October 29-1983 to 2013

merrylander

AK Member
Rather than interrupt the fest thread this sort of qualifies as an event, at least it was an event in our lives.

After offering her my protection the night of the February blizzard of 1983 and a handshake, All that stack of letters across 500 miles resulted in a private wedding ceremony at my brothers house thirty years ago today.

The champagne is chilling, her card is made - I always make her birthday and anniversary cards because I can never find ones that say what I feel. Mom did say that of her three sons I was the poet. I guess that I do have a way with words because Florence did agree to be my wife and make my life complete.

Last edited:
She was a widow and me a divorcee. Neither of us had especially happy lives before each other. She travelled with me when I was lecturing in Europe and I have a photo* of her standing in the doorway of Shakespeare's house in Stratford-on-Avon that I have enlarged and framed sinply because she looks just so happy. If that is all that I have accomplished in this life I am content.

*My new hobby we now have four generations framed and hanging on the Playroom walls. My new genealogy program is great as I got her family back 10 generations.

Last edited:
You are a fortunate man who has taken advantage of a second chance.
It takes one to know one.
In that photo, I see where you were looking and that says it all for me.

We had just exchanged rings and she held onto my hand but looked at Pastor Hansen as he declared we were husband and wife. Me I could not take my eyes off her.

The champagne was excellent and when she read the card and looked at me with such love in her eyes . . .

It was a good day.

Back
Top Bottom