Infinity Quantum 3 speakers found at a yard sale

I had a set back with one of the Watkins I had refomed. After installing it and connecting the Infinity’s to the SX-1250 for the Grand first listen, I heard a slight buzzing from the one QLS-3. I checked it for rub after the glue set and it seemed fine. I can’t imagined what changed after a few weeks of sitting on my finished bench. :scratch2: Ever so slight rub. It's realy hard to tell. Only by knowing it buzzes can you move the cone and can feel that it's there.

Bummer :tears:

Trying to correct it after I had refomed it is a nightmare as I used the white glue Orange County Speaker sent with the kit. I had seen some of the proper speaker glue at Fry's and should of purchased it. Anyway I sent the speaker to OCS for repair. I think it’s a little off dimensionally and the spider maybe warped.

Sending it to Watkins was not an option as I have put to much money in this set of Infinity’s.

But:
Even with the buzzing woofer: THEY KICK SOME SERIOUS ASS!!!!! :banana:
Never owned a set of speakers that sounded that good.

A friend of mine, his late uncle had some fantastic gear, Marantz 2275, Pioneer CT-F950, FOUR Infinity Q3's, and some bad ASS JVC tt. All sit unloved in his mom's basement.

She is a great lady, and has lent me (permanently) her PL-600 Pioneer TT (the gray GOOD one) but I can't get the other gear out of her hands. He died in 1978 at the age of 26, and it is a sentimental thing.

I DID get her to have the Marantz repaired. I listened to it for 5 minutes, and was just sick. It now provides sound for their tv viewing, good ol' 2.0.

I received the repaired woofer OCS did for me. Couldn't wait to hear them! I installed with new stainless hardware, set them up, connected to the mostly complete SX-1250 and listened the my music. I have to say I was a kid in a candy store. I wanted to hear all my favorite music all over again. Each song was a new experience. SHIT!!!!!!!!!!!! :banana:

attachment.php

It felt like I was working on a car. I had them on saw horses.

attachment.php

attachment.php

This is the repaired woofer by Orange County Spearker. Wounderful job!

attachment.php

If you guys remember, I just cleaned these up, got all the original drivers, rebuilt the crossovers, and woofers. The cabs were sanded down with 220 and fresh Watco Dainish oil was applied. Nothing fancy. They still have some dents and a few scratches. Some veneer is missing on the edges so I call em' ten footers with old glasses. They sound fantastic!

I still have to repair the original Dome Midrange's but the Domes which came with them are pretty nice. Don't worry, I will complete the repairs and have a OEM set of Infinity QLS-3's. Holy Dog!!!!!!!!!

One last thing: You Guys (Members) in this Infinity Forum are by far the best! (Like the Members in the Pioneer Forum!!) The help and advice was only spot on. I read past posts after posts and only true passion was displayed. I am now a proud owner of some really nice Drivers thanks to you! :thmbsp:

Attachments

• qls 9.jpg
    qls 9.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 87
  • qls 10.jpg
    qls 10.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 87
  • qls 11.jpg
    qls 11.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 89
  • qls 12.jpg
    qls 12.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 85
Very happy to read your comments, Zeb.
Them be some pretty speakers.

Wonder what they'd sound like on your old 1010??

They run 4 ohms or less. I would be in a hurt to have to connect them.
I love'm. Sweet.

Last edited:
Looking good! Try the original domes after you use the replacements for a while and let us know how they sound.

I am getting ready to recap my Infinity Quantum IIIs. This thread is very helpful. I have the caps. I need to get the stuff to clean the pots before I open them up. I had my Watkin woofers refoamed 15 years ago, so hopefully, all I have to worry about is the caps and the pots.

Back
Top Bottom