The Official *Technics SL-1200* Owners Club

Actually just heard back from Panasonic and they said 2004. I'm guessing the Panasonic guy was wrong since it has that old format and the sticker itself is very old.

Interesting that they told you 2004. Perhaps that's their default year because the serial number on mine is CG8728F301 and they told me the manufacture date was July 2004 when I wrote to them.

Last edited:
Can you please tell us what differences you realized by changing the tonearm arm tube to carbon composite vs. the stock arm tube?Was it difficult to make the modification?Thanks for posting your nice work.

It would be nice if somebody made a replacement carbon fiber arm tube with headshell for the 1200 tonearm.

Sign me up :thmbsp:. I have a 1200 mk2 in damn fine original condition. I am looking into upgrading the stock cables. Yes I do have the correct metal 45rpm adapter though the cheap plastic one pictured came with it also

It's a damn good TT, bulletproof with rock steady speed

Image before I cleaned it up, no cracks in dustcover either

sT3SoVk.jpg

sBiSPjJ.jpg

IMG_0754.jpg

Just brought this home! Still didn't finished assembling it but couldn't resist to snap a picture. I should say score of the year or maybe score of the life? You be the judge. Super mint 1210 MkII. Not only there are no scratches, but there are no actual fingerprints on the unit! Still has that smell of new item. Must be stuck in some warehouse all this time. Seller had three actually, but sold one and kept the other one.

Came with original packaging and all the extras that are included. Found it in local ads for 600 notes practically by accident (was checking how much could i get for SL-1200 MkII in case i would ever sell it). I've noticed the seller mentioned original box and i was like... hmm let's check this one... and BAM! What a score! My good ole 1200 went into ads right away.

IMG_0753.jpg
IMG_0755.jpg

So happy !!!!!!

Prephono amp necessary?

I have my technics going to my Sansui 811 which has a phono setting. Should I still use a prephono amp before the Sansui? What sort of difference will it make? Thank you for your help.

Took the plunge and rewired/modded my Mk2 tonearm yesterday. Heatshrinked arm tube, and KAB Superflex wire kit (includes cotton to stuff in both ends of the arm tube). Also upgraded my battered interconnects with KAB "Spiral Air" interconnects along with a new ground wire.

I do not claim to have golden ears, but this made quite a difference. Soundstage is wider and there seems to be more top end with these changes. Took about 3 hours (hard to say as I had several interruptions including a trip to IKEA to get some stereo furniture), the hardest part was desoldering the existing wires from the headshell socket and making sure the headshell was aligned correctly before I put everything back together. If you know how to solder, this really isn't too hard of an upgrade to pull off for not a lot of money.

Took the plunge and rewired/modded my Mk2 tonearm yesterday. Heat-shrinked arm tube, and KAB Superflex wire kit (includes cotton to stuff in both ends of the arm tube). Also upgraded my battered interconnects with KAB "Spiral Air" interconnects along with a new ground wire.

I do not claim to have golden ears, but this made quite a difference. Soundstage is wider and there seems to be more top end with these changes.

It' amazing how small changes like this bring such nice improvements to these turntables :thmbsp:

RandomNobody hold onto that box, packing material and documents, it's also worth a bundle. So much for "nothing out there but beat up DJ 1200s" or new ones for an arm and a leg.

I have my technics going to my Sansui 811 which has a phono setting. Should I still use a prephono amp before the Sansui? What sort of difference will it make? Thank you for your help.
I would start with the Sansui phono input and see how you like that. Then you can start trying dedicated phono pre's to see if you notice or like the differences. Hard to say what the impact would be without giving the Sansui a try first.

RandomNobody hold onto that box, packing material and documents, it's also worth a bundle. So much for "nothing out there but beat up DJ 1200s" or new ones for an arm and a leg.
Thanks for info. I've actually put my old 1200 into that box now and was planning to ship it that way to the buyer. But if you say it's worth it, i guess i'll keep it. But OTOH i never plan to sell my 1210. It's going with me into grave. So now... i'm not sure should i keep the box or not. :scratch2:

If it was me and I was including the box and packing material with the 1200 your selling I'd let the buyer know you want a premium for the factory Technics box/packing material, I'd also be double boxing the 1200. On the other hand if you ever move in the future it would be nice to know the 1210 will be traveling well protected. I'v seen audio equipment boxes with packing material sell for $100.

Greetings Gents;

Just an hour ago bought the SL-1600mkII all functioning except the cueing arm and obvious belt shot. So gotta dig that out. Maybe ace has o-rings from reading threads. anybody got a link in case they don't?

Went to local shop and here's some dj models I assume.. wondering if worth a shot considering resale on two with tone arms.. didn't test to see if running as I was checking out speakers and considering the parts availability.. don't know if I want to tackle them.. but wondering what to offer.. could pack and ship if somebody want's to gamble. my concern was the speed control ic's if needed. Got to admit these metal chassis' are pretty tough.

picture.php

picture.php

Tips for buying SL 1210 mk2

Hello all you kind people of Audiokarma. I am in the process of purchasing a Technics SL-1210 mk2 and now need a few tips to make sure everthing is ok with the table I will be bidding on. So, is there any certain weak/critical things that need to be checked (my aim is to grill the seller about these)? I know SL-1200/1210 has a reputation of being very reliable TT and built like a tank but I do not have a chance to test it before buying. So perhaps I could get some useful info, just to make sure everything goes smoothly. I will of course ask if the seller has knowledge and experience how to pack and ship safely.
The "copy" I am now looking to buy is supposedly pretty close to unused and has orginal box. All info very much appreciated. Thank You.

By the way, is a black matte the only finish 1210 mk2 has? Some copies look more grey than black. And I do not mean the 1200 version.

I picked up this original 1200 a couple of weeks ago. It cleaned up nicely, and there are no scratches on it.

160898866.jpg

Can anyone tell me what year this is? serial # DA99 27B196. I can't figure out how to from the serial number page. Thanks for any info. Great TT

Attachments

• P1030686.jpg
    P1030686.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 45
  • P1030684.jpg
    P1030684.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 41
I'd like to join

I just picked up my 2nd 1200 mk2 off of craigslist this past weekend. now i believe to have an early 80s model and this one looks to be a late 80s or early 90s.

first unit s/n: DK14 30D353 with model SL-1200MK2 (OG?) it has the 4" dia hole for the RCAs.
second unit s/n: NH1BH36200 with model SL-1200MK2-A-1 (definitely more mods) it has the smaller dia hole for the RCAs.

the 2nd unit is my main for now. its perfect. i plan on upgrading the RCAs and strobe LED on the 1st unit.

Back
Top Bottom