Regret Having Opened my Pioneer PL-7

ScottCh

Hi Folks,

I have a Pioneer PL-7 direct drive turntable that I bought new in the 1980s. I noticed during the early 00's that it was slowing down, even though the quartz lock light remains lit when it's at speed.

Photo:
414676857_o.jpg

I did some searching online and found that this is not an unusual problem with this model. Cleaning the contacts in a couple of switches usually clears it up. The problem is that in the process I've boogered up the tonearm return mechanism, and now the arm lifts up and returns whenever it is moved over a record.

I knew this was going to be a challenge from the start, the technical service manual for this model is available for download. Just getting the top cover off takes ~8 steps to complete, and there are several connection points (mechanical and electrical) that have to be installed or aligned when the top and bottom meet. I've been through the process five or six times in the last couple of years, but the problem remains.

Regarding the tonearm auto-return adjustment, I've tried moving it a little at a time through its entire range in both directions, then testing the result. It has no effect. I did not suspect it at first because I did not think I had disturbed its setting when I first opened up the unit, but tried adjusting it after discovering the problem to see if it might help.

I have a backup turntable, but it's a marginal belt driven manual model that's harder on my records. I'd like to get the PL-7 working again if possible. I've even considered disconnecting the tonearm return mechanism, but I'd rather get it back to normal if I can.

If anyone has any ideas please let me know. If you know of anyone who can repair it, I'll be considering that as well. But with used models selling for around $130 online it might be hard to find a place that would fix it for less.

Thanks,

Scott C. in Cary, NC USA

Scott, hopefully AK member Beej will see this and respond; he's a Pioneer PL-X guru.

I've opened up a similar model, and, IIRC, the lever that engages the auto-return needs to be aligned correctly to work.

Beej has a document on the repair of these that I've got a copy of. I'll check to see if you've got an email addy here and if so I'll send it along. Otherwise, feel free to PM me with your email addy if you'd like this document.

good luck!

Hey Scott,

I think Rene's got the issue nailed. Just a matter of aligning the mechanism properly. PM either one of us with an email address and we can send you the disassembly/reassembly guide. Nice looking PL-7, by the way.

Butch

Welcome to the Pioneer Pl-x turntable fan club, Scott!!!

With Beej's help, you are now in good hands!!! :thmbsp:

Hi Rene, Butch, Balifly,

PM Sent (to Butch). Thanks very much for your responses! I guess there's hope for it still.

I have a couple of sections (on paper) printed from the original repair/service manual for the turntable. I have some technical experience, but I find this documentation to be only marginal. There are some diagrams that show how to align the control mechanisms when reassembling, but they are a bit vague. I believe I have been following them, but the tonearm is not cooperating. I hope what you have is more helpful!

By the way that image I included is from someone else's sale ad; I found it on google images. My PL-7 looks about the same. No major damage but the dust cover is fogged. If I get it to work properly again I'll look into cleaning that. I saw a sticky posting that describes how to address that.

I'm using a Realistic/Shure RXT-5 cartridge on mine. It looks like this:
IMG_0007.jpg
I haven't seen the original cartridge in a long time (if it came with one). The RXT-5 tracks nicely at 3/4 gram thanks to its damping brush. I'm sure there are better ones out there though.

Thanks for the encouragement,

Scott

Hi Scott,

The RXT-5 from Realistic has good replacement stylus still available.

E
http://www.lpgear.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=LG&Product_Code=SHSRXT5

HE
http://www.lpgear.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=LG&Product_Code=SHSRXT5

SAS
http://www.lpgear.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=LG&Product_Code=SHN097HESAS

My version is the RXT-4 and the original stylus has been replaced with the SAS. :D :thmbsp:

Hope you get the Pioneer PL-7 back in order soonest!

Scott,

The PL-8 that I opened up using Butch's guide was the first of this series I worked on and his instructions were very helpful. The images and text are more than what's in the SM. It's actually a compilation of the SM and Butch's experiences. IIRC, I suggested a couple of edits/factoids based on my experience with the document which I think Butch has incorporated. It's usually a good idea to make sure the mechanism is at the proper step before you re-assemble it. Try to turn the platter (spindle) to ensure that you're at the rest position when you put it together (I'm going by memory here, the document may tell you different). Another suggestion I can make is to not completely screw the base back on until you verify correct function. You can turn the platter by hand and move the tonearm over towards the spindle to verify correct operation.

If you still need more help, that's what we're here for... pics can help us help you also.

Balifly: wow! I think I paid something like $50 for the cartridge originally (on sale). I knew that replacements would be scarce, but I'm going to take very good care of this one now. I think if I need a replacement I'll be looking at thrift stores and craigslist :rolleyes:

Thanks,

Scott

Scott,

The PL-8 that I opened up using Butch's guide was the first of this series I worked on and his instructions were very helpful. The images and text are more than what's in the SM. It's actually a compilation of the SM and Butch's experiences. IIRC, I suggested a couple of edits/factoids based on my experience with the document which I think Butch has incorporated. It's usually a good idea to make sure the mechanism is at the proper step before you re-assemble it. Try to turn the platter (spindle) to ensure that you're at the rest position when you put it together (I'm going by memory here, the document may tell you different). Another suggestion I can make is to not completely screw the base back on until you verify correct function. You can turn the platter by hand and move the tonearm over towards the spindle to verify correct operation.

If you still need more help, that's what we're here for... pics can help us help you also.

Good points, Rene. I bench test the operation of the unit before re-installing the isolators (Scott, these are the shock mounted screw-in feet) and re-inserting the RCA strain relief. If everything is properly lined up, it will function properly. Once I've bench tested it then on go the isolators in and in goes the strain relief.

Love those PL-X series units.

Sorry to bump an old thread but I thought that it was appropriate. Quick story for you guys. I am 26 and 3 months ago I was at a record store, I used my first turntable and I had to have one. FF 3 months and I own an entire vintage system but the biggest problem was the TT. I had a Technics SL-BD2 without a ground wire. Sunday (as in yesterday) I picked up an PL-7 on CL for 35 bucks. The RCA was weird, wouldn't play but it was pretty and matched my receiver. Long story short, I stumble on this thread, e-mail beej, get his instructions. After about 2-3 hours of work I'm blown away by this table. I got through it the first try and I have never gotten past the platter on a TT before. All the auto functions are working and the speed is perfect.

Thanks to Beej for displaying some true AK spirit, the kindness of the vintage loving strangers is truly a major reason that I have, for the first time in my life, a real hobby.

Thanks again Beej!

Hats off to August for following the guide and for asking the right questions BEFORE he started.

I am 26 and 3 months ago I was at a record store, I used my first turntable and I had to have one. FF 3 months and I own an entire vintage system but the biggest problem was the TT. I had a Technics SL-BD2 without a ground wire.

How much do you want for the Technics? Ground wires are no problem for me.

I picked up a PL-7 yesterday. It works perfectly and sounds pretty good with the brand new el cheapo AT90. This should hold me over until I get my Phase Linear Model 8000 (Pioneer PL-L1000) set up. Should I bother doing the plumber's putty mod? I have a V15 II and an OM30 super I can throw at it later, but for now I'm happy. The dust cover needs to be polished and I'm missing the hinges, which would be nice to have.

Attachments

• SNV10121.jpg
    SNV10121.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 305
  • SNV10123.jpg
    SNV10123.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 258
Very nice looking PL-7. I work on these units quite a bit and don't really think there's much to be gained by the mod but it's your choice. If you want/need to open it up shoot me a PM with an email address and I'll send you a guide on disassembling and reassembling these units.

Need to fix my Pioneer PL-7

I was hoping I could get a copy of the manual from beej. I'm not sure if this thread is still alive. My e-mail is lla_dtb@yahoo.com. It would be greatly appreciated as I am trying to do some work on my PL-7 and have never taken one apart. Thanks!

I was hoping I could get a copy of the manual from beej. I'm not sure if this thread is still alive. My e-mail is xxx. It would be greatly appreciated as I am trying to do some work on my PL-7 and have never taken one apart. Thanks!

Welcome to the AK turn table forum! :music:

If beej does not notice this old thread, PM him instead.

PL-8 speed issue

Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum so please excuse this lengthy post. I have just bought a PL-8 for my son, I suspect it had been in storage for some time as it was very dirty. After some cleaning I tested it, the automatic function didn’t work (not too bothered by that) but moving the arm started the platter as did pressing the start button. It was running slow at 33RPM (Whisky in a jar, not good!) but OK at 45RPM. I tried a few squirts of contact cleaner and pressed the speed button repeatedly, however it didn't make any difference until I let it run at 45rpm for a while. The LP was fine after this so I thought I had fixed it. However, the next day it was slow again so I went through the same procedure, again this worked. The next day, same scenario so I decided to open it up (as much as you can with the arm attached) and gave all the switches another squirt, but when I got it back together the platter started to rotate as soon as the power button was pressed and moving the arm failed to stop it so I suspect I have not quite got it back together properly! I’m hoping the speed issue may resolve itself after a bit more use, I don’t think there are any lubrication points, please correct me if I’m wrong, but it I would appreciate any advice you can give to get it working.

Back
Top Bottom