Infinity RS-IIB Speakers

I thought I would update my experience with the infinity speakers since my last post. I have been fortunate in finding a Parasound JC-2 preamp which replaced the Bel Canto preamp. I also changed out the Yamaha M2 amp for bass with a Parasound A21 amp. Lastly, I placed some ATC sound absorption panels on rear wall (my sofa and listening position is directly against the rear wall). I have found each change/upgrade in upstream electronics is very noticable in the sound reproduced by the Infinity speakers. I could not be happier with the performance of these speakers. The soundstaging, dynamics, and coherence of sound top to bottom is impressive. As noted in earlier posts in this thread, I have several other "large" speakers. I seem to be reaching the conclusion the Infinity and Magnepan 3.6R speakers will be my "keepers". While the Quad ESL-63 speakers are very nice - they just are not getting used due to how much I enjoy the Infinity and Magnepan speakers and their accompanying systems.

:tresbon: I owned a set of RS-2b's before I bought my RS-1b's. In fact, the reason I bought my RS-1b's was because of the sound I got from my RS-2b's. They are GREAT speakers. I had them bi-amped with some Carver products. (first time I bi-amped anything) When I bought my RS-1b's I had to ditch the Carvers, they inverted the signal, which I couldn't do with the RS-1b's.

The sounds I heard from the RS-2b's were to my liking, and they were pretty easy to set up (just move them around a bit)- Great bass, outstanding mid-range, and treble.

When I got my RS-1b's was different story- Different WAF, and positioning four columns as opposed to 2. An Infinitely more choices.

I'm still playing with it, many years later.

Enjoy your RS-2b's- they are some of the greatest and most musical speakers ever made, IMHO. :music:

Most recent changes with my Infinity system is I removed Monarchy amps and am no longer biamping - using the Parasound A-21 amp only. I then removed the Infinity Equalizer from system (also removed Morrow RCA I/C Cables and replaced with Balanced Cardas Cables between amp and preamp). I expected I would notice a loss of bass without equalizer. I'm pleasantly surprised with the performance - as it sounds very nice without the equalizer. At this point - I can't say that I hear any loss of bass and the mids/highs and soundstage is at least as good - if not better - than with equalizer. Does anyone else run their IIB speakers without equalizer?

They need an equalizer to achieve a flat frequency response and deep bass extension. I've measured it. Picture #1 is the response with no EQ unit, picture #2 is the response with the EQ unit.

Without the EQ the subjective listening impression is boomy mid-bass and deficient low bass.

Attachments

• RSIIb FR no EQ.png
    RSIIb FR no EQ.png
    48.4 KB · Views: 68
  • RSIIb FR.jpg
    RSIIb FR.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 69
They need an equalizer to achieve a flat frequency response and deep bass extension. I've measured it. Picture #1 is the response with no EQ unit, picture #2 is the response with the EQ unit.

Without the EQ the subjective listening impression is boomy mid-bass and deficient low bass.

I have to agree, the bass is very weak without my eq. Depending on what I listen to I guess I could go without it. Any music with bass below 75 htz would be lifeless in my room anyway. They are designed to be used with the eq in place.
Jim

cjmustang69,

Have you continued to use the RSIIb's without the Eq? Like others, I would be very surprised if you are getting all you can from them without the Eq unless you have some other way of adjusting the contour and overall level of bass output.

I am curious where you stand with them now.

I have a pair that I have been listening to for some time, and I think they are a wonderful sounding pair of speakers. I unfortunately don't have a factory eq, I am using a SAE 2800 parametric eq for what its worth. If anyone comes across a factory eq I sure would be interested in finding one.

They can be run without the Infinity Eq but not well without some Eq.

I have run my RSIIa's without the infinity Eq as an experiment but they have zero low end that way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom