Reference Studio Monitors are friggin' nice sounding little speakers!

tomlinmgt

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Well, "little" compared to what I've been listening to. Set up about seven feet from the front wall, seven feet apart and me sitting about nine feet away they put on quite a disappearing act and that damn 5" poly mid is an unsung hero. Gonna go listen some more but after listening to side two of The Police's Synchronicity I'm regretting it took me three years to finally get around to restoring these.....and truth be told the only reason I pushed the resto through is because I have an interested buyer. These might be hard to let go. :scratch2: :sigh:

Still need to glue the dust caps on and get Danish Oil on the cabs but they're playin...and sounding pretty damn good!

jeda8agy.jpg

Now with dust caps and cabinets oiled...

javemaqu.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Most of the RSMs I've seen over the years have clear poly woofers which is a bit odd relative to the poly Watkins which were mostly opaque gray. The clear poly Watkins were earlier production. I've always wondered about the intent and difference between the clear and gray poly in similar drivers. I expect it's more than just a matter of color.

Before I decided on buying the 1.5 I listened to what must have been the 5000, RSM, and 1.5 side by side as similar 3-way Infinity speakers with 12 inch woofers and trying to decide what was the better value for the cost. That was a very long time ago but I vividly remember hearing a significant improvement going up the line and deciding there was no sense in compromising when the funds were available. They were all worthy for their relative prices but the 1.5 was clearly better when cost wasn't an issue.

The point being the RSM is certainly no slouch and was a good choice for the relative cost back when they were in production. Anyone with an opportunity to grab a set in good shape for a proper price is a lucky person. It's great for that type of speaker and certainly kicked the crap out of the vast majority of similar familiar branded speakers available at the time. But that's what Infinity did back then...:guitar::rockon:

Last edited:
^^^

You are aware the 12" poly drivers in the RSM's aren't Watkins DVC like in the 1.5's, correct?

They do not resemble the Watkins woofers in my speakers, but, that said, they look like a sweet little pair of speakers.

Well, "little" compared to what I've been listening to. Set up about seven feet from the front wall, seven feet apart and me sitting about nine feet away they put on quite a disappearing act and that damn 5" poly mid is an unsung hero. Gonna go listen some more but after listening to side two of The Police's Synchronicity I'm regretting it took me three years to finally get around to restoring these.....and truth be told the only reason I pushed the resto through is because I have an interested buyer. These might be hard to let go. :scratch2: :sigh:

You've got hands (ears) on experience with some speakers (especially big Infinitys) that I can only dream of.
You point out how good the 5" midrange is. In your opinion is it better/worse than EMIM's and polydomes?

I always thought the gray opaque cones (both woofer and midrange) were from the earlier RSM's as those are pictured in most of the advertising I've seen.

So glad I kept my bought new RSM's in a closet and brought them back to life a couple years ago.

^^^

You know, I've never heard the polydome mids. And my time with EMIMs has been pretty brief. I'll have to get back to you on that one after I get my Betas up and running (which will likely be within the next month or two as these RSM's have lit a fire under my butt to hear some more Infinity greatness...and I have a pair of RSb's to restore, as well). But after spending the last month with the JBL L250's pictured in the background I'm thinkin' Infinity's 5" poly mid might have JBL's 4" 104-H beat. They seem more full bodied, lively and offer perhaps just a slightly higher level of resolution. I'm going to have to try some of these out in OB. Maybe I'll follow through with converting these EMIM-less RSIIa's I have to RSII's by grabbing up some more of the 5" poly mids.

And you mention the grey poly cone 5" mid...I have a pair of those, also. I was thinking of trying them out in the RSM's to see if I could hear a difference. I do think the speakers will look a lot better with the woofers and mids having matching cones. You see a lot more pictures of the RSM's with the clear poly mids...not many examples of the grey mid versions out there, evidently. So you think it was the later models that used the clear cones? I thought it was the other way around. I'll have to get the serial numbers off mine and see if we can't figure out if they're early or late production. I can say this...the cap values in these RSM's are a lot higher than what I've seen others replacing in theirs.

Any way you slice it...these are fun speakers that offer impressive performance considering the package. I'm impressed.

I just sanded them out and got the Danish oil on them this afternoon and they're looking much better.

Last edited:
I'm not positive on when they changed from clear to gray.
Looking at advertising in an old Stereo Review, clear 5 inch mid ranges are shown in an ad @Infinity Systems 1980. Due to positioning I can't tell what the 12" (both single and DVC) woofers have for cone color.
Part of my theory is also the fact 1st gen. Infinitesimals had the gray DVC 5", later versions had the clear I THINK.
I'm not sure what other RS Infinity's used the single VC 12" woofer. The 1.5, 2.5, and 4.5 had 12" DVC woofers according to info at Klaus' site.

It appears the dust covers are missing from your woofers? Gray or clear, both had a fairly large black dust cover over the voice coil.

In my spare parts pile I have 4 spare pair of the 12" single voice coil woofers, 2 pair have clear cones, 2 pair have the gray.
To further muddy the waters, the 5" single VC midrange also came with "small" and "large" magnet versions. I have a spare pair of each of those as well. My RSM's new came with the small magnet version.

I glued the dust caps on tonight and they're fairly large...prob a little over 4" dia. All my clear poly mids have magnets of equal size, but the gray poly mid's magnet is a little shorter than the magnet on the clear ones.

i think a revisit to infinity 5" polycone mids would open some eyes (minds?). the polycone mids in the rsII are great, and certainly have a fan base. many would say preferred to the emim-equipped rsIIb. personally, i'm partial to the 5" IMG mid (902-4585) used in the reference series which is a stellar performer.

i've never understood why anyone would lust after polydomes. no matter how good they sounded back when, they are now shadows of their former selves that are guaranteed to only get worse, and eventually disintegrate. even the clear polycones have a shelf life, as the clear poly reacts to our ozone afflicted atmosphere. not sure about the gray poly, but the IMG cones are seemingly immune to atmospheric degradation. emim's while undoubtably high in cool factor, seem as temperamental as british sports cars.

I've got a black pair of RSMs in my storeroom and haven't used them for a decade or more. I almost walked by them at a landfill shop thinking they were white van speakers. The cabinets are horrible, and I can't have them in my house. I re-rolled the woofers and they sounded damn fine but I couldn't stand the looks. I only have one grille too.
The trouble is, the cabinets on the black ones is MDF with black vinyl on top and there's really nothing I could do. The timber veneered ones are much better looking.
I have often considered simply parting them out to help other people but it's always a shame to part out functioning examples isn't it?

I've got a black pair of RSMs in my storeroom and haven't used them for a decade or more. I almost walked by them at a landfill shop thinking they were white van speakers. The cabinets are horrible, and I can't have them in my house. I re-rolled the woofers and they sounded damn fine but I couldn't stand the looks. I only have one grille too.
The trouble is, the cabinets on the black ones is MDF with black vinyl on top and there's really nothing I could do. The timber veneered ones are much better looking.
I have often considered simply parting them out to help other people but it's always a shame to part out functioning examples isn't it?

Are your RSM's mirror imaged?
E-Man, another AK'er from down under has a mirror image pair. It seems mirror image pairs were not sold in the USA. USA sold RSM's have the drivers going towards their right side. The cabinets E-Man has are also different from USA versions.
Experts, If I'm wrong please correct me.

So what, besides L100's, would've been competing with the RSM's to win a spot in swanky bachelor pads and shag carpet festooned dens back when these were in production?

So what, besides L100's, would've been competing with the RSM's to win a spot in swanky bachelor pads and shag carpet festooned dens back when these were in production?

That's an interesting question. The stereo store where I bought my 1.5 sold a few other brand's speakers that I don't remember because they didn't stand up to the Infinity. It was easy to be quick to eliminate the other candidates. I remember they sold a full line of Kenwood electronics because I was considering a few of the components for the system. They were a beginning Adcom dealer and I ended up buying their first amp and preamp to power the 1.5. It was a great, powerful combination.

I spent a lot of time in that store, sometimes with friends. We were a bunch of barely adults with new hopes, new jobs and no important responsibilities. The components I chose were on layaway with weekly payments. It was a lot of fun to go in there and play music through the stuff I was waiting to take home.

I remember a day back then in a nearby rival stereo store with a large variety of floor speakers made by a variety of familiar and slightly up scale brands. I can't recall the brands because of how unimpressive they were. I was spoiled and it seemed nothing measured up. I stood in the back of the room while a salesman demoed most of them to a young couple wanting a decent system in their new home. Nothing I heard that day was as impressive as the similar Infinity at the other store. It was like that, seemed everywhere we went to sample stereo hardware through much of the 1980s, including some of the more upscale stereo stores. Infinity was a high value presence wherever we saw them. I think they managed a jump on other manufacturers with superior speakers receiving very good exposure in relatively common stereo stores. The nearly unbeatable performance value was one of the big reasons they developed so great a reputation in the 1980s. They simply outperformed most of the similar speakers that sat next to them in the stores... and they were a better value when they cost more.

Yeah, since about 1981. :no:

If the RSM had Watkins woofers in them they would be RS 1.5. :bigok:

Your wording left me a little confused, but a third read of the post and I can see you knew this. Sorry 'bout that!

And I'd never even known of the 1.5's until you mentioned them and later took a look at the Klaus' Infinity Classics site. Those are very cool and you definitely don't see those around much these days. Don't think I've ever seen a set on AK. :scratch2:

That's an interesting question. The stereo store where I bought my 1.5 sold a few other brand's speakers that I don't remember because they didn't stand up to the Infinity. It was easy to be quick to eliminate the other candidates. I remember they sold a full line of Kenwood electronics because I was considering a few of the components for the system. They were a beginning Adcom dealer and I ended up buying their first amp and preamp to power the 1.5. It was a great, powerful combination.

I spent a lot of time in that store, sometimes with friends. We were a bunch of barely adults with new hopes, new jobs and no important responsibilities. The components I chose were on layaway with weekly payments. It was a lot of fun to go in there and play music through the stuff I was waiting to take home.

I remember a day back then in a nearby rival stereo store with a large variety of floor speakers made by a variety of familiar and slightly up scale brands. I can't recall the brands because of how unimpressive they were. I was spoiled and it seemed nothing measured up. I stood in the back of the room while a salesman demoed most of them to a young couple wanting a decent system in their new home. Nothing I heard that day was as impressive as the similar Infinity at the other store. It was like that, seemed everywhere we went to sample stereo hardware through much of the 1980s, including some of the more upscale stereo stores. Infinity was a high value presence wherever we saw them. I think they managed a jump on other manufacturers with superior speakers receiving very good exposure in relatively common stereo stores. The nearly unbeatable performance value was one of the big reasons they developed so great a reputation in the 1980s. They simply outperformed most of the similar speakers that sat next to them in the stores... and they were a better value when they cost more.

Cool story. :thmbsp:

I picked up a pair of Marantz HD 66 speakers last year.
I think they are comparable to the RSM's as they were from the same era, 3 way design and close in size, and I think the pricing was fairly close when new.
I refoamed them, refinished them, gave them a few days listening but never played with positioning to really try to make them sing. At the time I was impressed with the Marantz' top end but it was lacking in the bottom end compared to the RSM.

Cool story. :thmbsp:

It certainly wasn't that we didn't find other excellent speakers while we ran around getting cheap thrills from stereo equipment back then. We went into the upscale stereo stores and the salesmen scoffed at Infinity when we mentioned the brand. Then they showed us awesome speakers that cost much more than a decent set of Infinity.

In the 1990s more modern high tech and sophisticated engineering went into speaker designs that caused a shift in value considerations. It's been mentioned more than once but a good example of that with Arnie Nudell is the differences in the speakers he helped produce between Infinity and Genesis Tech. 1980s Infinity was generally more high value with lower engineering and construction values relative to other more prestigious manufacturers' speakers. But they were better than similar speakers with similar pricing and the momentum they achieved with common consumers drove interest in their entire line. When Arnie hooked up with Paul McGowan in the 1990s they produced excellent speakers with prices that reflected the additional engineering and higher construction values. I don't know for certain but I expect they sold a lot fewer speakers than Infinity. You don't see nearly as many Genesis Tech speakers in the used market. Infinity was a great common man's speaker company with awesome upscale models. Genesis Technologies was more upscale but had some models that fit a more common market.

I'm just saying that Infinity had the right design, marketing, and was in the right places at the right times during most of the 1980s. I thought that was important to include in the story.

Back
Top Bottom