2010 Slowing losing a channel

Emmbee

My 2010 has been losing a channel. It will drop out but come back temporarily if I turn the volume way up. Replace relay? Recap power board?

Interesting question. I have a similar problem with my A-1. Sometimes a channel (L) isn't there when I switch the amp on. Switching the speakers off and on again with the "SPEAKER" button helps the channel to come back. So I guess it's eIther my speaker switch, or the relay behind. It's definitely not the volume pot. But I didn't have the time yet to open the amp and look more precisely.

Did you clean ALL the pots, speaker switches and so on? Sometimes a dirty contact can cause this behavior.

Possible cause/solution. (common issue on some).
Interconnect/Separate switch in the back.
Clean it.

Cleaned interconnect switch. So far so good. I had had it in Class A mode for hours when it started to happen the first time. Keeping it in AB for now. Thinking of getting a fan.

This is a classic "problem" on those Yamaha components (after a couple/a few decades). I thought my CR-2020 had real issues but per Merrylander's advice, cleaning the back-apron "separate but equal" switch :) feexed it.

Yes, the amp/preamp interconnect switch is often the weak link in the 1010 and 2010 amps. I also have found that the Mute switch and the Input selector to be candidates for cleaning.

Years ago, I bought a 2010 that was sold to me as working perfectly...it arrived with no output, but the relay was clicking on start-up just fine. Cleaned all three of the above noted and the amp sounded like it was new. :music:

To the poster above about the A-1: despite many attempts to correct a weak channel on a couple of A-1s, I finally isolated both to one channel on the Volume control. I had a donor pot from a dead amp. Replaced the Volume pot, Deoxit applied and cleaned, and no problem after that.

About every five years I find I need to clean the switches and pots on the Yamaha troupe here. This is a strictly empirical, anecdotal (i.e., not objective nor scientific) observation, but I have the impression that the Yamaha controls seem to be a little more sensitive to oxidation/dirt than other brands'.

When I had a CA-1000, it was about every 6 months for a re-clean. Hard to believe that with all the high end components in the amps that Yamaha used a relatively low-grade switch at a critical point in the signal path. OTOH, my CA-810 has jumpers at the Pre-In Main-Out interconnects, and I've never had a problem there :)

About every five years I find I need to clean the switches and pots on the Yamaha troupe here. This is a strictly empirical, anecdotal (i.e., not objective nor scientific) observation, but I have the impression that the Yamaha controls seem to be a little more sensitive to oxidation/dirt than other brands'.

Thanks wajobu for your suggestions for my A-1. I will keep it in mind when I open it up. Right now the problem is absent… a few weeks ago it happened more often. Strange.

My 2010 has been losing a channel. It will drop out but come back temporarily if I turn the volume way up. Replace relay? Recap power board?

I had the same issue and symptoms with my 2010. The fix in this case was more involved than simple switch cleaning. Maybe it's caused by running it in class a over enough years. Reflowing the amp board solder joints permanently fixed my amp.The clue was when I touched one of the resistors and it almost fell out ;-).

If you're ambitious and haven't recapped it, I saved a cap list on a recap thread I created. Avionic has a drop in relay which I added to the spreadsheet.

But of course you might get by for some time before having to do a deep fix.

I'd love the cap list if you get the chance. To start, both main power caps show a little bulge on top.

Back
Top Bottom