McIntosh MAC 1700 Speaker Recommendation

corpblues

AK Member
I've been trying out my existing speakers with my McIntosh MAC 1700 but looking for an upgrade. I listen to a lot classic rock, jazz such as Miles Davis, and older vocal jazz singers such as Sinatra/Holiday.

Anyone have a speaker recommendation to match with my McIntosh MAC 1700?

The MAC 1700 is rated at 40 watts but sure seems higher.

Speakers that I currently have.
- Altec Model 9 (refoamed) - My favorite speakers, but missing some on the high end. They sound best and come alive when the volume is cranked up a bit. For low volume listening I tend to stack them with another pair to add more in the highs.
- Klipsch KG2 (4 ohms) - Sound nice and very clear, but sound like the smaller speakers which they are.
- Boston Acoustics HD7 (refoamed and replaced twitters) - Also sounds good for a small bookshelf but also sound like small format speakers.
- Original Large Advents which that I haven't tried out on this receiver yet, but don't think they are it either.

I've been looking around for the JBL L-100 which were recommended by someone. My searching has found they command a premium on ebay.

Last edited:
If you like the Lansing sound, the L-100's are a fine choice for the 1700 as they are very efficient. Personally, I love the Mac/JBL duo. For many years I used a pair of JBL 4311's with my 1700. These are the commercial version as well as the predecessor of the L-100. In most cases they can be found for less cost than the L-100's, but provide the same sonics. Research the vintage JBL website for complete specs & comparisons.

Currently, I've got a pair of L-166's paired with my 1700, which sounds great.
Don't expect to find any deals on those though. They seem to be at a premium these days.

You are correct about the wattage on your 1700. Although rated at 40w/ch, my unit was always good for 62w/ch when tested at the Mac clinics. Any hi efficiency speaker should work well with your receiver.

92 db efficient/1 watt/1 meter. I like my McIntosh MA 5100 well with the Klipsch Chorus and with the Dynaco A 25 speakers. The JBL 4311B is a great choice as well. I like the Altec Lansing 14 or 18 well too with a MAC 1700.

As the MAC 1700 is conservatively rated 40 wpc but is realistically closer to 60+ wpc, thereore lot of speakers will "work" just fine with the MAC - including the JBLs.

The question is will they "work" for your ears.

FWIW - a quick search turned up relatively little discussion about this particular model JBL loudspeaker so if I had to guess, it's probably nothing spectacular. Then again, I could be dead wrong.

Any speaker over 98 db sensitivity would be where I would start. From early Altec Carmels and Valencias, Klipsch Cornwalls and if you have 2 corners, Klipschorns of course. Big two way and three way JBL and EV's such as Model 6 or Georgian would work well, too. But my Favorite would be a system Based on the Altec 604 E, G, K or L. There's a new Alnico version from Great Plains Audio. Some of the big older Tannoys are quite excellent, too. In smaller rooms, Bozak 305's, 4005's, and 4000 Contemporary Symphonys with Y tweeters or Symphony's with Z tweeters. would be a good choice My Symphonies are strong with 2 watts. 97 db at 4 ft and I rarely go over 20 watts. So your 50 watts would be more than ample with a 12 ft listening distance.

Speakers with less than 93 db sensitivity would be marginal. Some PMC, and older B&W might just sneak by. 1700 has a nice sound. I enjoyed them with B&O 5700 and 5702 in smaller rooms. As they used Celestion drivers you might find some of their models might work, too. Some of Klipsch's model speakers of smaller dimensions might work, too. Chorus, Forte and Hersey come to mind. Belle and La Scala would work, too, but I don't recommend them because of lack of bass below 50 HZ. You'll get great sound, you just won't be able to blow any walls down with less efficient speakers.

I spent almost 10 years using a MA 230 and then a C-22 and 240, with Altec and Bozak speakers and was very Happy at a 15 ft listening distance.

I'd place the sensitivity cutoff a bit lower - perhaps 89 dB perhaps but no lower and still have sufficient headroom. Of course, that also depends on how loud you listen and room size.

In an average sized room, I've found 40 wpc w/ 90 dB speakers more than ample. :D YMMV.

Thanks to all for your recommendations. I was being tempted by quality speakers that did not truly fit my requirements. Your advice has guided me back to the proper efficient vintage speaker direction.

Looks like I am going to have to up my budget. :D

Also, efficient tube amp friendly speakers shine with the MAC 1700 as the receiver is lower damping factor and simpler circuitry. Which is why my recommendations.

Also, efficient tube amp friendly speakers shine with the MAC 1700 as the receiver is lower damping factor and simpler circuitry. Which is why my recommendations.

KentTeffeteller,

I located a pair of JBL L100's at a fair price. I am about to pull the trigger on them. What is your opinion on them for my application?

Home version of the JBL 4311B and excellent with a MAC 1700, I can recommend this combination. Efficient, good sounding, accurate.

Have been unable to successfully find a pair of speakers yet.

Currently considering a pair of very clean JBL 4312 Studio Monitors for a fair but not low price.

I notice from the pictures sent this pair does not appear to have the titanium or metal tweeters, but rather appear to be cones that many of the 4311 and 4312 have when I look at similar speakers sold on ebay. Is that a red flag to not buy them?

Their are so many versions of JBL 43xx speakers that I'm unclear.

Opinions on the potential match?

Last edited:
JBL 4311b, Dynaco A 25, AR 4x, Klipsch Klipschorn, Cornwall, Belle, Heresy, Forte, Chorus, KG4, Quartet, EPI T/E 70, Boston Acoustics A 40 and A 70, The Advent Loudspeaker.

My 1700 and New Large Advents were meant to be. You'll pay more for the a Advents then you will Polk 7's which are a great match too. The Yamaha NS-690 sound great too but a little inefficient. I have a pair of JBL 4312A in my main system. I should try them with the 1700 just for the hell of it.

My 1700 and New Large Advents were meant to be. You'll pay more for the a Advents then you will Polk 7's which are a great match too. The Yamaha NS-690 sound great too but a little inefficient. I have a pair of JBL 4312A in my main system. I should try them with the 1700 just for the hell of it.

Tuffstuff1,

I have a pair of Original Large Advents that I hooked up last night, not expecting much, but I was surprised they sound nice. My estate sale OLA advents are in great shape, so I think they were refoamed by someone in the past. I noticed last night they were leaking air around the woofer frame due to someone putting some type of putty uneven between the woofer the speaker box. I cleaned that up and it tightened up the sound.

Last night I a/b compared my Altec Model 9's to the OLA's. The model 9's are awesome for my vintage rock but the OLA were better for jazz and vocals. Guess I'm looking for something that sounds great for all types of music. I was thinking of selling both the model 9's and OLA's to pay for JBL's, but it is going to take the JBL's wowing me to part with either.

I would be very interested in hearing your option of the 4312's with the MAC 1700, as I am headed to spend some money on a pair this weekend.

Well I almost bought a pair of JBL's 4312's and a pair of JBL L100S's this week. I had to unexpected spend some money on home repairs and as both speaker were top dollar and neither mint, decided to not stretch for them.

For the past few days I've been listening to a pair of OLA's and they are really growing on me the more I listen. Had them in my office and finally pulled them into the living room and connected to the MAC 1700. All I have to say is sweet! If either of the JBL's I was going after are better, they must sound really, really good. This hobby is the never ending hunt, but I guess that is where the fun is.

Oh, picked up a Dual 1219 today for the price of a lunch. After a little elbow grease the TT is working perfectly. Nice side benefit as a result for my hunt for the perfect speakers.

IMAG1962_zps1pntokkv.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom