MA6100 used as a preamp??

Greg Hyde

Greetings. After having used my MA6100 for many years to drive a moderately sized speaker set-up I have upgraded to larger speakers and now need more power to drive them. I have a original Hafler amp which I would like to integrate with my MA6100. On the back of my MA6100 as it stands now, both the "preamp" output and the "power amp" input are both jumped with 1 jumper bar each. Im a little hesitant to go messing around with it because I just had it repaired and its now in perfect working order. If anyone has advice on how to do the hookup I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks very much in advance

Simply remove the jumpers and connect a pair of RCA interconnect cables at the PREAMP OUT jacks and run to the input jacks of the power amplifier.

Nothing simpler.

That depends on whether or not you'd like retain use of the power amp built into the MA6100. When you remove the jumpers, effectively you have a preamp and a power amp. So, you could:

1. Simply not use the power amp in the MA6100 and connect nothing (or shorting plugs) to the AMP IN
2. Use an RCA Y-cord (dual MALE / single FEMALE) to connect the PREAMP OUT and AMP IN jacks together via the male ends while at the same time connecting an RCA cable to the female ends of the Y-cords to your Hafler amplifier. This allows you to use the internal amp in the MA6100 to drive some smaller speakers, etc.
3. Connect the PREAMP OUT to the input of an electronic crossover network. Connect the HIGH PASS OUTs from the electronic crossover network to the AMP IN jacks on the MA6100. Connect the LOW PASS OUTs from the crossover network to the Hafler. This configuration has the internal amplifier of the MA6100 amplifying high frequencies only and the Hafler amplifying low frequencies only. Then, you can use both amplifiers to power speakers with biamp input capabilities.

All simple stuff. Basically your MA6100 is a very flexible piece.

Which preamp inputs?

Or do you mean the main amp input? Maybe install a pair of RCA shorting plugs at those jacks.

Thank you very much. That's incredibly helpful. To mix things up even more I will be needing to ad a powered sub to the system. There is no cable output on either the Hafler nor the MA. I assume my options are to run the sub from speaker outputs although the Hafler has only one set of speaker outputs (which will be used for the main speakers.) In your description it seems that I could feed the sub from a couple of the speaker outputs on the MA...?? Or could I simply use RCA cables from the empty "power amp" outputs to get signal to the sub. It has its own 600W amp however. Not sure how that works exactly,,,
Thanks again :thmbsp:

Use single MALE dual FEMALE RCA y-cords. Connect the MALEs to the PREAMP OUTs on the MA6100. Connect a standard RCA cable to each the left and right outputs via the y-cords and on to the Hafler amp and subwoofer.

Back
Top Bottom