And yet another sick CA-2010

d2e8b8

I bought a dead, untested CA-2010 ... it turned out a bit more dead than I'd have liked.

The two big power capacitors are missing. The board that houses the big caps has a black burn mark and it seems to have burnt off around the space that would be between the two caps. I mean, there's a sort of hole there with black marks around it.

The previous owner has 'reconfigured' some of the wiring to that board perhaps in an attempt to test or fix. I think with the help of a schematic or pics of some internals I can restore the wiring - not many wires ... about 6.

I don't know if I can get a replacement board (or if someone can create one for me) but it's a simple enough board so I 'could' put new caps in and jumper any broken wiring.

However, given the nature of the problem, most likely there are other issues in the amp ... one or more power transistors and possibly other components as well. By the time it's all done, the costs could be quite high.

I cannot 'see' any other issues in the amp so I may get lucky ... but seriously, I have limited talent and skills with a meter and an iron. This one may be bigger than I can tackle ...

So (and I realize the answer will tend to lean a certain way given the question is in the Yamaha forum) ... is it worthwhile even attempting to fix this. I'm a little daunted right now and am thinking selling it for parts may be the better option.

Last edited:
Wow that's quite a burn! I would try to find a replacement board instead of jumpering around like they did though. That's something that would probably keep me up at night wondering when it was going to burn my house down.

I know what I'd do with it. I'd repair it.:yes: Its worth alot more in working condition than its worth in parts.:smoke:

If you decide it's too much for you, I wouldn't mind taking a crack at it... How are the external cosmetics?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

If you decide it's too much for you, I wouldn't mind taking a crack at it... How are the external cosmetics?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

A little copper foil,a little,maybe alot of epoxy..:D Be good as new..:thmbsp:

Taking another look this morning, I started feeling suspicious about the transformer - there's some discoloration (visible in the pics above) and I thought I could feel some uneveness in that area when I run my finger over it.

I chickened out (I know I know) and returned the unit for a refund. I'm out a couple of round trips of gas but I had paid more for it than I was comfortable with.

The seller had some idea there were issues and were comfortable taking it back. I explained to them they shouldn't try to power the unit without having a tech look at it first and that if they do put it on sale again, they need to mention that it has issues.

4Seat, sorry, I decided I needed to get my money out. If you're interested you could watch out for one coming up for sale again - my suspicion is they will list it again at a lower price. The cosmetics were excellent - everything esle about the unit was excellent.

Back
Top Bottom