Leben/Harbeth Listening Session in St. Louis

I want to go. I'm still not positive that I can get the time off, though. My job has basically taken a giant crap on my life in the past couple months and there's little I can do about it except to be happy that I have it.

Here are a few photos..
On the left side, a Leben CS300, below a Leben CS600. On the right, a Leben line stage preamp, below a Leben MC phono preamp.
DSCN2206.jpg

Michael, Charlie, and Steve listening to some tasty tunes.
DSCN2205.jpg

DSCN2204.jpg

Totems, DeVores, Harbeths, and Vandersteens, oh my!
DSCN2203.jpg

DSCN2202.jpg

DSCN2201.jpg

Last edited:
I'm so jealous! I really wanted to go. Instead I'm stuck in this hotel in LA. What did everybody think?

I'm so jealous! I really wanted to go. Instead I'm stuck in this hotel in LA. What did everybody think?

John, the Harbeth Compact 7s with the Leben CS600 were quite good. When we swapped the Compacts out for the larger Harbeths, I thought the bass was possibly a little too ripe, but with the 14' ceilings, that can sometimes be problematic.

Michael reacted quite favorably to the one set of Totems. We ran through the Leben CS300, 600, and Michael's Van Alstine modded Dynaco Stereo 70(with the Totems.) The Harbeths did not like the Dynaco, while the Totems were quite happy with the ST70. Synergy and good impedance matching can make a huge difference in what plays well together.

The turntable setup was quite nice, with a balanced presentation that drew us in in very comfortable fashion. The Harbeths, Leben, and TT are a system I could live with happily in a loft style apartment for years.

:drool:

where was this?

David, this all happened at St. Louis Stereo, 2020 Washington downtown. Michael came up with his son for a youth select hockey tournament, and he wanted to audition some Harbeths for his evolving sound room. We will visit again. :thmbsp:

Some of the new Totem look.
DSCN2173.jpg

Wow! I didn't know a store like this existed here!

Lemme know the next time you guys do something...I'd love to join, and now that I have wheels again, I can!

John, the Harbeth Compact 7s with the Leben CS600 were quite good. When we swapped the Compacts out for the larger Harbeths, I thought the bass was possibly a little too ripe, but with the 14' ceilings, that can sometimes be problematic.

Michael reacted quite favorably to the one set of Totems. We ran through the Leben CS300, 600, and Michael's Van Alstine modded Dynaco Stereo 70(with the Totems.) The Harbeths did not like the Dynaco, while the Totems were quite happy with the ST70. Synergy and good impedance matching can make a huge difference in what plays well together.

The turntable setup was quite nice, with a balanced presentation that drew us in in very comfortable fashion. The Harbeths, Leben, and TT are a system I could live with happily in a loft style apartment for years.
Thanks for the update. I've run my Harbeths with a modified Stereo-70 here and everything is great except the bass. It just doesn't match up well, though they like my Eico 2036, which has less power but somehow just mates up better.

I'm purchasing a used CS-300x, which will probably be mated to 94db/watt Cabasse Sloop M-2s, or the Harbeths for certain listening. I wanted the CS-600, and may go that route, but I split the budget between my two systems. The main system (Quads) is getting a new preamp/phono stage from, I believe, Klyne...pending audition.

If you all do it again, I'd love to join. I'm a big fan of Totem as well. My choice of speakers had come down to Harbeth 7s and Totem Forests. I didn't know much about Devore back then.

I'm a big fan of Totem as well. My choice of speakers had come down to Harbeth 7s and Totem Forests. I didn't know much about Devore back then.

I've owned Totems, Devores and Harbeth and really do enjoy all of them.

Showed this thread to my wife and she said "room looks like it resonates like hell. Where are the room treatments". She's becoming dangerous.

I've owned Totems, Devores and Harbeth and really do enjoy all of them.

Showed this thread to my wife and she said "room looks like it resonates like hell. Where are the room treatments". She's becoming dangerous.

Art, let her know this is a loft, with the ducts being steel member hung. If they are moving enough to reasonate, you will be wearing concrete chips. :D
The second and third photos in the first series also show that the two side walls are diverging, a good thing for a listening room.

I'm stalking the maker for the record throw pillows.:D

Art, let her know this is a loft, with the ducts being steel member hung. If they are moving enough to reasonate, you will be wearing concrete chips. :D
The second and third photos in the first series also show that the two side walls are diverging, a good thing for a listening room.

I'm stalking the maker for the record throw pillows.:D

I think she was referring to echo and it certainly looks like it would. Other than that I think I'll let her carry on...after all at least she is thinking about sound :thmbsp:.

Back
Top Bottom