Infinity Quantum 3 speakers found at a yard sale

zebulon1

Working on my own stuff. Finally
Subscriber
I purchased this set today at a yard sale for $20.00. Not in bad shape and I think the cabinets will shine up nicely. BUT, they do not have the original subs installed or the QLS soft-dome mid-range's. So? What Next?

I thought I would re-foam the subs and see how they sound.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• infinidy 1.jpg
    infinidy 1.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 714
  • infinidy 2.jpg
    infinidy 2.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 708
These are a very fine speaker in good condition. It would be very worthwhile trying to find some origional drivers.
Have fun

I am in search and am researching the drivers. I have read and looked at some pictures with the clear poly cones. Did Q 3's come with both? I can refoam these cheap and get them up and running while in search for the correct OEM gear. I tried to look up the current drivers and found nothing on the net regarding this Silent Sounds Inc. Company. The other thing is they don't fit in the trim ring, they are slightly bigger by a few hairs. So they don't fit down into the rabbited flange. I would have to construct a shim the same thickness as the outer flange in order to preserve the ring. I thought I would remove the trim ring until I get the correct driver.

The grills are in pretty good shape. The black paint is chipping off and a little warped, but they do have the Emblems. Not to much work to get them in shape.

I did look on Ebay for the missing items and was shocked at the "Buy it now" prices.

I plan to order the re-foam Monday.

Last edited:
With original drivers the Q3's are damned fine speakers. They are well worth restoring.

Yes, with some patient and prudent driver purchases they'd well be worth the price of restoral

If a guy had some 12 inch drivers laying around, what would be the specs needed for a "As close to a proper replacement?" :scratch2: :no: :nono: :yes:

Dual coil
4 ohm?
20 to 300 Hz?
Bilaminate polymer-composite woofer cone?

What about the 2 ohm and 4 ohm taps?

I took a few pictures of the Midrange that's installed. Check out the butchery. :tears:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• infinity 4.jpg
    infinity 4.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 611
  • infinity 6.jpg
    infinity 6.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 611
  • infinity 5.jpg
    infinity 5.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 609
  • infinity 3.jpg
    infinity 3.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 610
The original mids may cover the hole completely but you may want to reinforce them a little. You did very well as the remaining drivers if working would bring several times the amount you paid on ebay if you choose not to restore them. If you choose to restore them from what I have read from others you will be very pleased with their performance. I have yet to own a pair of the quantum era...
Jim

Those are nice midrange speakers philips made in belgium they may be worth something on the bay. considering the other midrange drivers in the infinity quantum line are philips they may be a close match sonically. shame about the butchery of the cabinets though. Good luck with the restore.

patience... get some original watkins woofers... If you want to spend some $$, I think you can get new ones from them http://www.watkinsstereo.com/ (NO AFFILIATION)

I'd add an alert on the auction site. Those woofers, when at good price, lats for some minutes-hours there. Professional buyers are looking for those deals.

I agree, those mids could be quite good, but I doubt they match the originals in response, efficiency, impedance, crossover points... To many variables. And that's a very fine speaker.

Yep get some real Watkins and mid domes .. I have 2 sets of Q3's and a set of Q5's with all orig speakers now. Took me a while and some $$$ to fill in the gap. The Watkins drop down to the 2 ohm range at very low freq. so a good amp is needed also...
My .02

John M

Nice score, Zebulon, your work is definitely cut out for ya.

Is that Colleen Camp in your avatar??

I will power them with this! (Toshiba SA-7150) :D
Because I want to baby my Pioneer SX-1250. :sigh:

attachment.php

Attachments

• Tohseiba.jpg
    Tohseiba.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 256
Last edited:
OK! I don't know any group that can make me spend more money than you guys!! :tears:

You guys have to give me a lesson on the proper terms for these speakers sets so I can speak the same language. I am finally getting more technical about sound reproduction other than refoaming yet another pair of Cerwin Vegas (for friends).

Nice find and for only $20?!?!

You need a pair of dual voice coil Watkins woofers, they are available from Watkins and come up regularly on Ebay.

Those mids come up once-in-a-while too, but they aren't cheap! Expect to pay about $100-120 a pair.

The red and black caps in the crossover are likely shot, replace them. But the film caps have a long life and they contribute to the "Infinity sound", replace if you wish, but use film caps not electrolytics.

That's a fine receiver for these speakers, damping factor of 50 and 250 watts into a 4 ohm load. They are underrated, great FM section too!

I'm looking forward to hearing about your progress and impressions.

Still in tear-down

This is the crossovers.

attachment.php

attachment.php

The serial numbers are not sequential.

attachment.php

Both control panels are loose where stapled to the back of the cabinet. Half of the staples the factory put in are only driven half way in. I was
looking at the veneer a little closer in anticipation of refinishing them this weekend. I really think this will turn out very, very nice.

I'm still trying to get a grip on the cost of drivers. The Ribbon tweeters check good as well as the Mid cone's.

Attachments

• infinity Q3 cros 1.jpg
    infinity Q3 cros 1.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 264
  • infinity Q3 cros 2.jpg
    infinity Q3 cros 2.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 267
  • infinity Q3 cros 3.jpg
    infinity Q3 cros 3.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 266
Last edited:
Back