Does anyone in New Enlgand have a MEN220 I can audition?

Dmitry

Jazz Freak
I'm intrigued by this gadget, and would love to hear it in one of your systems. I'm in RI. If anyone in New England is willing to have me over for a listening session of your MEn220, I'd be very grateful.
Many thanks!

Room Perfect works great, especially with listening area issues There is a guy on audiogon sends ou a TDAI Lyngdorf to trial use in your system . If you like pay him 4K and he ships you out a new one. If you need MCintosh brand in your rack visit Audio Classics.

I saved 2400 dollars compared to MEN220 and bought a used lyngdorf TDAI2200. They are amazing as a preamp also replaces DAC. I use amp to drive outdoor speakers.

Room Perfect works great, especially with listening area issues There is a guy on audiogon sends ou a TDAI Lyngdorf to trial use in your system . If you like pay him 4K and he ships you out a new one. If you need MCintosh brand in your rack visit Audio Classics.

I saved 2400 dollars compared to MEN220 and bought a used lyngdorf TDAI2200. They are amazing as a preamp also replaces DAC. I use amp to drive outdoor speakers.

Excellent!
From what I've read, Lyngdorf and MEN220 Room Perfect functions are identical, with exception of some other extra capabilities with the Mac.
I just wish the costs for these units were lower, although as I undertand, the RP calibration tool is outstanding. How much did you pay for your used Lyngdorf? What are your impressions of what it does?

Excellent!
From what I've read, Lyngdorf and MEN220 Room Perfect functions are identical, with exception of some other extra capabilities with the Mac.
I just wish the costs for these units were lower, although as I undertand, the RP calibration tool is outstanding. How much did you pay for your used Lyngdorf? What are your impressions of what it does?

The MEN220 features Lyngdorf's Room Perfect, its not McIntosh's "version" so to speak.
The MEN is more than just Room Perfect, it is also a stereo 2 way active crossover and it has a parametric eq as well which you can use for preset EQ curves.
I use all of its features, and I find it to be a very valuable tool in my system. I think the comment about saving money and buying a lyngdorf TDAI2200 is not exactly true in all cases, it wouldn't suit my system because I already have a Pre-amp, I already have a DAC, I wanted EQ, Room Perfect, and a Stereo two way crossover, and if you are handing over 4K for the Lyngdorf, then its not that much cheaper, and certainly if you buy a lightly used MEN like I did, I got mine in brand new condition for $3500, and I mean brand new, not a mark on it, and with all the accessories and original packaging.
I like the way the MEN covers my system "drive" requirements. Its a great package and a powerful tool.

If you are using it with a newer Quad balanced McIntosh amplifier and you are buying second hand, make sure it has had the balancing mod, ask Audio Classics about it.

I like my MEN its not going anywhere....:thmbsp:
Piu1hE.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I bought a used TDAI2200 for 1650 dollars. Mcintosh licenses the technology from lyngdorf. The RP-1 ann MEN220 are feature identical with active crossovers. There is a voicing tool for lyngdorf a user wrote from Mcintosh. The lyngdorf site has about 24 curves you can get in the support section. You can also get a used DPA-1 to do the same thing preamp wise.
As for DAC built in you can leave outputs as digital and use your own DAC with all room accoustic optimization and equalization and preamping performed on digital realm. I have a better DAC and it further enhances soundstage and imaging so I use that for the final D To A. The lyngdorf does super A to D coversion. Dynamic range on lyngdorf is beyond incredible as is zero noise floor. Be sure to upgrade software from support site. If you do not want to use DAC or pre functions on a TDAI you can set it to work like a RP-1 or MEN 220. The TDAI also does HT pass through for L and R. Very versatile and Rock Solid Equipment. So if you want to save dollars find a used Lyngdorf.

The lyngdorf was the best single upgrade I ever made. It amazes me how it gives life to a poor source and turns a great source into a live performance with imaging and soundstage. Say goodbye to hiss or preamp hum and hello to black quiet passages. If your speakers are capable sharp drums and crashing cymbals, incredible brass, strings, natural bass and in the room voices. I still use my MC Amp but the Lyngdorf is no slouch and sounds great for my pool system which has a separate sub.

Last edited:
I also would love to here the MEN220. I'm thinking about holding off on upgrading to the C50 and getting a MEN220 first.

I also would love to here the MEN220. I'm thinking about holding off on upgrading to the C50 and getting a MEN220 first.

I don't think there would be much if any audible difference between a C48 and a C50, so I cant imagine apart from a few more EQ bands and the meters, that it would be worth the money.
However, I have a C48 with a MEN220 and the package together is very flexible and powerful, I thought for a while I should have bought a better spec pre-amp, but the C48 has enough inputs and facilities, and I have meters on my MC452, so I believe I am set, and the MEN with the active crossover and room perfect is great and my system has never sounded better. I have a couple of custom curves but I hardly ever use them because my system is so nicely dialed in.....
I'd get the MEN...

Audio Classics is a really good idea, I was there couple of years ago and was able to listen to an MA2275 through Klipschorns Audio Classics had there. They might still have the Klipschorns. Plus a potential McIntosh tour is always a bonus. Give Audio Classics a call.

Joe

Audio Classics is a really good idea, I was there couple of years ago and was able to listen to an MA2275 through Klipschorns Audio Classics had there. They might still have the Klipschorns. Plus a potential McIntosh tour is always a bonus. Give Audio Classics a call.

Joe

Not only did I give them a call, but I bought the only MEN220 unit they had in stock. Scheduled to arrive on Wednesday. I hope it's good!:D

Not only did I give them a call, but I bought the only MEN220 unit they had in stock. Scheduled to arrive on Wednesday. I hope it's good!:D

Great stuff man, congrats.....:thmbsp:

Let us know how you get on with it. I am around and happy to help if you get stuck or you're not sure....

I have great results with mine, so looking forward to see how your experience pans out...

Nice! Congrats on the purchase!

The MEN220 is the next item on my list; so I look forward to hearing your impressions!

Thanks for your congratulatory posts, lads.
The unit is here, I haven't opened the box yet, reading the MEN220 manual now.
kevzep, I will be picking your brains regarding the set-up. I've read your posts on the subject, looks like you've got it all set-up.
I will post a scaled drawing of my listening room [which is not perfect in the least], perhaps you can help my with the microphone placement.

A few simple rules. First measurement in focus position where you plan to sit and listen. Microphone at your seated ear level. The other measurements must be random. Microphone can point in any direction or height. The further apart from others the better. Just do not get closer than a foot to wall or ceiling. Or closer than three feet to the speaker. Keep measuring until Room Knowledge is 100 percent. Then use other listening positions in room for the other Focus positions. This esures the best Global sound for all intended listeners. The machine really does all the rest.

You can choose equAlization curves and order. I still prefer neutral versus coloration. But it is there for a less than perfect recording. The neutral does have some bass gain that a room would be expected to see. It is not completely flat. There are curves to fix about any source issue. The treble open or open air are too much using my line array speaker set up with 72 tweeters. The bass selection which add 1, 2, 3, or 6 dB are still less gain than bypass mode for me also since I have 8 12 inch woofers.

You of course will have different preferences. People like speakers are all unique.

Last edited:
Thanks, Velocityboat.
Just finished reading the manual. Re:RP microphone placement... I have read somewhere that pointing the mic at the speakers is a no-no after the Focus 1 measurement. Manual doesn't mention it. Manual section on the RP could be written and illustrated a lot better IMHO. Will start the setup tonight, when it quiets down outside and inside the house.

Thanks, Velocityboat.
Just finished reading the manual. Re:RP microphone placement... I have read somewhere that pointing the mic at the speakers is a no-no after the Focus 1 measurement. Manual doesn't mention it. Manual section on the RP could be written and illustrated a lot better IMHO. Will start the setup tonight, when it quiets down outside and inside the house.

If I may add some more information from my experience with the MEN.

Yes the first position is your listening position.

All measurements must be taken from the rear 1/3 of your room, and yes, although the microphone is omnidirectional, it does work best pointed away from the speaker system, this way you get more "room" sound which is what you're after for Room Perfect to be able to tune the room.
Keep it at least a foot away from walls, corners, floors and ceilings.

You do not have to get to 100% room knowledge to complete your measurements.
I have found that if you go straight to 100% then Room Perfect may apply too much EQ to the system, it really depends on your room and how live it is.
The best way I have found to work it, is to get to 90% room knowledge, then stop and take a listen, bypass it, listen, drop Room Perfect back in and listen.
Then you can decide if you need to add more measurements.
You can add measurements at any time or add listening positions at any time.

My room is pretty good, so the end result for me works best with 98% room knowledge. Room Correction percentage is 9% in global 12% in focus.
You can check this in Room Perfect Status.

The point of global and focus? Global is to use when you are not sitting in your listening position or you may have friends over or your working in the kitchen or something, so there is less EQ applied.
Focus is for when you are sitting in the Focus listening position, theres more EQ on the system in this instance.

To be honest, I prefer using Global all the time, occasionally I might use Focus for some critical listening, but most of the time Global works for me.

For the voicing functions, I cannot see that there is any EQ on neutral voicing, its flat on my analyzer, so I am not sure what that's all about. Its definitely not applying any EQ in my system.

You can connect your computer to the MEN and create your own EQ curves.
Its really easy to use, you just download the MEN Voicing tool, you need Windows 7 (I have Windows parallel on my macbook) and a serial port, I use a USB>Serial converter.
Then you can connect to the MEN and make your own curves. Its a 6 band parametric EQ, its a bit disappointing that its a "cut only" EQ, but still I have a few curves in there for certain albums and such.

Let us know how you get on with the MEN....:thmbsp:

The pointing at speaker not a issue with distance. However i did lots of random pointing. If you move furniture or have more people in the room accoustics are affected. Unless background noise is constant like a dishwasher or dryer it is not an issue to have loud noises or some talking. According to Lyndorf. I need to recal mine again since wife moved some furniture and keeps pushing around my 300 lb speaker to clean the floor. Calibration goes fast. Early versions said 90 To 95 percent room knowledge was good. Lyngdorf now recommends 100 percent.

The pointing at speaker not a issue with distance. However i did lots of random pointing. If you move furniture or have more people in the room accoustics are affected. Unless background noise is constant like a dishwasher or dryer it is not an issue to have loud noises or some talking. According to Lyndorf. I need to recal mine again since wife moved some furniture and keeps pushing around my 300 lb speaker to clean the floor. Calibration goes fast. Early versions said 90 To 95 percent room knowledge was good. Lyngdorf now recommends 100 percent.

I prefer what my ears tell me, I dont like more EQ on my system than is necessary, the progressive measurement technique is the most logical, why go straight to 100%? Tuning systems is a fine art, and it can easily be overdone.
Stopping for an assessment at 90% is going to give you the best results, you might prefer the result before you get to 100% as was the case with my system.

I'm an audio engineer, I set up large concert sound systems, I spend a lot of my life tuning systems in all kinds of situations, the progressive approach is the way to go.
As I stated before, the idea behind pointing the mic at random and away from the speakers, gives you a better "room" sample. The polar pattern of the microphone is supposed to be omnidirectional, the reality is a little different, unless you have a $4000 B&K mic like I use for tuning. The MEN mic is a cheapie, its fine for domestic use, and it probably has quite good response on axis but it will lose its response as you get to the extremes of its polar pattern, this is why it needs to pointed at the "room" and not the "source".

Personally I don't want 100% room knowledge, I dont want "maximum" effect, its too much.

Its a very individual preference though. Lyndorf may say 100% is the recommendation, and it will be to get maximum effect form Room Perfect, but as stated, some people may not want that much EQ on their system. I know I don't because it doesn't need it.

Progressive measurements.

I have run through the setup process at least half a dozen times fine tuning the method which works best for my system and my ears, I use my analysis equipment as well so I can see what Room Perfect is doing, and the end result is really quite spectacular as minimal as it is.

Back
Top Bottom