glass and more glass

sykes3170

It has been one of those days. Been restoring an onkyo tx 4500. I have replaced all bulbs and cleaned and lube all the pots, dusted and cleaned to my heart's content. I was replacing bulbs and was in the process of reassembling it and I had it standing on end putting the glass In and turned my back and it fell and shattered the hi glass:tears:. I can't for the life of me figure out how . It was solid. It would have taken a push to make it fall. I have also recapped and re-finished four realistic optimus 5 speakers to go with it. What should I do about the broken glass. I've been sick as a dog. Does anybody have any replacement glass I could buy. Thanks all!

Go to a local glass company with your old glass and have them make a new one. I have a couple of Pioneer SX-1250s that had broken dial glasses and that's what I did. About $10 each with the hole cut out for the dial shaft.

Go to a local glass company with your old glass and have them make a new one. I have a couple of Pioneer SX-1250s that had broken dial glasses and that's what I did. About $10 each with the hole cut out for the dial shaft.

Tried that and my local glass company said that they couldn't drill the tiny holes for the bolts that hold the glass on the receiver? Go figure? It has two holes in each corner and one for the dial shaft.Thanks for your reply!

Tried hat and my local glass company said that they couldn't drill the tiny holes for the bolts that hold the glass on the receiver? Go figure? Thanks for your reply!

Got a drill?

I've made plexiglass ones for other stuff.
Won't look as good as the original, those are pretty.
But if your glass company is lame, you're hosed.

Viva Las Vegas! They can do glass here. It's incredible.

Ya, I think my glass company must be pinheads. Today I took a piece of the broken glass and used a diamond coated bit from harbor freight and kept it wet and drilled a hole without much effort. I wish I could find someone with a bad receiver and good glass and just sale me one.

If you were able to make a decent hole in a piece of the broken glass, why not just get a plain piece of glass and drill the holes yourself?

I think that's what I'm going to do. I'm going to call and get a piece of glass cut today. I need to get a bigger glass drill bit also. Most of the holes are 1/4". Thanks for your help and suggestions!

Back
Top Bottom