Pair of MC75's

jlovda

Things I loved from the 60's and 70's
Subscriber
Look at 201394699890 on the bay. It's not me. I wish I had the money.

The 64th Mac75 made, very early production indeed!
Edit: Sorry, wrong listing.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
:scratch2::Dconsoling myself listening to David Grisman and Jerry Garcia on my MC 60s. If i had the coin, I'd be seriously considering these,

Not to disparage but two pairs of MC 60s in much nicer condition sold for very similar money recently on that site and it is generally a better regarded unit than the MC 75 as Tony mentioned.

252019980035 & 321768158701

:DI wasn't considering dumping mine. The 75s more of a pipe dream (I'm sure as Mac collectors you understand) . Sort of like trying out a new ice cream flavor.

Friend of mine has a pair with consecutive serials bought new in Binghamton. Nice amps easy enuff to service.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Not to disparage but two pairs of MC 60s in much nicer condition sold for very similar money recently on that site and it is generally a better regarded unit than the MC 75 as Tony mentioned.

252019980035 & 321768158701

I agree, when you look at the entire Mc amplifier family at the time, seems the Mc-75 & Mc-40 versions are a weak offer at the time. I would rate the Mc-30 and Mc-60 in a higher regard for performance over the Mc-40 & Mc-75

The power ratings are more or less a push when comparing the Mc-40 to the Mc-30 and same for the Mc-75 to the Mc-60.

Not to mention the Mc-225, 240 & 275 were the popular choice, same power in one package, and also the option for a bridge to mono, my current Mc-225 set up. I think a little better topology vs the Mc-40 & Mc-75

I wasn't going to buy them but the more and closer I look at the pictures the less desirable they become. :thumbsdn:

MC 30/60 were a slightly earlier generation and the only McIntosh tube amplifiers that use rectifier tubes so that probably plays a part in their desirability over the MC40/75.

MC 30/60 were a slightly earlier generation and the only McIntosh tube amplifiers that use rectifier tubes so that probably plays a part in their desirability over the MC40/75.
Rectifier tubes are desirable? I would have been neat to see my MC2125 with a pair of 5U4's glowing in back. :D

Rectifier tubes are desirable? I would have been neat to see my MC2125 with a pair of 5U4's glowing in back. :D

A hybrid!

As a side note - in the Clinics book, DOB mentions a pair of MC60 a customer brought in. They were in perfect operating and cosmetic condition but he decided make them a bit better by replacing the 5U4s to make them get an extra 3 - 4 watts each.

He threw the old ones in the garbage can but didn't smash them first as usual. The owner who was a multimillionaire said oh, those are still good. I should keep them and he picked them out of the garbage and stuffed them in the pockets of his expensive suit.

Back
Top Bottom