Yamaha R-9

W.ALLEN

I picked up a R-9 receiver with a GE-60 eq a couple of days ago , bought this with a set of JBL L80T's . I was after the speakers when I went to get the system . The more I listen and play with this set up I am starting to like it it sounds good , usually I go for the 70's era gear . It even came with the owners manuals . The manual says it is 125 wpc and has auto class A . Pretty clean stuff , just need to wipe all the finger prints off of it . I was curious to know what the Yamaha listeners think of this set up and how it compares to the older Yamaha gear .

003_zpsd10b18f5.jpg~original

Last edited:
I had an R9 for a while and I liked what I heard from it. Typical clean sounding Yamaha. The class A feature was a nice added touch as well. I couldn't tell a difference in the sound but it sure got hot running in class A. Only reason I got rid of mine was it had fm problems.
Congrats on your new toy and that eq looks as though it's a quality piece to.

Had an R-90 in the early/mid 90's; very clean and good power but a really funky eq...all push button and presets. I'd bet the R-9 sounds very similar.

This one does not run as warm as a M65 I had , don't know what I am going to do with this set up yet , it sounds good but I like older stuff . I did want to ask about the simulated stereo mode , I noticed when you have it in that mode and move the ballance left to right the bass is different from one side to the next but sounds right if ballance is left in the middle , if left in regular stereo mode left to right on the ballance is normal , and is deeper sounding . Is this Yamahas version of SDA effect ?

Just went out and hooked up phono and cd , must say it does sound really good . I am impressed with the phono sound , has mc option also but don't have a mc cartridge to try it out .

sounds well indeed

I have R-9, and R-8, they all have Yammy typical sound (comparing to CA-2010, CR-1020, 1040 and 820).

R-9 has more protruding image, it can really bring singer in your room.:banana: But if you use it to power headphone, the singer will drill your brain from top.

I think the corresponding integrated amp is A-1000, can anyone confirm it?

That is a really cool-looking EQ.

Also very surprising with class A in a receiver. Must be a good one, then.

And that is all I have to say about that.

Back
Top Bottom