Yamaha CR-1020 transformation (bandwidth warning!)

specialidiot

Break Glass, Smoke Lucky
This is the CR-1020 that I got about 5 weeks ago by way of an ebay purchase. the case was damaged by a careless packaging job and ejfud volunteered to see what he could do with it. I dropped the case off with Gary about 3 weeks ago, along with some South American Rosewood veneer that I purchased on the 'net.

First, a nude pic. It didn't need much cleaning, just some time brushing some gunk loose, followed by a blast of canned air and a bit of vacuuming.
nude.jpg

Next I relamped it with 5 lamps purchased from AKer Dgwojo.
relamp2.jpg

Here's the dial pointer lamp, note where I spliced it between the black tiewrap and the white wire holder thingy.
relamp4.jpg

I also adjusted the idle current for both channels. This was by far the easiest gear I've every adjusted. In the above picture, you put your meter between the yellow wire and TP0 next to it. On the other end of that board is a pot, adjust for 10mv. The other channel is identical except the wire is brown instead of yellow.

Here are some rear end shots

rear1.jpg

-
rear2.jpg

-
rear3.jpg

Finally, the Yamaha Pron view. Gary outdid himself with the veneer job, and I followed up with three coats of Watco Danish Oil.

front1.jpg

-
front2.jpg

-
front4.jpg

-
front6.jpg

-
Again, a big specialidiot special thanks to ejfud for the incredibly beautiful job he did with the case. This is a receiver to keep forever.

Beautiful! Great job on that, Gary! :thmbsp:

You're a lucky fella, specialidiot! :yes:

I have seen Rob's work, on more than one case. His words are the highest praise for which you can hope.

I know that I owe thanks to Rob as well. Gary did "consult" with him on some of the fine points of veneering Yammie cabinets. Apparently the area around the grille was a challenge.

Now that the ambient light is gone for the day from our sunroom, I just powered it up to see the lamps in a dark room Very nice.

Dang that looks great all put together and with a finish!

Still one of my favorite looking vintage receivers. I'll have to come for a listen soon.

It was my pleasure to do the veneer work. It's very therapeutic for me.

Back
Top Bottom