NS-690mkI find

Electone

Saw these on kijiji way back in September and really didn't give them much thought at the time as my CR-2020 was in storage. Noticed the the ad was still up a couple of weeks ago, so I flipped the owner an email and went to see them. Listened to a few tracks and flipped over the cash right on the spot.

I can't believe how heavy these speakers are! The built-like-a-tank cliche is an understatement. I've had them hooked up to my CR-2020 / NAD 2100 combo for a little while now and my impressions are that they are very monitor-like. Analytical, music-in, music-out, with no colouration. I'd even go so far to say that bass response is a little thin, but I have a feeling that it is probably much more accurate than usual and not bloated. Dynamics are pretty incredible and I'm surprised that the imaging is as good as it is considering the non-mirrored design. Now, for some stands. A couple quick pics:

2uwn.jpg

0z6v.jpg

I've got my 690 MkI's on 2" Mapleshade platforms with the front spikes about a half inch taller than the rears so that the tweeters are tilted up towards my ears. The bass is about perfect, tight, tuneful and very musical. Another thing about these is they don't jump out at you as doing anything special but extended listening reveals a balanced and musical sound. I got mine for $200 and feel like I stole them...

Those are beautiful! I haven't heard 690's but what I have heard about them has really all been positive. I have ns-70t's and ns-500m's so I imagine the 690's are a step above the 70t's and very much in line with the 500m's.

Those are nice. :thmbsp:

I bought a pair of 690's that needed surrounds and basically bought them because they weighed about 70lbs each. You can hardly go wrong with heavy speakers. I refoamed them and traded off to a friend but kinda regret getting rid of them because they did sound pretty good. And they look nice too.

Thanks, that gives me lots of stand ideas. 20" seems way too high for these "bookshelf" speakers. I'm thinking under 12" will suit my needs.

I also have these speakers! They are very good sounding! Well made also! By all means, get them off the floor and onto a good stand. I'd say no more than 10" off the floor or the bass will become too lean. Tilt them back a bit also to point the tweeters at your'e ears while sitting.

Great looking system you have! Yamaha sure made some classy gear!:thmbsp:

I also have these speakers! They are very good sounding! Well made also! By all means, get them off the floor and onto a good stand. I'd say no more than 10" off the floor or the bass will become too lean. Tilt them back a bit also to point the tweeters at your'e ears while sitting.

Great looking system you have! Yamaha sure made some classy gear!:thmbsp:

+1!
Off the floor but near the floor and tilted back a few degrees is the ticket.
A few feet off the front wall is good:)
I think the 690s are an audio work of art.

+ 2 .......... I find them Very close sounding to the NS-1000's..Enjoy.:thmbsp:

How many owners have bothered recapping? I usually would with speakers this old, but they sound really, really good as is.

How many owners have bothered recapping? I usually would with speakers this old, but they sound really, really good as is.

I was thinking that as well. I was going to pull the speaker terminal / cap board out to have a look around. I considered changing out the spring-clip posts to 5-way binders, but I'm leaving these things completely stock, including the caps.

I have both NS1000 and NS690. In my opinion......you should have a room that allows these wonderful speakers to perform. They sound incredible from 20 feet, 16 inches off the floor, no tilt, about 8 feet apart. Anything less than that you might become a critic. They are NOT bass shy, no imitations, very revealing, very accurate. Poor recordings and input gear will become immediately apparent. I will never sell them. I wish I had more ears. :music:

I have the MKII version and really like the way they sound . Yours look to be in excellent condition .

I recapped my NS-690s with Mundorf caps and noticed a difference right away - particularly in bass.

I also did my NS-1000s. Didn't notice a huge difference there, but I think those NS-1000 crossovers were designed to last.

One thing was sure though, the values of those factory caps either didn't have high tolerances from the beginning or were drifting, because some of them were 25% off! So, if nothing else, just by replacing them with new plastic caps that have a 1% or less tolerance, you are bringing the crossover back into spec as intended by the original designers.

Last edited:
Based on my NS1000, NS200 and other NS… experiences.

Confirming what others have said, more than 10” off the ground will make the bass lean; + or – a few inches can make a lot difference in their sound, your mileage might vary. I’ve found dialing in bass is more important than having tweeters right at ear level. But I’ve always been too OCD when it comes to speaker height. Tilting back does help but I’ve never liked the look.

On most stands these speakers will be top heavy and move a bit. There is a guy from Arkansas who makes custom stands for a fair price. Some other Ak’er had them made for his NS 1000 and they are very solid and look fantastic. They are the best affordable speaker stands I have ever seen.

Yours do look excellent; super excellent and well cared for. But over the years I have looked at crossover of many NS speakers and have been surprised seeing a lot of half assed recap jobs. A missing screw on the back panel is often a clue. Out of respect for this line of speakers I would have a recap professionally done or by someone who really knows what they are doing. New binding posts are nice too but know what you doing.

Amplifiers also matter; Belgainbrain uses a M2 and a CA2010 and I’m partial to the M4. They do work well, especially in the bass, with many Yamaha amplifiers.

Michael

How did I miss those on kijij! Lucky you... If they were reasonably priced if have scooped then up myself. :D

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom