Will be Getting an Audio-Technica AT-LP120 Soon...Questions...

ClinicaTerra

As a holiday gift to me and my wife, we will be buying ourselves an Audio-Technica AT-LP120 table soon so we can begin enjoying and rediscovering my formidable vinyl collection on 33 and 45; the table will be connected to an Onkyo TX-8555 stereo receiver via the unit's PHONO inputs, but I had a couple of questions for those that may have specific knowledge about this turntable...

First of all, am I correct in stating this model DOESN'T come with a ground wire? From what I read, the "ground" is sort of built-in...is this true? Now, I also understand that the turntable has a built-in phono preamp which can be switched on or off...being that I will be plugging the RCA leads into my receiver's PHONO input, would I leave the Audio-Technica's preamp switched to LINE (essentially OFF)?

Does anyone know just how long the RCA leads are that come with this turntable? The unit will sit on top of a Bell'O audio tower rack and I'm concerned that it will be quite a far stretch to reach the back of the Onkyo receiver...

I will have further questions about setting this thing up once we get it with regard to tonearm balance, anti-skid, etc. but I will check back in with you folks once we're at that point...

Thank you, in advance, to anyone that could assist! :thmbsp:

As a holiday gift to me and my wife, we will be buying ourselves an Audio-Technica AT-LP120 table soon so we can begin enjoying and rediscovering my formidable vinyl collection on 33 and 45; the table will be connected to an Onkyo TX-8555 stereo receiver via the unit's PHONO inputs, but I had a couple of questions for those that may have specific knowledge about this turntable...

First of all, am I correct in stating this model DOESN'T come with a ground wire? From what I read, the "ground" is sort of built-in...is this true?

Correct. The table does not come with a ground wire. The table is internally grounded. I have this table as well (the non-usb version...the P L 120). I also have one other internally grounded table.

Now, I also understand that the turntable has a built-in phono preamp which can be switched on or off...being that I will be plugging the RCA leads into my receiver's PHONO input, would I leave the Audio-Technica's preamp switched to LINE (essentially OFF)?

No. You would switch the table to "PHONO". When you switch the table to "LINE", that's when the built in phono preamp is engaged, and allows you to connect it to any line/non-phono input of your receiver. Since your receiver has a phono input, the table must be switched to "PHONO".

Does anyone know just how long the RCA leads are that come with this turntable? The unit will sit on top of a Bell'O audio tower rack and I'm concerned that it will be quite a far stretch to reach the back of the Onkyo receiver...

The RCA leads on this table are 3 ft.

I will have further questions about setting this thing up once we get it with regard to tonearm balance, anti-skid, etc. but I will check back in with you folks once we're at that point...

Thank you, in advance, to anyone that could assist! :thmbsp:

See my replies in bold italic.

Last edited:
A lot of the LP120's functionality lies in the internal Pre-amp and USB output. If you're going into this purchase knowing that you won't use either you may be better of with a turntable that dosen't have them. Even though you can bypass the Pre-amp in the LP120 it's never truely "off" and can color the signal, there is more information about this elsewhere online as well as tutorials from people who have removed the Pre-amp entirely.

Food for thought.

See my replies in bold italic.

Thank you, analog; appreciate the response...

Correct. The table does not come with a ground wire. The table is internally grounded. I have this table as well (the non-usb version...the P L 120). I also have one other internally grounded table.[/quote]

Thank you for confirming this; I would actually PREFER the non-USB version (because I don't plan on using that feature at all, instead burning certain vinyl to my TASCAM CD recorder) but from what I understand it's out of production...:thumbsdn:

No. You would switch the table to "PHONO". When you switch the table to "LINE", that's when the built in phono preamp is engaged, and allows you to connect it to any line/non-phono input of your receiver. Since your receiver has a phono input, the table must be switched to "PHONO".

Got it -- thank you!!

The RCA leads on this table are 3 ft.

Thank you; do you know if they're detachable? Can I get an extension if necessary?

A lot of the LP120's functionality lies in the internal Pre-amp and USB output. If you're going into this purchase knowing that you won't use either you may be better of with a turntable that dosen't have them. Even though you can bypass the Pre-amp in the LP120 it's never truely "off" and can color the signal, there is more information about this elsewhere online as well as tutorials from people who have removed the Pre-amp entirely.

Food for thought.

Thank you for your input, Greyson...

Yes, I wouldn't be interested in either of those features, BUT I happen to like the looks of this turntable (I really wanted a Technics 1200 but since they've been out of production, the prices are way out of our budget) with the S-shaped tonearm and the look of the platter and such...

Is it really true that the preamp in the turntable is never fully off?

Thank you; do you know if they're detachable? Can I get an extension if necessary?[/QUOTE]

I can only tell you the phono cable is NOT detachable on my PL 120, and I believe the same would be true for the LP 120.

Thank you for your input, Greyson...

Yes, I wouldn't be interested in either of those features, BUT I happen to like the looks of this turntable (I really wanted a Technics 1200 but since they've been out of production, the prices are way out of our budget) with the S-shaped tonearm and the look of the platter and such...

Is it really true that the preamp in the turntable is never fully off?

You might not be able to get a Sl-1200 for the same price, but I bet you could get a similar Technics model with the aesthetics you desire if you watch the auction sites. I had thought about getting the AT-120LP and then doing the mods to remove the preamp, but then I realized I could go vintage for less money and work.

Clinica,

I did see a some PL 120's listed on Amazon, but they have gone the way of the SL1200 price-wise.

The PL 120 is no longer made. I saw a listing for a brand new PL 120 on Amazon (this was two days ago), and the asking price is $1000!!!

There were also used ones listed that START at $400!!

Ridiculous!

I bought mine brand new from a local hi-fi store and I paid $319 for it!

Clinica,

I did see a some PL 120's listed on Amazon, but they have gone the way of the SL1200 price-wise.

The PL 120 is no longer made. I saw a listing for a brand new PL 120 on Amazon (this was two days ago), and the asking price is $1000!!!

Ridiculous!

I bought one for about $150 brand new in 2006.

I have an LP120 that i bought about 4 months ago. Its a very decent table, even thought its Chinese made. I havent used it in a few months since i have not had much time lately to sit down and record albums, but when i get the chance, this thing will get a ton of use.

I can only tell you the phono cable is NOT detachable on my PL 120, and I believe the same would be true for the LP 120.

Thanks Analog,

I didn't think they were removable but wanted to be sure...

Can I get extension RCAs if I don't think the three feet will be enough?

You might not be able to get a Sl-1200 for the same price, but I bet you could get a similar Technics model with the aesthetics you desire if you watch the auction sites. I had thought about getting the AT-120LP and then doing the mods to remove the preamp, but then I realized I could go vintage for less money and work.

Thanks for your input and suggestion, crash...:thmbsp:

Clinica,

Ridiculous!

Wait -- is the PL 120 the version of the Audio-Technica WITHOUT the USB function?

Am glad I got the PL120 (non USB) back when cheap...

@ ClinicaTerra - This thread might interest you. I'm not sure the mods I made are 100% applicable to the USB model

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=519151

Thanks Frank!

Looks like an awesome find and it sure is a great looking table! Congtrats.

I would love to actually purchase a gently previously used Technics 1200 that's already set up, balanced, etc. with a good cart already on it, but can't find anything I really trust or can afford...

That said, I don't think, personally, it's really worth spending almost the same amount of money on a used non-USB Audio-Technica as a used SL1200...

Can anyone else tell me anything about the AT-LP120 prior to our purchase of it? Does the included cartridge boast better specs for "hi fi" use than the previous one that was packaged with the table? Should there be no issues with the table not coming with a ground wire? Will this deck be okay mating with my Onkyo TX-8555's phono input?

Oh, and also -- as far as immediate, out-of-the-box setup, what are the recommended "balance" and "anti-skating" settings for this turntable...and what's the general, overall setup procedure after plugging the arm into the headshell?

Back
Top Bottom