Yamaha CR-840 Loud Pop 3 Minutes After Power On

chasaboo

After 3 minutes from turning on my CR-840 I get a very loud pop. In those three minutes it sounds fine but when that pop hits it's really quite loud.

BTW when I turn it off, no loud pop at all and the same is true when starting up after the relay kicks in, no pop. But then about 3 minutes after that, wham! :tears:

Curious if anyone has any ideas as to how I might be able to stop the popping?

Thanks.

If it was Offset,I would think it would "pop" when then spkr protect relay "sets". My guess is a capacitor ,diode or a transistor is heating up and generating the pop.

Should I get one of those laser thermometers to find out which part is the one that's heating up?

The heating up would be a normal function--the internal thermal break down is the issue. These types of problems are a mofo to isolate..

BTW thank you for all the great help you've given me the past few months, you're a great poster.

Do you think it would be worth the time to check the values of resistors witha multimeter?

Do you think it would be worth the time to check the values of resistors witha multimeter?
Probably wouldn't find the source of pop..Need to narrow down the possibilities..Does it pop in both speakers?

Does the 840 have a "pre-out/main in" on the rear panel ? Do you have another amp or preamp or integrated amp or reciever with pre-out/main-in ?

Great questions.

I have amps, preamps, integrated amps and I think I know where you're going with that but the CR-840 doesn't let you split the amp from the preamp.

Hard to tell if the pop is coming from just one channel as the pop is so loud and such a surprise even when you're waiting for it.

I know the pop happens with the Tuner and I've been trying to catch it popping in tape, aux, and phono but it only seems like it's happening in the tuner section.

Intriguing! :yes:

the CR-840 doesn't let you split the amp from the preamp.
That blows.. So far only popping with the tuner...:scratch2:
Well that narrows down the search area....

I fired up the receiver today with the FM Tuner selected and strangely enough no pop and the popping had been very, very consistent.

Self healing Yamaha vintage receivers, who knew? :D

Since I'm going to be relamping him shortly I'm still wondering if I should take out my DMM and measure resistors. Are acceptable resistors ones that are within 5 or 10% of their stated values?

I have a Yamaha A-1 amp that was doing the same thing--pop at both channels shortly after power-up and it would occasionally trip the protection relay. So, I put myself on Echowars' list and have sent it off for a restoration and check-up.

If you find out what the fix is and could post back, that would be cool.

After hearing about all the great EW results I'll bet your Yamaha comes back better than new! :D

You must be eager to get her back.

Will do.

I remember the first time that I heard the pop (both channels, tuner, CD or TT on subsequent occasions) I nearly jumped out of my shoes it was so omni-present and loud.

Cleaning out some old threads that I had subscribed to - did anyone ever nail down possible cause and cure for this...?

I flipped to separates for awhile now so I never got a chance to figure out what was causing that crazy loud pop.

I'll be moving from tubes to receivers as the weather gets warmer and if I get a chance I'm going to try and nail down the Yamaha's problem.

Yamaha CR-640 same popping

I have the same problem with my receiver. Sorry about the old thread but perhaps there is more information now. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom