Betas binding posts

crwilli

I have spent the last hour researching DIYs to replace the binding posts in my Betas. I went back to threads from 2008 and only found one post from 2012 and have sent that member a PM but they only ever made 10 posts so I am not optimistic. Even that posts says he did it but nothing else and his pictures are no longer available.

Any of you current owners replaced these on your Betas? Can you share the process and things to watch out for?

If not, I will start the journey myself.

I'm gonna sit back and watch also. The original posts on my Gamma's spin at will. The best posts I've ever used were the Edison Price Music Posts. They are sadly no longer available, as far as I know. Ebay is awash with pretty posts from HongKong, but I can't tell the good from the not so....

I went from the stock banana posts on my RSIIbs to some brass 5-ways from Parts-Express to the far superior No Binding Posts (direct bi-wired to the external crossover) that I use now. Since I use monoblocks very near to the speakers a short pig-tail is all I need. See Pic.

The best binding post is no binding post, if the criterion is sound quality only. Might be inconvenient for some folks, though.

Attachments

• Bi-Wire Crossover.jpg
    Bi-Wire Crossover.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 36
An alternative I've seen used is to bring the wires that would normally be soldered to the inside part of the binding posts to the outside of the speaker through a small hole. Those wires are then terminated with a spade connector and put into the binding posts (spade type) so that they directly compress against the speaker wire spade terminations. In that way, the binding posts are only being used as clamps to hold the internal wire spade against the speaker cable spade, and so the posts only need to be able to supply a firm clamping action, their "sound quality" becomes irrelevant since they aren't passing any signal.

Interesting suggestion to wire them directily but I lean to the more 'traditional' and am really only looking to improve the solidarity of the connection. The OEM posts suck as has been reported for a few decades now. I am just getting around to changing them.

Back
Top Bottom