Best solution to use with Discwasher?

I use distilled water with some IPA in it. Use the DW to spread it out and wet the record, dry with MF towel.

Agree with dry for dust off purposes.

Wet cleaning with DiscWasher can put moisture in the grooves that could gunk up the stylus. Ask me how I know. :yes:

Use an RCM, a SpinClean, or many of the sink cleaning methods for your records. The various brushes are best for dust off only.

I use a home-brewed mix of one (1) part 99.9% pure isopropyl alcohol to seven (7) parts distilled water, with a few drops of dawn dish detergent as a surfactant. For my routine, I spray the front of the discwasher brush with the mix and then use as normal.

I haven't encountered any problems with my styli, but then again, I only use my discwasher on records that are relatively clean to begin with, I only use a very small amount of the mix, and I wait for the moisture to dry before playing them. I find that it greatly improves the discwasher's ability to pick up dust, just as dusting with a damp cloth is more effective than dusting with a dry one.

As with everything in this hobby, opinions differ, but I have been pretty happy with this setup.

Last edited:

Yep!
If your records need washing then you shoud do so prior to them getting to your turntable.

A wet Discwaher does not clean/wash the record it just makes the dirt and dust wet. Then when you play it you'll be wet sanding with the stylus.

I the same formula and do the same as 2ndGenSansui, use a pump mister to apply to the DW. 3 rotations and the LP is clean and dry. It's not like we're flooding the LP with fluid!

Audio Intelligent Premium One Step Formula with the Discwasher 3 brush

Last edited:
I use VPI record cleaning solution that came with the 17.0 with my Disc washer. But as a side note when I changed from my Stanton 881 to my Dynavector the background and extraneous noise seem to drop a magnitude.

Last edited:
I use distilled water with some IPA in it. Use the DW to spread it out and wet the record, dry with MF towel.

Anyone who says you should not use it wet is in error. It was designed to be used that way. While I agree the Discwasher is not made to clean or wash a "dirty" or soiled/contaminated record, the dampened pad is mainly designed to remove any errant dust between record plays and reduce or eliminate surface static. It can only do that if the pad is dampened with a proper agent. I have found that especially in low humidity conditions, if used dry, The Discwasher will just pick up dust and then leave quite a bit behind as you lift it off the record surface. When LIGHTLY dampened, this will not happen.

I concur. For years I have used a solution of distilled water with 1/2oz of 70% IPA per pint of water and a drop or two of laboratory grade wetting agent.

I apply an even trail of the liquid in a line on the leading edge of the Discwasher, and then spread it with a fine tooth brush to both dampen only across the leading edge and also remove any errant dust left from a previous cleaning.

It works very well, and I have used this method on my LPs for over 30 years now with no issues. My vinyl looks and sounds like new every play.

For newly acquired thrift finds I put them through my vacuum clean washing system first. This also has worked very well for me.

Last edited:

Note. . . See my above comment.

Each to their own, but the Discwasher is perhaps, misnamed.

It is highly effective when used dampened to remove errant dust that may have drifted onto the record between plays and also reduce or eliminate record surface static.

The idea with the Discwasher is to create a humid condition to assist in the removal of dust and to help prevent building up a static charge whilst cleaning the record. A thin line of liquid (straight distilled water is fine) laid across the leading edge of the device and then a quick swipe across this moistened edge with a clean something-or-other to assist in the pad soaking up the liquid (always used the small plastic Discwasher fluid bottle for this). Properly done, you should see 'very little to none at all' moisture reach the surface of the record.

Water. & agree DW is a dusting tool, not a deep clean method. Echowars has the process outlined as I remember it. My original bottle of DW fluid is long since gone - a little water seems to do the trick.

On all of my 3 pre 1980 Discwashers I use distilled water and gently mist the front side of the pad. I use one of the other half's used perfume bottles. Creates a small mist pattern and easy to get the correct amount.

ly
The idea with the Discwasher is to create a humid condition to assist in the removal of dust and to help prevent building up a static charge whilst cleaning the record. A thin line of liquid (straight distilled water is fine) laid across the leading edge of the device and then a quick swipe across this moistened edge with a clean something-or-other to assist in the pad soaking up the liquid (always used the small plastic Discwasher fluid bottle for this). Properly done, you should see 'very little to none at all' moisture reach the surface of the record.

+1 in agreement.
I think where some folks get astray is by using too much fluid on the edge of the Discwasher pad. Lightly dampened and spread across just the leading edge. The pad should not leave visible moisture on the record surface. If the amount is correct, as you "rock" the Discwasher backwards while the record is rotating on the plater, their is no wetness on the record or in the groves at all.

I can't imagine anyone getting gunk in the record groves unless the record is already fairly dirty or was maybe "cleaned" in previous years with some other poor technique. .. . ie the infamous silicone dust cloth or pad.

I have always used a Discwasher for over 30 years and have never gotten gunked up styli or record grooves, even before I ever started using a vacuum record cleaning machine. I have routinely inspected my stylus with a strong magnifying loop as well as a 50-200 power microscope. No residue, debris, or film left behind at all.

Last edited:
ly

+1 in agreement.
I think where some folks get astray is by using too much fluid on the edge of the Discwasher pad. Lightly dampened and spread across just the leading edge. The pad should not leave visible moisture on the record surface. If the amount is correct, as you "rock" the Discwasher backwards while the record is rotating on the plater, their is no wetness on the record or in the groves at all.

I can't imagine anyone getting gunk in the record groves unless the record is already fairly dirty or was maybe "cleaned" in previous years with some other poor technique. .. . ie the infamous silicone dust cloth or pad.

I have always used a Discwasher for over 30 years and have never gotten gunked up styli or record grooves, even before I ever started using a vacuum record cleaning machine. I have routinely inspected my stylus with a strong magnifying loop as well as a 50-200 power microscope. No residue, debris, or film left behind at all.

:thmbsp:

Back
Top Bottom