Need Help Restoring RSe's

Bkphoto

Restoring RSe's

Hi everyone,

The crossover seems to be stapled to the back, what is the process of getting this out....? Am I just prying it out with a chisel, etc...

thanks for your help,
Brent

Last edited:
I'm used to crossovers that are held in with screws...just wondering if there is a typical method used...

Here is something that works gently pry out all of the old staples and give a gentle push from the back of the speaker cabinet crossover pops right out i use a jewelers flat blade screwdriver. Just reglue the old crossover back in place when the crossover is recapped and all pots cleaned.

i used a wide chisel so i didn't have to pry very hard to start it...it seems that once I got it started it came out rather easy...I went real slow, took my time...

not going to use grills on these so will be covering holes, sanding everything and staining black...going to take the little Infinity symbol off grill and glue it to speaker when done...

the crossovers....going to recap and replace resistor, clean, etc...

So what do you guys think about testing the resistance at the pot when set flat and substituting a resistor instead...never understood the need for this adjustment when I have all the adjustment I need on the amp that will be running these...especially the Marantz 1060 that i will be using which also has a mid adjust...

please advise...

Find the resistance of the pot at midpoint that is the flat setting nothing wrong with using a fixed resistor to bypass the pots. But make sure you use a resistor with a high enough wattage rating to dissapate enough heat. Also leave the yellow caps they are film and foil and don't go bad. If i remember correctly the pots are rated for 10 watts so choose a resistor between 10-20 watts.

Replacing those electrolytics should be a VERY AUDIBLE change, if you want, do some A-B testing, just for fun...

I'd keep the grills... And keep the pots. They are there to tweak the speaker response to match the room, or to match with some amp, or some kind of music. If a fixed resistor gives appropiate response, the factory would use a fixed resistor there. You can replace it though.

I've used screws to mount the crossover back. did some holes to the board, and used 8 screws.

If i remember correctly the pots are rated for 10 watts so choose a resistor between 10-20 watts.

Will do...I've been looking for a diagram to show me the watt value on the pot but can't find one anywhere...That site that is in German doesn't have the right one, its not even close...

In my infinity qbs which used the same pot the wattage was 8 watts i found the info when upgrading the crossovers so a 10 watt resistor would be fine nice work on the cabs by the way.

thanks

probably go with a Mills 12 watt

i used the black stain on the sides and a textured paint on the fronts...

still have to solder in cap on bottom of pic, waiting on resistor that is taking place of pot...

Mills resistors, Solen cap for the lows, jantzen z-caps for the highs

NIce !!

I made 8 holes to the xover plate (4 corners, 4 sides), and used screws to put it back. Easier that the staples.

Back
Top Bottom