The official AK golf thread

cubdog

banging through drywall
Because I love golf and because it's winter where I live I thought I'd start this thread. Discuss anything golf related. The state of your game, new clubs, tournaments whatever.

I'm watching the LPGA tournament and listening to some tunes at the moment. Lucky, for me, Cheyenne Woods is playing well so she's getting a lot of air time. Good looking women she is. :yes:. She secured her tour card for next year at the recent LPGA qualifying tourney. I certainly like her better than her uncle.

cubdog

Good move, cubdog. My next golf will be in February when we take our 36th or so winter stag golf trip - this year in Orlando. These trips began with my brother and I at Pinehurst way back when. It now includes kids, acquainances, and assorted hanger-ons. Our Dad went with us for many years right up to the year of his death at age 85. Looking forward to it and wondering if I'll be able to play the requisite 36 holes per day for 5 straight days. Plus 18 the first and last days of the trip. I plan on packing an industrial size bottle of Aleve this year!

Cubdog, its good to know that other audiophiles do something besides solder and clean records. I too play golf, not very well, but it is a great relaxation tool for me.
State of my game: Hmmmm, well, this past season I shot between 42 and 46 about 70% of the time (9 holes). So, consistency improved a bit this year, but I had zero sub 40 scores this year. I did have a couple of rounds above 50 also, which is not abnormal for me - sometimes I just can't keep it going in the right direction!
Clubs: I bought new irons this past year. They are clones (Diamond Tour Golf) of the Calloway X hot-2 irons and I had them made the correct length and lie angle for me. They are a definite improvement over the Hogan Edge clubs I was using - as I simply can't hit the center of the club much these days. They are also longer by about a club. I gave my HOgans to my 19 years old (as he has always loved them) and he hist them a flying mile (7 iron goes 195). I also picked up a used (like new) Calloway X Hot-2 4 wood. This club is actually longer than the 3 wood I was using and its is easier to hit straight. But, I'm still only about 50/50 with hitting a "good" shot off of the fairway with it. I'm good off of the tee with it though - and it goes about 220 - and straight. I would really like to find a new driver as my old Adams driver tends to Fade a bit - whereas I tend to hit more of a straight ball or even a slight draw with my other clubs. I just haven't found one that I like yet. I need to try out the X Hot-2 with some different shafts until I come up with one that suits my tired old swing!
Other: physically, I am adjusting to life post shoulder surgery (left shoulder and I'm right handed). It has really impacted my golf swing and my back gets very sore if I play more than twice a week. I guess I need some lessons - but finding a "good" teacher is really tough. My wife took some lessons early this year and ended up WORSE … she was really disappointed. Bad teacher.

Cubdog, its good to know that other audiophiles do something besides solder and clean records. I too play golf, not very well, but it is a great relaxation tool for me.
State of my game: Hmmmm, well, this past season I shot between 42 and 46 about 70% of the time (9 holes). So, consistency improved a bit this year, but I had zero sub 40 scores this year. I did have a couple of rounds above 50 also, which is not abnormal for me - sometimes I just can't keep it going in the right direction!
Clubs: I bought new irons this past year. They are clones (Diamond Tour Golf) of the Calloway X hot-2 irons and I had them made the correct length and lie angle for me. They are a definite improvement over the Hogan Edge clubs I was using - as I simply can't hit the center of the club much these days. They are also longer by about a club. I gave my HOgans to my 19 years old (as he has always loved them) and he hist them a flying mile (7 iron goes 195). I also picked up a used (like new) Calloway X Hot-2 4 wood. This club is actually longer than the 3 wood I was using and its is easier to hit straight. But, I'm still only about 50/50 with hitting a "good" shot off of the fairway with it. I'm good off of the tee with it though - and it goes about 220 - and straight. I would really like to find a new driver as my old Adams driver tends to Fade a bit - whereas I tend to hit more of a straight ball or even a slight draw with my other clubs. I just haven't found one that I like yet. I need to try out the X Hot-2 with some different shafts until I come up with one that suits my tired old swing!
Other: physically, I am adjusting to life post shoulder surgery (left shoulder and I'm right handed). It has really impacted my golf swing and my back gets very sore if I play more than twice a week. I guess I need some lessons - but finding a "good" teacher is really tough. My wife took some lessons early this year and ended up WORSE … she was really disappointed. Bad teacher.

Which Denver area courses do you like? My favorite was Riverdale Dunes. I also liked Eagle Ridge, I think, up in Broomfield. I played all over actually, some great courses in you neck of the woods. Funny you mentioned Diamond Tour. They are a part of Hurricane golf headquartered in DeKalb Il. jus 40 miles from me. I've done a lot of business at their retail store. I bought new Cobra irons and a Cleveland driver from them in the past year.
They have great prices.

cubdog

good thread. Watching Australian PGA today.

possible fantasy question you could include : your dream foursome...you and 3 others and must include one from each of PGA regular tour, one LPGA and one from the Senior Tour.

I played the last few rounds of the season at some really great courses, then broke my ankle 3 days after the final one in mid-November. I usually try to sneak winter rounds in as weather permits, but this year it will be sometime in the spring until I can play again. The memories of those last rounds will have to suffice. I actually read a golf magazine cover to cover the other day.

good thread. Watching Australian PGA today.

possible fantasy question you could include : your dream foursome...you and 3 others and must include one from each of PGA regular tour, one LPGA and one from the Senior Tour.

Good question I'll think about it.

cubdog

OK my threesome.

Champions Tour-D.A.Weibring
LPGA-Michelle Wie
PGA-Phil Mickelson

D.A. because he has been my favorite golfer for about 40 years.
M. Wie because she is an amazing talent who I believe has still only scratched the surface of what she will accomplish. Plus, she dabbles at art, as do I, she's got a great sense of humor, and she can eat a couple pounds of ribs at a setting.
Phil I just want to watch his short game up close and he may be the smartest golfer out there. He seems to know a lot about a lot.

The PGA was toughest to pick. I'd love to play with Rory McIlroy, Jason Day, Sergio Garcia, Adam Scott, Jordan Spieth, Graeme McDowell, among others.

cubdog

Cubdog, I live North of Denver about 25 miles. So I play Saddleback, Buffalo Run, Coyote Creek and Ute Creek quite a bit. I do like Riverdale and play there now and then. I also like Todd Creek - great practice area.

Re: Diamond Tour … I bought my 15 year old an X Hot2 clone driver this past season and now he blows it by me off the tee all the time. Jeez, he only weighs 115 pounds and he hits it 250+ …. I'm 55 now, so I seem to be losing 10 yards per season - and its getting comical!

Planning on getting out for a walk Sunday. Suppose to be mid 40's! Missed December 13 thru March 14 with all the snow we got. Always nice when you can check off Dec - Feb as "golfed" months in Ohio!

Planning on getting out for a walk Sunday. Suppose to be mid 40's! Missed December 13 thru March 14 with all the snow we got. Always nice when you can check off Dec - Feb as "golfed" months in Ohio!

I'm hoping to get out too. The next four days are supposed to be right around 50. Hopefully the rain will stay away.

cubdog

my three and I'm assuming they'd give me a few tips..
LPGA - Julie Inkster. Classy and still competitive after many years.
PGA - Sergio. Always liked him even without a major.
Senior - Nick Price. True gentleman and he plays at a good speed.

Best golf tip I've had was from a one-time lesson. The guy watched me hit a few and then stood behind on one. At the top of my backswing he yanks the club out of my hands and says "Problem one: you're not gripping tight enough. That club came out too easy." Since then hitting everything better. Only had to increase grip pressure a bit to make a difference.

A disappointing season yet again for me, only played 8 rounds and none of them were note worthy. No way to keep the short game sharp when you only play once a month. Dropped my 52 degree wedge out of the bag and added a Taylor Made 56 degree to play from rough & fairway. Put my old Ben Hogan 56 sand wedge back in the bag for the traps. I also stopped carrying long irons, taking the 3 & 4 iron out of the bag & putting in a 9 & an 11 wood into the bag. I have always been a good fairway wood player, not so much a long iron player so this works for me. I hit the 9 wood around 200 & the 11 around 185, both high & fairly straight.

On the bright side, I had drinks yesterday with my buddy who is a member of Merion & got the invite to come down in the spring. One of the hardest courses I have ever played. There will be a lot of practice before I show up at that venue.

I consistently shoot just above 100. I use Calloway irons and woods, but keep an old, orange Taylormade Burner 5-wood in the bag because it cuts through the rough and is lucky.

On occasion, when the gods are smiling and unicorns are watching, I can hit a drive over 300 yards. Then I proceed to bomb my pitching wedge way, way over the flag.

But I look good, lose bets with a smile, and am good for a few rounds of drinks.

I've managed to break 80 for seven consecutive years. I didn't think I was going to last year until I rallied late in the season. My problem is inconsistency I might shoot an 80 one day and 100 the next. It all depends on how my back feels. When it's tight and sore I can't control my shots and they go everywhere. When the back feels good I can still manage a decent round.

I'm amazed at the pros who have had back surgery and can still play professionally. My second surgery was the same as Tiger's so I know what he's up against. Unfortunately, for me my first surgery was much worse and I needed to have an implant put in. Titanium is good for a driver not so much in the back. :D

cubdog

I've managed to break 80 for seven consecutive years. I didn't think I was going to last year until I rallied late in the season. My problem is inconsistency I might shoot an 80 one day and 100 the next. It all depends on how my back feels. When it's tight and sore I can't control my shots and they go everywhere. When the back feels good I can still manage a decent round.

I'm amazed at the pros who have had back surgery and can still play professionally. My second surgery was the same as Tiger's so I know what he's up against. Unfortunately, for me my first surgery was much worse and I needed to have an implant put in. Titanium is good for a driver not so much in the back. :D

cubdog

I had a good run from July - October of 80's after starting and ending the year like last year in the 90's. I did end up playing to a 12 during that time instead of my usual 17. Hoping next year the run starts a bit earlier. Usually I'll have a swing check a couple of times a year, and of course it screws the game up for a couple of months. Perhaps I should leave that out as well! Of course, if I practiced more it would probably help also. :yes: Shoulder was my issue later in the year. Only hurts when I overswing, which is most of the time!

Got out today on OSU Gray course. A few others also out. Hopefully will make time for at least 9 tomorrow if not 18.

Good for you! I didn't play. Even though it was in the upper 40s it was foggy and drizzled all day. The 10mph wind made it feel even worse. I should have gone anyway. I guess that I didn't is just another sign that I'm old. :sigh:

cubdog

Nice collection. That's about the same number That I have. I have a Ping, two Seemores, an old Odyssey, a Yes and then a couple really old ones.

cubdog

Back
Top Bottom