Kappa 7 Repairs

Talk_Louder

As I've been lurking and searching the archives, I've become acutely aware that the polydomes on my poor Kappa 7’s are no longer made or available (both domes virtually turned to dust). I have also seen the name of an outfit thrown around that can at least get them back in working order. That name is MillerSound in Lansdale, PA. I have not contacted them yet; I would first like for someone to chime in and tell me if they are the Godsend for my plight.

Also, if Bill turns out to be my savior, I will probably send him both woofers as well for a re-foam. I could do it, but I find that the older I get, the more my TIME seems to be worth. And hey, it’s only money…. Right?

So, what say you Infinity aficionados? Can my Kappas be saved from a horrible death? Is there maybe another trusted source for these types of repairs?

Oh, and I would really like to get back the same things I sent (I have read horror stories about this).

Thanks in advance. I’m starting to go crazy with junk speakers with my Denon gear. I’m getting old, but I can hear enough to know better!

Cheers,
Mark

Denon POA2400, Denon PRA1100, Infinity Kappa7, Bose AM-5s just to freak out folks for giggles, miscellanious turntables and CD decks... depending on my mood.

I did not get the work done you are talking about but have used Millersound for other speaker work. They are local to me. Best thing to do is give them a call or email. They are a smallish shop attatched to the family house. They will be able to answer all your questions. As long as the other parts of the mids are working I would guess he can glue new dones on if he still has them. The ones I've seen that he has worked on have black dones on the original frame and coil. Some even have the Infinity logo on it.

This will most likely cost a little more than buying used domes from ebay but they will be at least as good as new. The woofers would be checked over very Thoroughly and good as new when you get them back.
Jim

I have had work done by Bill nd I can't reccomend him enough, he not only knows what he is doing, He loves the classic infinities, also dealing with him as a person is easy as it gets. if he can't fix your speakers it can't be done. He also has great priccing other people will charge you an arm and a leg to do what he does.

Followup

I resurected this thread just to reiterate what slim and JD wrote. I sent my polydomes to Millersound, and ten days later I recieved a beautiful "new" pair of domes. Although not the clear poly, the black domes are embossed with the Infinity logo. So while they may not be authentic, they certainly look like they belong in the cabinets. Oh, and they sound awesome to boot!

The experience with Bill and Loretta LeGall was smooth sailing from start to finish. Bottom line is this: If you're Infinities are sick, don't hesitate to send them to Dr. LeGall for treatment. You won't regret it.

Cheers,
Mark

$000,000,000.02 worth

I resurected this thread just to reiterate what slim and JD wrote. I sent my polydomes to Millersound, and ten days later I recieved a beautiful "new" pair of domes. Although not the clear poly, the black domes are embossed with the Infinity logo. So while they may not be authentic, they certainly look like they belong in the cabinets. Oh, and they sound awesome to boot!

The experience with Bill and Loretta LeGall was smooth sailing from start to finish. Bottom line is this: If you're Infinities are sick, don't hesitate to send them to Dr. LeGall for treatment. You won't regret it.

Cheers,
Mark

$000,000,000.02 worth

Well, there you go guys, quit polishing those things and just get them fixed;)

Glad to hear they helped you out. Great family and company.

Can you post some pics so we can see what the new domes look like.

These are Bill LeGall's personal Kappa's, so his dome rebuilds should look like this.

hero_rig3.jpg

These are Bill LeGall's personal Kappa's, so his dome rebuilds should look like this.

hero_rig3.jpg
Looks like he uses one of those aftermarket midrange drivers scanspeak/vifa come to mind that people use to replace the polydome with but I bet you he attaches the original polydomes voice coil to the new dome, probably sounds better than the stock one, but I thought the op said the dome had an infinity logo on it?

attachment.php

Attachments

• D76MX%20(2).jpg
    D76MX%20(2).jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 78
Im not sure thats the same dome as in those 7.1s
Looks like the edge is narrower and it doesnt look like the one on bills is fabric . This is good news though . I spoke to Bill briefly when he did my woofers but neglected to ask about his dome restoration .
Not sure If its improper to ask price range Bill charged for that .( ??) He did my woofers for peanuts ..
( I am resisting the itch to do the finish like Bill did . Id do a deep cherry ! ) I like the look of those black domes . and if Bill did them they sound optimal . Thanks for resurecting Good to know !
Im glad you got your " Poor Kappas " back . Viva La Kappa !

Back
Top Bottom