sx880 890 filter caps

john stumpf

any of you guys gotta a sound recommendation for filter caps for this unit? just got off mouser site and couldnt find anything that looked like it would fit well,the damn things are right next to each other.

These sparse posts cause me a LOT of time consuming digging, to just START.

original diameter? original length? capacitance? Voltage?

mount type? : pcb, clamp etc

connection type? wire wrap, solder posts? screws?

even a picture would have helped.

Yep. Just solder ring or spade terminals to the snap-in pins of the new caps so you'll have extra space to wire things up on.

Yep. Just solder ring or spade terminals to the snap-in pins of the new caps so you'll have extra space to wire things up on.

Something like this:

http://uk.farnell.com/ettinger/19-05-745/solder-eyelet-3x-angled-id-4-3mm/dp/1336213

or two of these per terminal:

http://uk.farnell.com/jsp/search/productdetail.jsp?SKU=1336207&MER=bn-me-pd-r3-cust-all-3

I like that this thread came up since I have a minty 880 that I would like to rebuild and I just bought a minty 890 that I would like to rebuild and take to the office.

I don't like seeing the end of life symbol to so many panasonic capacitors though.

Last edited:
Something like this.

I don't like seeing the end of life symbol to so many panasonic capacitors though.

Those could work, but the mounting hole looks a bit too big. A spade terminal crimped and soldered to the snap-pins would

A. Extend the leads like in the originals

B. Provide two prongs per lead like in the originals.

C. Might even be on hand or locally sourced and not need a special order.

As to the end of life, Panasonic will just be discontinuing production of that series (I think in 2015), so for new designs you wouldn't select them as a major manufacturer. The caps themselves will be fine, and by the time they would next need replacement, none of the current offerings will likely be in production anyway.

I didn't look at the datasheet for the 4 pin versions recently linked, but typically, two of the four pins are just for mechanical stability in circuit boards, and not electrically attached. Since these are going to be clamp mounted, the extra two pins on each cap would just get in the way of the wiring and need to be snipped or bent out of the way.

Edit: looking at the datasheet, on the 4pin version, the extra two are indeed just for mechanical stability. They do make a 5pin version in which there are 2(+) and 2(-) pins, plus one extra non-connected pin for mechanical stability.

Last edited:
Can someone post a pic of the connection terminals of the main filter caps? Black should be negative, but it is worn off. Want to make sure I am hooking up the new cap correctly. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom