Vintage A-760 Main Direct Switch

Bigrock

I have a vintage A-760 that I have owned since new, it still is working great after all these years except for the Main Direct switch. The switch will not latch anymore. :tears:
So my question is does anyone know where to source a replacement, I have come across some threads that mention replacements but not where to find them. Better yet has anyone replaced one of these?
If I could find a parts unit I would just replace the board but I get the feeling that might be tough.
Appreciate any help or comments.

Any chance of desoldering it off the board, cleaning the contacts and lubing the rail? Is it completely kapot?

I know Denon and Onkyo made use of those flexible blue cables, but these parts are indeed hard to find.

this is the part from the s/m- they can be cleaned and lubricated- it's possible the tiny saddle that latches has slipped out, got sticky or jammed- is it just spring returning out and and not 'clicking' like it used to?

Attachments

• main direct yamaha.JPG
    main direct yamaha.JPG
    153.4 KB · Views: 16
@Karl vd Berg: (Hello again Karl!)
This one is not attached to one of the blue cables, it is activated directly from the Main Direct button. I think it is no good as I thought I took a pretty good look at it but will try again tomorrow with a magnifying glass.

@restorer-john:
I will clean, lube and recheck tomorrow. I'm pretty sure the switch is bad but will re-examine one more time to make sure. It just won't latch at all, if you press the square Main direct button on the front panel it activates the switch and illuminates the green light but immediately De-activates as soon as you let it go. I can verify that it is not latched as all tone controls are working after I let the switch go.

Thanks for the quick replies guys, much appreciated!

sw_zps2eddcaa8.jpg

There's a plastic guide for the steel pin which locks the mechanism when on/off. The guide is worn out. You need to replace the switch.

Cleaned and lubed this morning and the problem persists. Looks like I will have to change out in order to cure. The unit is still very functional the way it is but that being said it just bugs me when things don't work 100%.
Is it possible to sorce these switchs new?

Post a closeup picture of the actual main/direct switch- it will likely be one I can pull from a donor board.
Very kind offer John, I will will try and source one locally as I see we are many miles apart and I am sure even the shipping never mind the cost of the switch would be quite high.

Will keep you posted with the progress

I have a vintage A-760 that I have owned since new, it still is working great after all these years except for the Main Direct switch. The switch will not latch anymore. :tears:
So my question is does anyone know where to source a replacement, I have come across some threads that mention replacements but not where to find them. Better yet has anyone replaced one of these?
If I could find a parts unit I would just replace the board but I get the feeling that might be tough.
Appreciate any help or comments.

Hello Bigrock !

PM sent ! your trouble is over :yes:

Pretty sure you'll get the amp fixed, Bigrock.
I like the A-760, and all the A-7xx series as well.

Thanks Karl, I will get it fixed eventually, I like this amp as well. It has been a good performer for well over 30 years now!

@clinic-audio
Thank you, PM received

Back
Top Bottom