CA/CT Series Cases

jheu02

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I know the cases are made of plywood, but what's the actual brown finish on them? Is it a thin vinyl? You can see/feel the grain pattern through it, but it doesn't really look like a natural wood. I don't want to scrape if it really is a wood finish surface, but it may be worth removing the vinyl for a nice oiled finish.

Thanks,

Smaller ones are vinyl, probably over birch plywood from what I've read, but I haven't seen it myself. Bigger ones are wood veneer, likely walnut. Someone correct me if I'm wrong...
I have seen pictures of receivers with the vinyl peeled off and then just the naked plywood finished with something... Looked good. Whatever the plywood is, it was at least good-one-side product.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Smaller ones are vinyl, probably over birch plywood from what I've read, but I haven't seen it myself. Bigger ones are wood veneer, likely walnut. Someone correct me if I'm wrong...
I have seen pictures of receivers with the vinyl peeled off and then just the naked plywood finished with something... Looked good. Whatever the plywood is, it was at least good-one-side product.

I'm pretty sure the CA-800 parts unit I have is a wood veneer.

Curiosity got the better of me and so I started sanding the back top of a case that was dinged. A white dust was being made in the process and underneath was a tannish colored layer. This reminds me of the vinyl covering on my SX-780 which was able to be peeled off by using a heat gun. So, I believe that there's a simulated wood-grain vinyl of fairly high quality over the plywood, at least on my units. It's just too uniform to be natural IMO.

I don't think any CA/CT models (or any unit with a plywood case) have real timber veneers. My understanding is, all used a fake walnut plastic over plywood. Sort of ironical as plywood itself is made from thin veneers known as plies.

Might use MDF today to make the cases. Don't think Medium Density Fibreboard was around in the '70's.

Yamaha used a variety of finishes. On the Cn-n0 series I hhave never been able to figure out what it is. If it is real wood veneer it is extremely thin except for the Cr-1000 which is real wood veneer. On the Cn-n20 series it is vinyl simulated woodgrain ecept for the 1020 and 2020 where a real wood veneer was used. The CR-3020 is Macassar Ebony veneer - which sells for about $13 a square foot. The Cn-n40 series were vinyl simulated woodgrain except for the CR-2040 where the finish was a lacquer based simulated woodgrain.

Yamaha used a variety of finishes. On the Cn-n0 series I hhave never been able to figure out what it is. If it is real wood veneer it is extremely thin except for the Cr-1000 which is real wood veneer. On the Cn-n20 series it is vinyl simulated woodgrain ecept for the 1020 and 2020 where a real wood veneer was used. The CR-3020 is Macassar Ebony veneer - which sells for about $13 a square foot. The Cn-n40 series were vinyl simulated woodgrain except for the CR-2040 where the finish was a lacquer based simulated woodgrain.

And there you go! From the guy who would know... ML has re-veneered lots of these I'm sure... I'm lucky enough to have two of them now. :D (they look awesome ML - thanks again!)

ML -- I'm a little confused with your model reference numbers. But in your experience and learned opinion, do the integrated amps CA-1010 and CA-2010 have plastic or timber finishes?

Trying to recall, but generally by the time you get to any 1010, 1020, 2010, or 2020 model it was real wood veneer. While the vinyl Yamaha used was pretty good it would be hard to mistake it for the real thing.

M.L. Yes -- Just had another look at the 1010 I have. Certainly different look to the other models. A real timber veneer one thinks. But what type of timber? Walnut? Not sure, i've seen some on here and other places suggest Teak? - Grain is not unlike Teak....

Attachments

• DSCN4401.jpg
    DSCN4401.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 13
  • DSCN4411.jpg
    DSCN4411.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 13
Among my many, I have a 1010 in the garage. I've always thought it was English walnut, as it perfectly matches the cabinet that houses it which when purchased in 1959 was marked "English walnut".

Looks like teak to me. I have the same on my ca-2010 ct 1010 combo, and they match my teak furniture very well.

Back
Top Bottom