Please help me find the right turntable?

flybigjet

Remove Before Flight
Gent's--

It's time to grovel, beg and ask for a bit of help!

Long story short. I'd like to get a turntable. I inherited my father's Dual 1225, but have concluded that it's not worth the investment to refurbish when coupled with the costs of getting a new plinth and cover.

I've researched, researched, and done some more research, and I'm more confused than ever.

Here's my initial thoughts/requirements:

The table will be connected to a fully, from the ground-up restored Marantz 2325. The speakers will be fully restored Kef 104/2's.

It will be used by both my wife and I. Semi auto or needle lift and auto-shut off at the end of the record (preferred, actually) is mandatory. Let's just say "forgetful wife" and go from there.

We'll probably never have much more than 50 records, so this is a "fun thing" rather than a passion. Listening style is more along the lines of Lorde, Dido, Sarah McLachlan, Boston, 70's-80's-90's rock and pop than classical, jazz, piano, etc.

What it looks like is a consideration. Plasticy? Not so much. The looks are subject to final approval by the Minister of War and Finance. I'm completely happy with finding a good table and having a plain rosewood plinth fabricated. I found where I can get an acrylic cover custom made for a reasonable sum (~$100), so that would go nicely with a custom plinth.

This will be a one-time purchase, so no upgrade path is needed. Once I get it set up/tuned properly, I'm happy just to listen to it and not have to fiddle with settings all the time. I don't ever intend to get a "better" table, or worry about tonearm upgrades and the like.

Budget is about $450/500 as the upper end. This includes plinth and cover if they have to be fabricated.

If vintage, I'd prefer something that's been properly serviced, if not refurbished. I don't want to have to worry about things breaking all the time. Bombproof is good.

My wife is getting a *tiny* bit tired of my obsessing over everything audio related.... so I'm asking for help in keeping marital harmony in the house!

The more I look, the more I get overwhelmed, so a steer toward what will fulfill my needs will be very, very appreciated.

So. Help? Pretty please?

Thanks. Thanks. Thanks!

R.

Dual 1225 not worth the investment to bring back to service? Never heard of that.

Well, I've gotten that answer from the local turntable tech I've talked to (VERY knowledgable) and Bill at fixmydual.

It boils down to this:

Refurb: $150
Shipping: $50
New plinth: $200
New cover: $100

Total outlay: approx. $500. And at the end of it, I still have a mid-level table at best. So, it's not that it's not worth refurbishing, it's just that in my specific situation (not being able to use the case it's in), it might not be worth the investment.

It may be more feasible to find a table that will perform better for that $500 and sell the 1225 and it's unusual case on CL or Bartertown-- there was at least a fair bit of interest in the case when I posted a photo of it.

R.

There are any number of vintage Techniques and Pioneer direct drive, single play automatics available on that auction site that will fit the budget. Use this site to screen them:

http://www.vinylengine.com/turntable-database.php

Look for something that has a rumble figure of -70 dB or better (larger number) (That is VERY quiet) and that has a Wow and Flutter figure of .03% or better (very stable speed) and is listed as an automatic. You probably do NOT want a pitch control as that is just one more thing to need to fiddle with.

You need to factor in a new cartridge into the mix. For really good all around listening without breaking your budget look at the Shure M97XE. Less then $75 on Amazon. Should be able to get the cartridge and turntable for less then $300 or so total. That will leave the balance available for appearance treatment. Also, some of the Pioneers were very handsome wood plinths, but those are more pricey for the performance.

Make sure the Minster approves the choice before you buy. So if the "perfect turntable" is ending is 5 minutes and the Minister is an hour away, let it go, there will be another along if you have the patience.

Shelly_D

If you see one available a Denon DP-1200 would be a fine choice. They sound excellent, are reliable and (I think) rather attractive. Auto-shut-off and an arm that is able to carry a wide range of good carts happily.

Set a price point and go from there.

Confused? Price point set at/below $500.

The issue is that there are so many model numbers. This one is a manual... but wait... one digit off, and it's an auto. But reviews say to stay away from it... no, wait, they say it's a wonderful table.

Head? In danger of exploding.

Going to fly now. That's easier than this audio stuff!

R.

Here is a direct sugestion for you to consider:

Ebay - search for item 281721840121

Pioneer PL 7 direct drive

Rumble -78 dB

Wow and flutter .025 %

description and manual here:

http://www.vinylengine.com/library/pioneer/pl-7.shtml

Register - its free and no spam - and you can download and read the manual before you bid.

By the way, there are no bids on it at this time, opening bid is less then $100 and you have till Saturday to make up your mind.

Good Luck

Shelly_D

Here is something that might interest you: https://denver.craigslist.org/ele/5080518190.html

Here is some info on this turntable: http://www.vinylengine.com/library/yamaha/yp-d8.shtml

I always look locally first to avoid shipping.

That ad had only been posted for an hour. Called the gentleman and since I was headed to the airport, I had to take a leap of faith and purchased the table sight unseen. VERY nice gentleman, and after chatting about the table for a bit, he's going to hold it for me until tomorrow morning since I don't land until late tonight. Original owner who sounds like he really takes care of his toys.

More to follow after I pick it up tomorrow between trips.

A huge, huge "THANK YOU" to all who have posted help and advice!

R.

Confused? Price point set at/below $500.

The issue is that there are so many model numbers. This one is a manual... but wait... one digit off, and it's an auto. But reviews say to stay away from it... no, wait, they say it's a wonderful table.

Head? In danger of exploding.

Going to fly now. That's easier than this audio stuff!

R.

Sorry, got carried away. I have 3 tables. a VPI Scout, Pioneer PL630 and an AR XA. Once again IMO the Ar is the bst bang for the $$$ on the used market.

Back
Top Bottom