Newbie - Has the Mac Bug

Siper1

After a few weeks, I'm seriously torn. I know I should like the Ascend Acoustic Sierra 1's (NRT Upgrade) but "I'm not loving them". I bought them and still have a few weeks left in the "evaluation period" (L/R/C Sierra 1 with NRT Upgrade + Rythmik 12 Servo Sub)

The Sierra's up to every review I've read. The soundstage is huge and would be fine without a subwoofer but I continuously feel that something is missing (musically) - (HT) TV & Movies are epic. I have an older Denon AVR 2016 and Sunfire TG-3 that I've tried and am wondering if it's those that are to blame. I'm using "top of the line" Yamaha 3-way's in the ceiling as surrounds - which could also be the issue ...

My room can equally be the issue (tile floors, glass doors on one side, open to the dining room, etc) ... With that said might a more directional speaker like the Mcintosh be a better choice than something with such a wide dispersion like the Ascends?

Honestly, the Ascends feel as if they are better made and dare I say better engineered than the Macs. With that said, I want to give them a chance to shine ... how do I do that? Or, should I just keep the Rhythmik Sub and build everything around the Mcintosh XR50's (buy a matching center (LCR-80) + vintage combination of Mcintosh gear? If I were to do the later I'd have $3K for power + processing ...

Again, HT the Ascends are awesome but I heard the XR50's + MC275 and fel in love. I can get the XR50's for $2000 which leaves $3-$4K for power + processing + center. (used is fine with me).

Again, HT the Ascends are awesome but I heard the XR50's + MC275 and fell in love. I can get the XR50's for $2000 which leaves $3-$4K for power + processing + center. (used is fine with me).
.....I think you've answered your own questions....you can't beat McIntosh, and I'm speaking specifically pre-amps and amps....ANY speaker will sound better being pushed by McIntosh....a power conditioner that honestly lowers the noise floor is a good thing also.....

.....I think you've answered your own questions....you can't beat McIntosh, and I'm speaking specifically pre-amps and amps....ANY speaker will sound better being pushed by McIntosh....a power conditioner that honestly lowers the noise floor is a good thing also.....

Aloha! Welcome to AK. What he said. ^^^^

Once you go Mac, you never go back. ;)

After a few weeks, I'm seriously torn. I know I should like the Ascend Acoustic Sierra 1's (NRT Upgrade) but "I'm not loving them". I bought them and still have a few weeks left in the "evaluation period" (L/R/C Sierra 1 with NRT Upgrade + Rythmik 12 Servo Sub)

The Sierra's up to every review I've read. The soundstage is huge and would be fine without a subwoofer but I continuously feel that something is missing (musically) - (HT) TV & Movies are epic. I have an older Denon AVR 2016 and Sunfire TG-3 that I've tried and am wondering if it's those that are to blame. I'm using "top of the line" Yamaha 3-way's in the ceiling as surrounds - which could also be the issue ...

My room can equally be the issue (tile floors, glass doors on one side, open to the dining room, etc) ... With that said might a more directional speaker like the Mcintosh be a better choice than something with such a wide dispersion like the Ascends?

Honestly, the Ascends feel as if they are better made and dare I say better engineered than the Macs. With that said, I want to give them a chance to shine ... how do I do that? Or, should I just keep the Rhythmik Sub and build everything around the Mcintosh XR50's (buy a matching center (LCR-80) + vintage combination of Mcintosh gear? If I were to do the later I'd have $3K for power + processing ...

Again, HT the Ascends are awesome but I heard the XR50's + MC275 and fel in love. I can get the XR50's for $2000 which leaves $3-$4K for power + processing + center. (used is fine with me).

I bought a pair of Ascend Acoustics CMT-340SE about two years ago, and I am very happy with them. I also have a pair of Focal 806V bookshelf on a pair of Focal stands. These are superb speakers. These are the only pair of speakers to give me a holographic 3D texture with solid state or tubes. Both of these are not going anywhere... yet. :thmbsp: :music:

Back
Top Bottom