1985 S10 truck w 36k miles - project

all s10s have some sort of computer...even the carbed ones

Sorry dude, not mine. I know, I have looked high and low. I have looked at the factory schematics. there is no computer on mine. I know the California models had them, but the 82-85 49 state versions did not.

I had an 84 4x4 Blazer for a while that my parents had bought new. That 2.8 V6 was the single worst engine that I've ever had the displeasure of dealing with. It was mostly dead at 100K, and the rebuild was already wearing out again by about 115K. And it had a weird habit of stalling if you went through a left turn that was banked just the wrong way.

Good luck with your project! I hope your results are better than mine were.

I had an 84 4x4 Blazer for a while that my parents had bought new. That 2.8 V6 was the single worst engine that I've ever had the displeasure of dealing with. It was mostly dead at 100K, and the rebuild was already wearing out again by about 115K. And it had a weird habit of stalling if you went through a left turn that was banked just the wrong way.

Good luck with your project! I hope your results are better than mine were.

Wow, I think it would be hard not to have better results.

I swear some vehicles are haunted. I'm not a superstitious kind of guy, but there are some that just don't wanna. I have spent years attempting to exorcise ghosts and demons from my Lincoln and have largely given up. It insists on something being broken at all times. For the last year, the driver's side rear door has been broken. I cannot open it because the lock motor seized. I think I will just leave it alone. It doesn't bother me, and I fear that the broken thing will move itself somewhere obnoxious. Its done that more than once.

The weather is supposed to be nicer this week. I hope to push the truck out into the driveway and scrub down the engine compartment. That is going to be a nasty job. If I get really crazy and have the time, I might(maybe, prolly not) try and paint the inside of the engine compartment to a black or indiscriminant color. I am going to paint the truck in the next month or so, and I would love to open the hood and not see a gold firewall. This is one thing I am not looking forward too.

more pics to follow................

mark

The motor is now in the truck!!!!!!
:banana::banana::banana::banana:

Pics below

Attachments

• IMG_5052.jpg
    IMG_5052.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_5050.jpg
    IMG_5050.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_5048.jpg
    IMG_5048.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_5047.jpg
    IMG_5047.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_5045.jpg
    IMG_5045.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 23
Flat tappet, but I did change to roller rockers and a little longer duration cam.

I think I still have maybe 10-12 hours of work before I can fire her up. Mothers day weekend now, so I doubt I can get back to the truck until early next week.

Congrats! Be sure to post a video of it running after you get the cam broke in! :thmbsp:

And make sure you have a zinc additive to help break in the can.

I ordered four bottles of it a few days ago. Each bottle good for one oil change. The break in procedures I have read about typically state a 20 minute varying rpm for the initial start up. Shut it off, change the oil and filter adding zddp again. Start it up and drive it for maybe 300-500 miles. Change the oil again. Repeat until 3k miles. Also, a straight 30w oil should be used.
At 3k, I will change to synthetic and go from there at every 3-5k miles.

Lots of other idea are on the net for a break in, but this is the one that "feels" right to me.

I finally got her fired up and running today. I need to do about 10-15 more minutes of break in, a lot of adjusting(valves, timing, carb, etc), change the oil, and then she should be good to go.

FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i'll post some pics when I get just a touch closer.

mark

Make sure you set the TV Cable. You should have a 2-1 Kickdown after a light throttle 1-2 shift (6-9mph) Make sure the throttle plates fully open first. (Carpet and bent brackets ect.)

Back
Top Bottom