P2200 - Need some advice

Chris Brown

AK Subscriber
Subscriber

I picked up this P2200 back in August for $100. Seller had it hooked up to a single speaker in his garage playing music for demonstration purposes when I arrived. I got it home and tested the DC offset (which I talked a little about in a previous thread) and hooked it up to a pair of test speakers. It seemed to work fine, but since it had higher DC offset than my other amps I decided to take it to my local tech.

This local tech is more of a TV/DVD player repair guy but he is a nice guy and has fixed my C-85 twice in the past and so I decided to give him a shot at fixing the P2200. I dropped it off there back in late September.

This Tuesday he called me back and told me that he had ordered some replacement parts, but that even with those that he was "unable to fix it", and that he "gives up". I went and picked up the amp from the shop. The guy was very apologetic and didn't charge me anything aside from the estimate fee, despite the work he did.

Taped to the top of the amp was a small plastic bag, which contained what I believe are the old parts of what he replaced:

p2200parts.jpg

I'm unsure of what to do now. I'm curious to turn it on, test the DC offset again and compare it to my earlier figures, perhaps hook it up to my test speakers again. It makes me nervous however how the tech talked as if it was broken, and with parts having been replaced. I think I would be better off not even turning it on right now, but simply getting it to a more knowledgeable tech asap.

On that note, I know there are a few here who have worked on this model amp in the past. I LOVE the idea of someone working on it who actually has experience with Yamaha. I'd like to get it recapped in addition to simply getting it fixed. If anyone here feels like they can tackle this I'd be happy to give you the business :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom