TT Quandry

promtbr

I DID do a LOT of thread searches about owners opinions on the TT's I have narrowed it down to.

My budget is ab. $3-4K with EVERYthing Cart excluded. I have gone back and forth between Vintage and new. If vintage, I would either pay for restoration/ refurbish or buy one already done.

I started craving Garrards, but the 301 after the dust settles would probably be out of budget. The 401 was of interest until I started reading more and more of its susceptiblility to speed inconsistencies. For Vintage I am looking hard at the Thorens 124 or possibly a 125. I kind of want to have a TT with an aftermarket arm either new or vintage. I am not about doing alot of maintenance. So vintage sort of scares me. I could do some minimal stuff, and not too worried about initial set up. I am about to attempt to change out tonearm to a KAB rewired one in one of my Technics 1200's and pretty sure I can handle the soldering and replacement.

The Linn Sondeks seem pretty complicated. I do want to try belt or idler drive. As I will keep one of my DD drive 1200s.

The new TT's I am looking at are SOTAs or possibly Michell Gyros. The VPI was considered but I don't want to use their Tonearms.

My music tastes are broad. About everything EXCEPT Jazz and Classical.

Any input would be greatly appreciate! I was reluctant to post this as I do know there are a zillion similar threads. SORRY! :boring:

I had a 401 as my primary table for three years. Like the 301, it needs a good 30-45 minutes to warm up before it'll maintain steady speed, but I didn't have any inconsistencies with it or the three others I restored.

Last edited:
I started with a Linn Sondek LP12 with Valhalla and Basik tone arm and Linn adikt cart.
Loved it. It was set up by a Linn tech in Ann Arbor. A Linn tech is a good person to know, if you have a Linn.
I upgraded to another LP12 with a Cirkus bearing and a Lingo power supply. I kept the Basik arm and cartridge.
It was a really good move! Love the TT! No rush for a better arm.
It is minimal investment to have a Linn tech set up the TT. Possible that the tech would have a good LP12 for sale?
The Cirkus bearing and power supply are important. The arm next, then the cart.
This is within your budget.

I started with a Linn Sondek LP12 with Valhalla and Basik tone arm and Linn adikt cart.
Loved it. It was set up by a Linn tech in Ann Arbor. A Linn tech is a good person to know, if you have a Linn.
I upgraded to another LP12 with a Cirkus bearing and a Lingo power supply. I kept the Basik arm and cartridge.
It was a really good move! Love the TT! No rush for a better arm.
It is minimal investment to have a Linn tech set up the TT. Possible that the tech would have a good LP12 for sale?
The Cirkus bearing and power supply are important. The arm next, then the cart.
This is within your budget.

Overture Audio?

A nicely restored TD 124 with a new SME arm in a new aftermarket plinth would be pretty sweet. Well within your price range.

A nicely restored TD 124 with a new SME arm in a new aftermarket plinth would be pretty sweet. Well within your price range.

Yeah this or the 125 is the direction I am leaning at present. I am looking at a bunch of unrestored or partially refurbished ones on e-bay. But it scares me. Most don't offer returns. I did look at the Well Tempered labs. I would look at SP 10s but that would be another DD deck. I really want to try belt or idlers.

Have you considered late-model used? You can sometimes get fantastic buys on stuff 1-5 years old. There are some motivated sellers out there. For $3-4K, you might get something that originally sold for twice that.

I have a little less than $2k invested in my near mint '61 TD-124 with SME 3009 S2 unimproved arm and layered plywood plinth. Jim Campbell rebuilt the motor and gave it some basic maintenance (it was in good shape to begin with), and it has been pretty much trouble-free for two years I've owned it.

Most importantly it sounds devine, plus it is lovely to look at and provides a wonderful tactile experience.

refurbed SOTA and OL Alliance arm

Talked a buddy into sending his SOTA vacuum model into them for refurbishment - it took a few months -but came back better than new with a arm platform pre-drilled for Rega pattern arms. Installed a Origin Live Alliance arm onto it and was again impressed with what a logical design this is. Should be comfortably within your price range.

I have a little less than $2k invested in my near mint '61 TD-124 with SME 3009 S2 unimproved arm and layered plywood plinth. Jim Campbell rebuilt the motor and gave it some basic maintenance (it was in good shape to begin with), and it has been pretty much trouble-free for two years I've owned it.

Most importantly it sounds devine, plus it is lovely to look at and provides a wonderful tactile experience.

Gorgeous deck BTW!

Thanks to all for your suggestions and input- very much appreciated!
After researching TTs based on my application and abilities, I have decided to go new.

I will be getting a Michell Gyrodec. I will post arm suggestions separately. As hard as I was looking at the old Thorens, I balked finally at getting the right one, the time and cost of proffesional restoration, and upkeep on my part vs a new deck. Also it seems prices keep climbing for restored 124s and I am tired of "buying high" (did that with Vintage Fly Rods when they were hot- when I got tired of them, I took a beating when they were no longer the trend).

Awesome forum!:thmbsp:

Back
Top Bottom