainly not least, was Doc Zinger's personal system. This was not only an extremely nice sounding system, but the craftsmanship was excellent. The main speakers and the equipment stand were finished in matching wood veneer. I believe that he had said that the "veneer" was actually hand sawn out of much thicker stock, although he left it pretty hefty as it was. It's not so much a veneer, as it is thin boards. You won't accidently sand through these!

These were nice enough that I hope Doc will fill us in on more of the details.

attachment.php

Best Regards,
TerryO

Back
Top Bottom