The new gear ... The Full Report ...

damacman

Resident Psycho
Well, after living with the Altecs (in my sig) as my main speakers since 1994 they have been parked in another room since I took delivery of the XRT22s. The Altecs are among the very finest speakers I've heard and I'm privileged to have owned them so long. I'll never part with them. As good as they are, the XRT22s produce a soundstage that few speakers can match. It's addicting.

As any horn loaded speaker fan will tell you, a properly set up horn speaker can reproduce vocals with a full, startling accuracy. The Altecs beat the XRT22s in this area - but the XRT22s put the singer up about two feet higher which adds to their allure. Now in all fairness, I have not listened to the Altecs since I acquired the C100 so I'm sure they'll be even more spectacular.

Which brings me to the C100. Mike Gibson, Dan - you guys have been absolutely spoiled. This is one very fine preamp - in form, function, and sound. I'm so glad I was able to find one. Now some of you know that I have a most unusual CDP - a Pioneer PD-T07. It's a long story how I acquired it but I've had it about 20 years. D/A technology has certainly progressed since then but its internal DAC is very special and it has always given my very best vinyl a run for the money. Interestingly enough, I've always understood it to be a fully balanced design but have never been able to use its XLR outs - until now. I recently bought Kimber PBJ XLR cables for it as well as to my MC2600. The results are simply stunning. This C100 is THE DEAL!

I looked for a VERY long time for the MC2600, the XRT22s, and the C100. Patience is definitely a virtue and the stuff you may want IS out there if you look hard enough. It's incredibly satisfying to have been able to put it all together.

Congratulations!!!
I'd love to audition the XRT22. I bet you'll really enjoy your new setup.
Looking forward to your write-up on the sound of it all.

Congrats.

That's a fine system you have.

A glass of wine, a nice track and enjoy :music:

Sounds like you're all set for a good long time Tony.

I can appreciate the differences between the horns and the XRT22. Each has their own distinct flavor but it a good way.

I've been reading about McIntosh line array speakers of this generation: The top and bottom four tweeters are set down several dB from those in the middle of the column.

In any case, it sounds like you've got a first class McIntosh system that would be difficult to improve upon without spending some serious $$$. Other than perhaps an MEN 220 in your future? :D

Sounds like you're all set for a good long time Tony.

I can appreciate the differences between the horns and the XRT22. Each has their own distinct flavor but it a good way.

I've been reading about McIntosh line array speakers of this generation: The top and bottom four tweeters are set down several dB from those in the middle of the column.

In any case, it sounds like you've got a first class McIntosh system that would be difficult to improve upon without spending some serious $$$. Other than perhaps an MEN 220 in your future? :D

I would be interested in how the middle tweeters are set up a few dB. On the XRT20 there are series parallel connections of the tweeters. Therefore the impedance difference of tweeters in series in the middle must allow them to play louder. Must be why my inverted XR19 in the mix works well by adding more highs in the center.

I agree with Tony that the soundstage is addicting. Especially when it is late at night and just one more song leads to three more hours. My wife is always the one to say we have not heard this song or artist yet on these speakers. Then you are wowed again.

As for the MEN or Roomperfect. Occasionally there is something you wish to hit bypass on. The feeling of a live performance impact of the line array capabilities just climbs higher. I think the line array provides biggest impact with vocals, brass, strings especially acoustic.

He probably is getting plenty live performance impact from the C100. I would let it settle in until i felt a plateau and need for further sound exploration. That's why this hobby is great.

I would be interested in how the middle tweeters are set up a few dB. On the XRT20 there are series parallel connections of the tweeters. Therefore the impedance difference of tweeters in series in the middle must allow them to play louder. Must be why my inverted XR19 in the mix works well by adding more highs in the center.

Probably would need to consult a schematic to answer that.

The reason it was done had something to do with ceiling/floor reflections IIRC.

Well, after living with the Altecs (in my sig) as my main speakers since 1994 they have been parked in another room since I took delivery of the XRT22s. The Altecs are among the very finest speakers I've heard and I'm privileged to have owned them so long. I'll never part with them. As good as they are, the XRT22s produce a soundstage that few speakers can match. It's addicting.

As any horn loaded speaker fan will tell you, a properly set up horn speaker can reproduce vocals with a full, startling accuracy. The Altecs beat the XRT22s in this area - but the XRT22s put the singer up about two feet higher which adds to their allure. Now in all fairness, I have not listened to the Altecs since I acquired the C100 so I'm sure they'll be even more spectacular.

Which brings me to the C100. Mike Gibson, Dan - you guys have been absolutely spoiled. This is one very fine preamp - in form, function, and sound. I'm so glad I was able to find one. Now some of you know that I have a most unusual CDP - a Pioneer PD-T07. It's a long story how I acquired it but I've had it about 20 years. D/A technology has certainly progressed since then but its internal DAC is very special and it has always given my very best vinyl a run for the money. Interestingly enough, I've always understood it to be a fully balanced design but have never been able to use its XLR outs - until now. I recently bought Kimber PBJ XLR cables for it as well as to my MC2600. The results are simply stunning. This C100 is THE DEAL!

I looked for a VERY long time for the MC2600, the XRT22s, and the C100. Patience is definitely a virtue and the stuff you may want IS out there if you look hard enough. It's incredibly satisfying to have been able to put it all together.

Nice report Tony, I am so jealous of those XRT22's, I bet they are just the cats pajamas....:thmbsp:

Yep, I need to take a few pics for sure. Maybe I can snap a few this weekend.

kev - come on by for a listen!

Correction: The tweeters' outputs on the XRT 25 were varied as described earlier. Not on the XRT 22.

One of the acoustical engineers (not RR) had performed a similar alteration on the XRT 18 array (in house) based on some computer modeling but it was not actually produced that way.

Thanks.

Pictures!

Here they are. I've got two 100 lb shephards so keeping dust and hair tumbleweeds at bay is a full time job . . . that be Zeus in the pictures . . .

As you can see this is only about 1/3 of the whole room at which the kitchen is directly behind and the dining area to the right of the kitchen.

Attachments

• HT_Gilbert-4_med.jpg
    HT_Gilbert-4_med.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 144
  • HT_Gilbert-5_med.jpg
    HT_Gilbert-5_med.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 128
  • HT_Gilbert-6_med.jpg
    HT_Gilbert-6_med.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 183
  • HT_Gilbert-7_med.jpg
    HT_Gilbert-7_med.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 132
Last edited:
Pictures 2!

Here are some close ups of the MC2600, SL1300 MKII, Pioneer PD-T07, and Pioneer RT-909.

My Sears 8 track is presently on loan to a buddy with a studio.

Attachments

• HT_Gilbert-8_med.jpg
    HT_Gilbert-8_med.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 66
  • HT_Gilbert-9_med.jpg
    HT_Gilbert-9_med.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 64
  • HT_Gilbert-10_med.jpg
    HT_Gilbert-10_med.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 54
  • HT_Gilbert-11_med.jpg
    HT_Gilbert-11_med.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
A few days ago, the misses asked me to play some Neil Diamond for her. Yeah I know . . . but the guy has a pretty remarkable vocal range. His Duet with Barbara Streisand sounded just fantastic. Forever In Bluejeans is pretty epic with the meters approaching the 600 Watt marks . . . it was like we were at his show! I'll admit that I've played that song a few more times since and it just keeps getting better.

A few days ago, the misses asked me to play some Neil Diamond for her. Yeah I know . . . but the guy has a pretty remarkable vocal range. His Duet with Barbara Streisand sounded just fantastic. Forever In Bluejeans is pretty epic with the meters approaching the 600 Watt marks . . . it was like we were at his show! I'll admit that I've played that song a few more times since and it just keeps getting better.

Nice work Tony, I have some catching up to do by the looks of things.

I like the cabinet the gear is in, low profile and spread out, its a good look.

LOL! I had that cabinet custom built about ten years ago. It's held up very well.

For now I'm using the MC2105 for the surround speakers until I can find an MC7106 reasonably. The NAD 218THX runs the sub which is only used for movie watching or multi-channel audio.

A first class reference system you have there Tony. :thmbsp:

Not to presume but have you tried toing the columns inward or does it sound better with them straight?

Only reason I mention it is I always used to place speakers square as you have shown for aesthetic reasons but I found I obtained much better results by angling them inward. YMMV of course.

I have not tried that with the Mcs but would agree that the Altecs sounded better when toed in. The system sounds so good as is I've just not messed with it.

The woofer columns have some cheesy feet on them so that needs addressed for sure.

Here are some close ups of the MC2600, SL1300 MKII, Pioneer PD-T07, and Pioneer RT-909.

My Sears 8 track is presently on loan to a buddy with a studio.

My congratulation, looks absolut great! Are you happy with your MC 2600, this is one of the amps I am still looking for...

Best regards

Martin

She/He is a beauty..:yes:

attachment.php

Back
Top Bottom