Regret Having Opened my Pioneer PL-7

Hello PL-7 experts,

A friend of mine asked me to fix his PL-720 which rotates nicely but does not behave as it should and goes in continuous loops which can only be stopped by unpluging the turntable. After reading this thread, I suspect that removing the top cover and putting it back correctly could do miracles. I sent a pm to beej asking for his disassembly/reassembly instructions and will report the outcome of the correct reassembly procedure.

Thank you for sharing your expertise.

Welcome to AK babu. I've responded to your request and the guide is on the way.

hi everyone.... i bought a PL-7 last week, and was very happy with the sound that came out of my speaker through my arcam amplifier.. not until 2 nights ago when i realized that i've been enjoying a distorted music as the speed is out. speed is way below 33 rpm.

i tried to disassemble it (as some forummers suggested), but got stuck as i don't know how to remove the tonearm.

Beej... need your help... can share with me the manual on how to disassemble the table?

thanks...

thanks beej for the guide. really helpful.

i have removed the top panel, and also the circuit board (see attached picture). Can advise me where should i spray the contact cleaner?

thanks...

Attachments

• 20150605_003357.jpg
    20150605_003357.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 119
palmo, looking at the pic as posted, the speed switch is in the upper left corner. On the front of the switch is an actuator that, when depressed, changes the speed from 33 to 45 and 45 to 33. Depress and hold the actuator and spray the deoxit around the stem into the switch. Not much - just a couple of quick squirts. Then cycle the actuator rapidly and continuously for about a minute. Allow the deoxit to dry for about 15 to 20 minutes. Then dry cycle the actuator rapidly about 10 - 15 times Then repeat. The switch, if it's particularly oxidized, may require a couple of treatments. I've had to treat some as many as 4 times. Get back to us on how you're doing. Good luck.

hi Beej/all,

I managed to fix the speed problem :beer:.

underneath the turntable (in the middle section) there are two small holes. the one nearer to us, is to adjust the speed of 45 and the other one is to adjust the 33. Adjust using a screwdriver.

The table now sings beautifully, but i have another problem. when i press start button, the stylus lands about an inch inside the record. how to adjust this (i.e. the landing position)?

thanks you.

hi Beej/all,

I managed to fix the speed problem :beer:.

underneath the turntable (in the middle section) there are two small holes. the one nearer to us, is to adjust the speed of 45 and the other one is to adjust the 33. Adjust using a screwdriver.

The table now sings beautifully, but i have another problem. when i press start button, the stylus lands about an inch inside the record. how to adjust this (i.e. the landing position)?

thanks you.

There is an adjustment screw to the left of the tone arm. :yes:

See instruction "Adjusting the stylus descend position" on page ten of the owner's manual.

http://www.vinylengine.com/library/pioneer/pl-7.shtml

i forgot... its night time over there in the US... over here in Malaysia it is day time. :)

Anyway, good news. i don't know what i have done, after dismantling and reassembling, the table is now working perfectly!

thanks for the help and suggestion.

i forgot... its night time over there in the US... over here in Malaysia it is day time. :)

Anyway, good news. i don't know what i have done, after dismantling and reassembling, the table is now working perfectly!

thanks for the help and suggestion.

The mere mention of "beej" is sufficient to bring about the fix! :D

Very nice looking PL-7. I work on these units quite a bit and don't really think there's much to be gained by the mod but it's your choice. If you want/need to open it up shoot me a PM with an email address and I'll send you a guide on disassembling and reassembling these units.

I am having the same difficulties getting into my PL-7 and was hoping I could get Beej's guide as well. My issue is the same as many others in this thread as the automatic function is stuck in an endless loop. I just can't figure out how to get the cover around the tonearm. I would really appreciate the help.

I am having the same difficulties getting into my PL-7 and was hoping I could get Beej's guide as well. My issue is the same as many others in this thread as the automatic function is stuck in an endless loop. I just can't figure out how to get the cover around the tonearm. I would really appreciate the help.

You need to remove the stub the counterweight attaches to. If I recall correctly there's a screw inside the tube that holds it in place. It's been a while so my recollection is a bit hazy.

Yeah I read that in an earlier post but couldn't figure out how to remove it. I just loosened the tonearm on the back of the assembly and managed to maneuver the tonearm where i could get it off. Now I just need to figure out how to fix it and get it back together. It wouldn't hurt to have that manual to get it back together correctly too.

Send me a PM with your email address, Hil333, and I'll send along the guide. It's a step-by-step set of instructions on how to do it. If you can handle a Phillips-head screwdriver, an Allen wrench and a pair of needle nose pliers you can disassemble and reassemble these units no problem.

Last edited:
Beej is the pl-7 guru

Picked up a PL-7 four miles away about a week ago. Found this thread and sent a PM to Beej. He got back to me the next day with his most excellent guide. It had the same contentious loop problem many had described. My first attempt was basically cleaning (lots of pet hair and dust) deoxit and re lubricating. When I put it back together something was defiantly not right. Tried to get a service manual, but would have to send off for one, none found on the web. Then I thought, maybe there is a comparable model. Found a copy of the PL-5 manual, which seems very close but without the quartz lock feature. Gave me a couple ideas where I might have gone wrong.
Attempted to go back in yesterday. Went much faster this time. I corrected the two misalignment problems. Noticed that the plastic sleeve around the start lever pin was badly deteriorated and half missing. Cleaned the old material off and used two layers of shrink tube to recreate the approximate thickness.
IMG_2951_zps0zlqddyu.jpg

Reassembled using Beej's instructions, paying careful attention to proper alignment this time. Success everything working wonderfully.
IMG_2958_zpspbthzxoi.jpg

its not a PL-630 or a SL1600Mk2, but sounds really good and preforms flawlessly. It is true I did not need another turntable, but for two Hamilton's and with a really nice AT120E and also in my town I could not resist. Thanks Beej, you are among the many AK members that make this such a great forum.

Back
Top Bottom