Today is the Day KMET Returns to the SoCal Airwaves

elcoholic

Jet Fuel Genius
Subscriber
So for all the Mighty Met lovers that haven't heard, A bunch of the old KMET DJ's are taking over the Sound (100.3 fm) starting with Jeff Gonzer and Ace Young at 3:00 today. Sound be a great weekend on the radio. I don't have a tuner in rotation right now so will prolly use internet radio and do some recording on the computer. If they go AOR and play sides then the internet will be screwed (damn rules) and I need to get a receiver out and run it to the computer for recording.

For the younger AK'rs imagine a time when fm DJ's picked their own music, played albums sides all the time and thoughtfully composed thematically linked sets. The golden age before the suits and their program directors took over and ruined fm. Hope you all enjoy this glimpse into a past when fm radio was so good, you didn't need to buy your own albums.

Ohh, this is cool.
I was born and raised in So.Cal, and KMET was a substantial listening source for me when FM came into vogue in the early 70's.
I'll try and tune in, but, in Fallbrook (so.cal Mayberry), I get about zero radio reception.

A little bit of heaven, 94.7,… KMET, tweedle-dee

Last edited:
My dearly departed Dad's fifth wife lives in Bonsall. I bought my 1st house in '77 in O'side on Thunder Dr. at College. Almost collected a peacock or two a few times making early weekend morning banzai runs in the avocado orchard twisties of Fallbrook in my '62 Porsche. I was only 21 then, it's a wonder I survived owning that car.

Fortunately CATV had LA radio repeated on the cable so I got the Mighty Met just fine. Hopefully you can listen on the internet.

^^^ Sucks. Did back then to. Ask Jim Ladd he'll tell you from his original stint there after KNAC I think. 3x5 index card box stuffed by the program director. Play the song on the front card and put it in the back of the box. Repeat... KLOS was ABC corporate from the gate, obviously commercially sustainable, but as Zappa said about the fur trapper "strictly commercial" :)

Yeah, but they had magic moments ...

I remember one Friday night, Stairway started skipping around midnight ... and kept on skipping till dawn ... couldn't stop listening ... then again, some level of chemical enhancement could have factored into that ... on both sides of the speakers ... <G>

Sweet and yes they did have moments on both sides of the speakers. I recommend Ladd's book Radio Waves about the fictional station KAOS. Even M&B had their moments. The whole launching of Bob's Big Boy over the Snake River (IRRC) was pretty good.

So, like ... how'd it go?

Nothing but '80's big hair dreck, right?

I'm just now getting to listen. Jim Ladd is on and they're talking about when Ace Young & Paraquat Kelly at KMET broke the paraquat story, gave out the White House phone number on the air and millions of LA KMET listeners flooded and overloaded the DC phone system. I remember that like it was last week. I was so pissed off. They just play Volunteers of America by JA.

Dr. Dimento at 6:00! Gonzer's on now. They just played Cheech and Chong's Born in East LA

doctor demento
doctor demento
doctor demento

I've still got the tshirt with the Pico & Sepulveda street sign ... as seen thru light Los Angeles smog!

I see they got one for sale right now on da bay ... you could have your very own for only $775!!

Crap ... gotta get mine insured ...

Fish heads, fish heads, rolly polly fish heads, eat 'em up yum.

I'm really hoping to here the Boobs a lot song too.

kmet_full_sticker.gif

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom